Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's Guild Wars?

Sirus

Liturgist
Lately I've been pretty fed up with WoW, because of general boringness and unbalanced sides in PvP. I've heard Guild Wars is good and I played in beta a bit, but not enough to give me a good idea of what it's like. I'm mainly a soloer(If only because getting a group together is a pain in the ass). And I want to know what you guys think of it.

I like it a lot. You pretty much get a nice MMORPG without the monthly fees.

Soloing is no problem. I pretty much solo everything except the story missions with my warrior/monk. I could even get away with soloing most of those but it's nice for a change of pace and easy to find a group then. It's supposed to get harder, but I'm still soloing against fair-sized groups of 16-19th level enemies and doing fine. The only thing that gives me much trouble soloing is when I run into a group with a debuffer, poisoner, and healer, since they can bleed me off faster than I can kill them. There's also NPC henchmen with fairly effective AI (better than some of the players I've wound up with) if you don't feel like messing with finding a good group.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Let me put it this way: Guild Wars is the digital equivilent of sex, if you like PVP and low-grind gameplay.

Snuffles

Novice
So far I've been able to solo every mission/quest if that is what you want to do. I have co-op'd plenty as well but i'm just too impatient to wait for people and at the same time I quite like to stop mid mission/quest and grab a drink (totally do-able with henchmen). I'm basically taking three chars through the game, doing each mission/quest thrice. The story is quite nice to follow

I enjoyed WoW, although i'm getting sick of it now after four months so i'm sort of in the same boat, I would say it is worth a try.

SerpentKing

Novice
kill

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Guild Wars, and contemplated buying it the other day. The idea of free monthly gameplay is attractive, but how's the lag?

Sarvis

Erudite
Re: kill

SerpentKing said:
Yeah, I've heard a lot about Guild Wars, and contemplated buying it the other day. The idea of free monthly gameplay is attractive, but how's the lag?

I haven't noticed any. Of course, I have broadband so ymmv...

malhovic

Novice
Well so far, I have played this a bit and enjoyed it. One problem, you can not skip pre-searing to my knowledge as i would like the option to start out as a more powerful character from the beginning. I am not talking the ability to start at Level 20 right off the bat, i am talking about starting off as a level 8-10 character and working right into post-searing. That and I think they should unlock the PVP system so that we don't have to play the character all the way through first and then be able to use them in PVP.

Sarvis

Erudite
malhovic said:
Well so far, I have played this a bit and enjoyed it. One problem, you can not skip pre-searing to my knowledge as i would like the option to start out as a more powerful character from the beginning.

Says the guy who never wants to leave pre-searing... ;)

I am not talking the ability to start at Level 20 right off the bat, i am talking about starting off as a level 8-10 character and working right into post-searing. That and I think they should unlock the PVP system so that we don't have to play the character all the way through first and then be able to use them in PVP.

Actually you don't, one of the recent updates gives you points for PvP battles which can be redeemed to unlock skills for PvP only chars. Of course you get fairly few points in the early arenas, but you can still do it.

lilyve

Novice
Guild Wars does not require a monthly fee in order to play, making the title unique among high-profile MMORPGs.

mathboy

Liturgist
Good thing you dug up a two and a half months old thread where it's already been said then.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
lilyve said:
Guild Wars does not require a monthly fee in order to play, making the title unique among high-profile MMORPGs.

Neither does the vanilla version of Anarchy Online. Well, not at the moment, anyway - and I think the free access has been recently extended by another year (??).

Wow.
Old thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom