Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ATTENTION: Russians (.ru e-mail addresses)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
In a bid to stop the spambots, I've banned all ".ru" e-mail addresses as a number of recent spambots have had such e-mail addresses. However, this means that legitimate Russians cannot use a .ru e-mail address in their accounts. They'll get an error message saying their e-mail address is not allowed. Changing it to something non .ru will get around that problem (which means expect more .com spambots).

If this is too much of a crisis for our Communist friends, I'll consider approach #2, which is banning all Russian characters from post titles or just going whole hog for approach #3 and creating a Codex "Are you a Human?" registration test.

I'll see how this goes for now though and look at implementing some kind of "Codex Registration Test" later.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
iinoiyiii iaoueapnu ia oaeea nnueee, oiou oai e iiiai eiou ll yoi oaea iacuaaaony niai.
iaiaaaea iialnoaiae
+anoiua iauyaeaiey aaaaiaa
+anouiua iauyaeaiey aaaiaa
aaaiaaa iaaaeaeeiinoe iineaa
aaaiaa iiaeoaee
aaaiaa iiiaeaiee iaaaceiu
aaaiaa auoeil
iaaiaiaay eiaioniay iaaaeu
aaaiaa iaaaeaeeiinoe iiailneiaua
aaaiaa eoocianeee

edit- o shit, I forgot to switch accounts

Frau Bishop

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
or just going whole hog for approach #3 and creating a Codex "Are you a Human?" registration test.
Maybe also everyone who's already registered should do the test, just to be on the safe side. :lol:

FrancoTAU

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
iinoiyiii iaoueapnu ia oaeea nnueee, oiou oai e iiiai eiou ll yoi oaea iacuaaaony niai.
iaiaaaea iialnoaiae
+anoiua iauyaeaiey aaaaiaa
+anouiua iauyaeaiey aaaiaa
aaaiaaa iaaaeaeeiinoe iineaa
aaaiaa iiaeoaee
aaaiaa iiiaeaiee iaaaceiu
aaaiaa auoeil
iaaiaiaay eiaioniay iaaaeu
aaaiaa iaaaeaeeiinoe iiailneiaua
aaaiaa eoocianeee

edit- o shit, I forgot to switch accounts

You're batting average is below the Mendoza line, but when you connect it's a solid hit.

Lumpy

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
DarkUnderlord said:
or just going whole hog for approach #3 and creating a Codex "Are you a Human?" registration test.
Maybe also everyone who's already registered should do the test, just to be on the safe side. :lol:
Wouldn't that also get rid of most Bethesda fanboys? And Volourn?

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, well, I have '.ru' adress, but I can login and all.
Does it mean that I just will not be able to edit my profile info unless I change my email?

Balor

Arcane
Btw, why not really forbid cyrillic letters is posts and all? Not that I'm going to post anything in Russian, and it's MUCH more preferable to banning '.ru' mails.

Balor

Arcane
Oh... anyway, I think it may cause headache for new people from Russia who'd like to register an account... since most '.ru' ones are used.
I vote for banning cyrillic characters. Not that we'll be having a Russian forum or something. If I'd like to post in Russian, I'd go to an other forum, myself... and I sure any sensible Russian will do the same.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Balor said:
Does it mean that I just will not be able to edit my profile info unless I change my email?
Yup. If you edit your profile and hit submit, you should get an error message telling you you're a rusky spambot.

It is a flawed methodoloy as yes, it does prevent sane Russians from signing up. It also doesn't prevent all spambot as there are some who register with .com or other e-mail addresses. Likewise banning Cryllic characters would stop the Russian ones (our major problem) but wouldn't stop the odd English bot we've had come through.

What I'm basically saying is I'll ditch the ban on .ru and implement a Codex Registration Test of some sort. Once I figure out what questions need to be asked...

Lumpy said:
Frau Bishop said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Wouldn't that also get rid of most Bethesda fanboys? And Volourn?
Think of that as a fringe benefit.

Seven

Erudite
It is a flawed methodoloy as yes, it does prevent sane Russians from signing up.

I object to the very notion that Russians can be sane.

On an unrelated topic, the R U Human test seems like a good idea for preventing spam bots in general.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
This test could be really interesting. What's considered human around here?
Will Fallout be involved? Or the question what electric sheep count if they can't sleep? :)

Seven

Erudite
Re: Business help in China

koni20 said:
I am new at this and I'd ask someone to help me with advice. I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year. I would like to know if they are for real and if they are how can I get quality sales reps in China. I didn't list the domain because promoting something is forbiden in most forums. So if you want to help me out please contact me direct at my email:
kimwongshu@yahoo.com

This is the funniest thing I've ever read--Looks like the bots have a deep sense of irony.

Jason

chasing a bee
It posted the exact same thing over at DAC, and in the Wasteland to boot. Makes me wonder if it's one of the kids screwing around rather than a bot.

Atrokkus

Erudite
DAMN SMART, DU! DAMN SMART!

Bah, well whatever. I forgot which of my addresses I entered back then... probably .ru...

What if I have to edit my profile, huh? Duh...

Why not try to implement prohibiting russian text in messages, it would pretty much do the trick, but I have no idea how are you going to implement that...

And get rid of non-registered posts at Teudogar forum, for fuck's sake already!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
metallix said:
DAMN SMART, DU! DAMN SMART!
Damn straight. We've only had two bots since I implemented it!

metallix said:
What if I have to edit my profile, huh?
For now, it means you'd have to change your e-mail address, Communist Pig.

metallix said:
And get rid of non-registered posts at Teudogar forum, for fuck's sake already!
The what forum? Ohh... You know, I always skip those forums. It's fixed now and I've moved all the "formerly spam" posts to Retardo Land.

Atrokkus

Erudite
For now, it means you'd have to change your e-mail address, Communist Pig.
WEll, not a problem, i got a gmail.com email as well. But how am I supposed to change it now? Or the engine accepts the application if the email is changed to .com?
IM AFRAID TO TRY!!^ 1161

Anyways, in order to forewarn the non-bot Russian users that might end up in this den of evil, you should include an ALL-CAPS warning message in the registration form - "NO RUSSIAN EMAILS ALLOWED" or something like that.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
The system will (should) let you update your e-mail (if you want). Just keep in mind what I said above about removing it and putting in a Registration Test of some sort instead though.

Atrokkus

Erudite
The system will (should) let you update your e-mail (if you want).
Well, you're in for a surprise here: IT DOESN'T.
I entered my gmail address, clicked submit, and the damn thing called me a rusky spambot... Me cry.

I'd rather have the option 2 and 3. Either way willl do, although the 3rd one seems more elegant, and effective too (some bots use roman alphabet).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom