Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

so help me some more with space rangers 2

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been continuing to play the game since you guys keep insisting that it is orgasmically good. I've paid for a liberated a star system from the dominators (and participated), total cost including repairs: about 4000. Profits: something like 70 ranger points, which do me no good at all, and about 60 nodes, which also do me no good at all. I've been pirating and bought a new hull with 4 guns on it, and I've figured out an exploit to win in the black holes (you can fly backwards + the AI is stupid + the fragment gun balls stick around for a while = enemies will fly right into my fire while I stay out of their range).

I'm still not having all that much fun, but right now I'm stuck on a text adventure that is frustrating. I'm not the type of person who can think ahead 15 turns in a game of chess. It's the chinese checkers one, where you have 7 tiles in a line, 3 white on one end, 3 black on the other, and you have to get them to switch places in 15 turns. I've been trying to do this for about half an hour. If they'd given me 16 turns I could've done it, but I can't figure out how to do it in 15.
Skip all the "omg ur stupid kingstupidface!" stuff

bryce777

Erudite
Well, it is not a game for everyone, I think. You may be just one of those people. You do not seem to like the equipment upgrading and stuff like that very much - for me, it makes me happy to think up the best build possible, which changes at various places in the game.

Even doing that, the black holes can be tough, so I am not sure I would call it an exploit.

The chinese checker thing is sort of hard, and there are two in there I would say are extremely hard. If you paste the text I am sure I can help you, but I don't remember the way off the top of my head.

I think the basic strategy is to do the places furtherst from the middle first, and then to work inwards, that way you are minimizing the distances you need to move. I am not sure that makes sense, but expliaing it better would probably take a diagram.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
game.gif

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
No it didn't make any more sense. I tried to control where the space went rather than the blocks, and tried to avoid getting 2 of the same color beside each other (this always ends up in a loss) and I got lucky on my first try (I mean, this last time when I tried the new strategy), though.

Section8

Cipher
Is it possibly one of those ones where a "move" counts as changing which piece you're moving? I remember a chinese checkers puzzle in the 11th hour, where a series of moves counted as one "continuous move" and was completed when you starting moving a different piece.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The way I did it was
1 BBB_WWW
2 BB_BWWW
3 BBWB_WW
4 BBWBW_W
5 BBW_WBW
6 B_WBWBW
7 _BWBWBW
8 WB_BWBW
9 WBWB_BW
0 WBWBWB_
1 WBWBW_B
2 WBW_WBB
3 W_WBWBB
4 WW_BWBB
5 WWWB_BB

...erm. Did I count right? I've been trying to rewrite this over and over and I get the same problem every time. Maybe the count starts at 0 instead of 1...? Or I probably just don't remember what I did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom