Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToC is still HIRING ! Submit yourselves !

LlamaGod

Cipher
DAoC

Surlent

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
I really don't play much GW anymore.
Eh Sol, it doesn't really help our recruitment if our guild leader comes to thread to say gw is lackluster and you don't want to play.
merry said:
Hi I still have Guild Wars installed and I'm gonna play again someday.
Nice to know that. :)
theverybigslayer said:
DAOC=WOW=Guild Wars=Online shit
If you're not much into online gaming I can see why gw isn't your thing. And I understand if some of you think gw is boring. But it's still personal preference and others like me don't share it. FFS that is why this thread is all about finding those others who do NOT think gw sucks goat balls.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't think GW sucks. I just think it could be better, and I'm worn out from playing so much of it. Anyway, Surlent is the leader now. I'll be on from time to time.

Sarvis

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
merry andrew said:
Its PvP game is pretty lame (compared to other MMOs), though.
Yeah, it's much better when the people who have been playing the longest/have the best items automatically win :roll:
That hasn't been fixed. Nubs that get rushed to the highest-level cities have access to some of the more powerful skills via skill trainers, and then can turn around and use those to get a whopping advantage in PvP. Or, melee characters twinked with high-grade crafted armor or maxed out weaponry, or Purple/Gold weapons (since there's no level requirement on items), just rawfulpwn everything. A twinked W/Mo is basically unstoppable in the first few arenas, as the only hope you have of killing one is getting a Mesmer with the precise skill setup and the intelligence to use his skills to shut the W/Mo down instead of just spamming Conjure Phantasm on anything that moves then bitching when the team gets steamrolled.

So twinks have a small advantage in the first three arenas you reach during PvE. Wow, that definately ruins the PVP for the entire game. :roll:

No, but it ruins the PvP during the period of the game the player is most impressionable.

In short, GW doesn't solve the problem of 'ganking newbs.' Levels mean less in GW, but to balance that, equipment and skill choice mean more. Someone who's been twinked and rushed will easily pwn someone who's just as powerful as their current, non-twinked means allow them to be.

And I'd say GW's current PvP pales in comparison to WoW's (especially post-Battlegrounds) or DAOC's.

So in short, GW doesn't solve the problem of other games' PvP systems, and it doesn't do PvP any better than those other games either.

Meh. You'll never even see PvP unless you deliberately go to the arenas. It's not like unsuspecting newbies or afk players have to worry about getting ganked for "honor" or anything. And the low level ones are rather pointless anyway, so there's not much reason to rush to Droknar and run back and kill everyone except for empty kicks. The rewards are nil and it's random matching, meaning chances are pretty good you're going to get a suck team anyway (no tank, no monk, all noobs, etc.). I just skipped them my first time. I also did try quite a few matches in Ascalon and Yak's Bend and only got murdered by a twinked W/Mo once. His team was all excited afterwards they had won their 10th match and then I took the wind out of their sails by explaining what happened.

What gripes me much more is that you can't kick a worse than useless team member out during a mission. At least then you can always give the other PC's the do not resuscitate order. :)

Ganking is all about 'empty kicks,' though. Actually, the kicks aren't that 'empty' if you're ganking with a friend or someone's watching you play. It can be downright hilarious. Sure, if you're ganking solo it's just lonely and pathetic, but with a group there are some great laughs to be had as others get furious.

Anyway, yeah, the newb arenas are indeed chock-full of newbs, which explains 75-80% of the losses you'll see with the random teaming. But I've seen twinked W/Mos more times than I can count, (they've got those Firey swords like the Ascalon noble guard use), and actually I saw a twinked Elementalist the other day (she had Meteor Storm at level 13).

Walks with the Snails said:
Sounds like someone's been spending far too much time in the Ascalon arena. Just like terrorizing noobs "fairly"? :lol:
I'm level 12, so no, I haven't. I played about 20-30 rounds in Ascalon, and ~10 in Shiverpeak.

Really, that was a piss poor attempt to villify me, and by proxy, render my opinions worthless. Try again, nublet.

Aww, I feel your angst. When it feels like the whole world hates you it's easy to feel threatened. :cry: <- this one is intended to be mocking

I thought the smiley was enough to clearly denote a good-natured attempt at humor but apparently not. Will hand signals work better next time? :P <- this one is a different smiley but again I mean it in a mocking way

Anyway, yeah, the newb arenas are indeed chock-full of newbs, which explains 75-80% of the losses you'll see with the random teaming. But I've seen twinked W/Mos more times than I can count, (they've got those Firey swords like the Ascalon noble guard use), and actually I saw a twinked Elementalist the other day (she had Meteor Storm at level 13).

I'm level 12, so no, I haven't. I played about 20-30 rounds in Ascalon, and ~10 in Shiverpeak.

Guess I should have been paying more attention in my piss poor attempt to discredit you, but it struck me later. Somewhere, your extensive experience with the early arenas morphed to 30-40 rounds, of which the majority of your losses were attributed to noobs rather than twinked characters, leaving our "countless" tally of twinks at about 3 assuming equal amounts of losses and wins on your part and one twink per party. So you just discredited yourself in attempting to defend yourself from me. I find this rather amusing. Is that wrong?

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Well, I'm still settling in after my move. I'll be playing again once I get a real connection (whoring an AOL free trial right now, har!)

GO FOR THE MOUNTAIN GUILD HALL OMG

Shangnak, quit being a fuckwit. Having a differing opinion than yours isn't 'edgy,' nor is it meant to be. Jesus, it's getting to the point where you might as well start spouting 'r00fles,' because your average post quality is dropping into Volourn range.

I guess I misread you, Snails. I'd apologize, but you're not really a good enough poster for me to care. Plus you're from Texas, making you subhuman. gg.

Ascalon PvP arena with my alt W/Me last night:

~20 rounds

Equipment:
-Warriors had a 66% chance to be using a Firey Dragon Sword (I saw at least 2 per round).
-Rangers had a 33% chance to be using a Storm Bow.
(Caster gear is much harder to identify, so I can't speak for it).

-I was hit with OBSIDIAN FLAME in the Ascalon Arena by a level 10 Elementalist. The earliest you can get Obsidian Flame is in DRAKNOR'S FORGE. That means the fucker was rushed all the way to DF.

In short, rushing and twinking isn't a 'rare' thing. It's by far the norm.

Sarvis

Erudite
Shangnak, quit being a fuckwit. Having a differing opinion than yours isn't 'edgy,' nor is it meant to be. Jesus, it's getting to the point where you might as well start spouting 'r00fles,' because your average post quality is dropping into Volourn range.

I guess I misread you, Snails. I'd apologize, but you're not really a good enough poster for me to care. Plus you're from Texas, making you subhuman. gg.

~20 rounds

Equipment:
-Warriors had a 66% chance to be using a Firey Dragon Sword (I saw at least 2 per round).

-I was hit with OBSIDIAN FLAME in the Ascalon Arena by a level 10 Elementalist. The earliest you can get Obsidian Flame is in DRAKNOR'S FORGE. That means the fucker was rushed all the way to DF.

In short, rushing and twinking isn't a 'rare' thing. It's by far the norm.

Umm... you don't need to rush or twink to get weapons, you can just use storage.

Also, what's so great about a storm bow? I just saw a list of stats the other night, and for my money a max damage flatbow looks like the best bow in the game.

Quit while you're behind. This is getting pathetic. If you want to keep on digging it's your call, though.

Meh. Having the quality of my posts called into question by you isn't really going to keep me up tonight. Who are you again? People who just drop by every so often to dump a load of bile without contributing much tend not to stick in my memory, seeing how common they are.

~20 rounds

Equipment:

Aw, that's so sweet. You actually doubled your already considerable experience with a new character for the sake of this argument. Oh, I know, you'll deny it because that's not cool. Assuming you're not just pulling all of this entirely out of your ass....

FYI, Fiery Dragon Swords usually kinda suck because they tend to drop at a midlevel area. I hardly ever see fiery dragon swords used later on in the game. Noobs just tend to go for them because they look cool, and that therefore makes them good. See, you fell for it, too. You can also pick up endgame-worthy sword skills early on. My guess would be most of these uber twinks you see are newbies who bought a dragon sword from one of the ten billion people selling them in Ascalon. You can't toss a rock in Ascalon without hitting someone gouging noobs. If I really wanted to rush endgame skills and tear up newbies, I think I'd go for hammer instead. I imagine area effect knockdown would really puzzle them. Or maybe just my standard PvE selection of Battle Rage and adrenal axe skills. Your hordes of w/mo's rushing would have a bit more weight if they were all wearing Droknar armor. Go ahead and play another 30 rounds tonight for me and tell me how many you saw, k? I'll be here tomorrow.

Yah, he rushed. It's not a bad skill but causes exhaustion. Wouldn't be my first pick. Guess he wanted the earth prot spells and still have a good attack.

Sarvis said:
Also, what's so great about a storm bow? I just saw a list of stats the other night, and for my money a max damage flatbow looks like the best bow in the game.

Yeah, it's a style over substance thing. You can get away with just looking cool when it doesn't really matter, i.e. in early arenas or after you're done. People farm for storm bows too in the hopes of getting an uber one to sell to people who've beat the game and just don't care about anything but getting the "perfect" bow that looks cool and has great mods, so there's lots of less than perfect ones out there for people who want to look cool.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shangnak, quit being a fuckwit. Having a differing opinion than yours isn't 'edgy,' nor is it meant to be.
Yeah, I know. I was being a dick.
But I was actually responding to your knee-jerk fuckwittish response to Walk's rather gentle jibe. In fact you do that a lot, hence my conclusion that you have an "edginess" addiction. You can prove me wrong if you like; it's always good to have another intelligent poster. Other than that, I have no problem with you, or the fact that you might have a different opinion.

Jesus, it's getting to the point where you might as well start spouting 'r00fles,' because your average post quality is dropping into Volourn range.

How DARE you insult Volourn like that! Roofles is a quality trademark!

Actually, in terms of "quality" posts I try to keep the level of variety up. It only takes a quick look at my posts via my profile page to see that I try to eleviate my boring meandering posts (like this one) with ridiculous short posts (like the above one). Therefore, hopefully, I will not be labelled as an overly acidic twat, nor a bore, but some interesting funky-smelling melange.

Actually, it probably has more to do with whether Im drinking or not. Take your pick.

I guess I misread you, Snails. I'd apologize, but you're not really a good enough poster for me to care.
And there you go again.
Actually, word has it on iRC that Walks is considered a rather fine poster and that you are merely annoying. But I shouldn't have to point out the obvious, so will leave it at that.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Walks with the Snails not a good enough poster? Actually I think it's a pity he doesn't post more often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom