Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any games with great capital ship fights?

Higher Game

Arcane
Freespace 2 and Tachyon:The Fringe are the two space sims I've played so far, and I would like another one with awesome capital ship fights. Dogfighting does get boring after a while!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The Starfleet Command series are all about cap ships. However, they're not first person. Then again, first person cap ship combat with joystick controls has never felt right with me. If you do go with the Starfleet Command games, I'd stick with SFC2 or SFC: Orion Pirates rather than SFC3. SFC3 was dumbed down.

There was Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy that were first person, though. There's also the Battlecruiser 3000AD series of games that are first person. Be prepared for scary amounts of interface in the BC3000AD games, though. They're decent games, but they have gobs and gobs of features and each one has a place on the keyboard.

Fez

Erudite
You're not going to find much in the way of joystick dog fighting if that's what you want.

gromit

Arcane
I'm afraid that I will never, ever find a cockpit-view game to top Freespace 2. Whenever I get sad about it, though, I just replay it. It is simply the tops when it comes down to taking down a giant cruiser.

Saint_Proverbius said:
There's also the Battlecruiser 3000AD series of games that are first person.
By burning wick, on candle black
Four-axis stick and talk of smack
By dorkish heart and powers be
Derek Smart, I summon thee!
*crack of thunder*

RAG

Educated
Nexus the Jupiter Incident is really great game.
One I've been waiting for many years and was worth it.

You can't get more capital than this.

Saran

Scholar
Iwar 1 and 2 should keep you happy for a while, you should also have a good look around the net, there are truckloads of indie space sims floating around the place with Capship engagements.

But if you get i-war 2 you should pay a visit to:

http://www.i-war2.com/

They have shitloads of mods and bug fixes that will make it even better.

(It hasnt been updated in a while though.)

Higher Game

Arcane
Thanks for the recs, guys! I was thininking of a joystick type game, to be more clear, like Freespace 2. I haven't been able to play any of these yet becase my computer with a decent graphics card is broken, but I'll remember them.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I thought Terminus had really good zero grav fighting with proper physics (fly in one direction, spin and shoot in another while continuing in the old direction) and decent graphics, plus good ship customization. The rest of the game was pretty lousy though. Especially the grunt work of going from station to station and mining and trading. It was toil the way it was implemented.

EDIT: I should note you don't control cap ships, but the joystick combat is good. You can fight some capships, I'm pretty sure. It's been a while.

chaedwards

Liturgist
If you haven't seen it already, check out The Babylon Project. It started out as a mod for Freespace 2, but as Volition released the Source Code, it can run stand alone. So far, has two campaigns and a mission pack available for it.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Nexus is good fun, but there are a serious number of bugs with it. If you don't complete missions in a certain way it will sometimes crash. It is also fairly tempremental sometimes about a large number of issues. Otherwise, quite fun. Strategic and tactical cap-ship combat.

If the babylon project is the same as "I've found her" I really advise against it. I tried it out once and "space is big" is all I can say. It was really quite tedius. I can't remember if it was Ifh but there was one space sim that I played in the babylon universe where you fought against the minbari and it was hell - your ship was effectively useless. The range of combat + speed of the ships + the slow rate of fire on your weapons all contributed towards frustration and ultimate removal of the game.

Halcyon Sun was a bit of a giggle. Basically a space fighter game with a story. Arcadey controls, story was linear and more soap opera than space opera. I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for it.

If you're into owning your own galactic corporation supporting the production and outfitting of fighters, cap ships and other goodies, try X2: the threat. You get to pilot zippy fighters, slower gunboats, corvettes, battleships and carriers. It does suffer from a flawed economic model, though. The only profitable business being the solar power plant: one that doesn't require raw materials (other than sunlight and a crystal every now and then) and just sells to everyone. Building manufacturing plantsfor the crystals or building higher level market goods isn't worth it, either. This was a while ago and a patch may have fixed it, though I doubt it somewhat. Other than that, gorgeous looking game, moderately entertaining combat (so far as I got, anyway - which wasnt far).

Can't really think of any other space-fighter vs cap-ship games.

obediah

Erudite
I haven't played a decent space sim in forever. I just got freespace II from a friend - any suggestions on a controller for it , and I-War II as well. I've got a mouse and a PS2 controller, but I don't think either of those are going to cut it. Any suggestions? The controller needs to be USB and work under XP. I don't mind dropping a bit of scratch for something that works well - I've already got a cheap joystick with a busted throttle, and a hat thing that's loser than your mom after Fez has buried his pope hat in her.

Oh yeah, I guess this is in the wrong spot, or covered in an old thread, but I remember that I wanted to ask now and I'm in a hurry - so I apologize beforehand.

EDIT-PS. I'd really prefer not to give any of my money to microsoft, but if it destroys the competition, I'll swallow my pride.

Saran

Scholar
You heard right, one of the best space sims i've ever played, though it is very linear, but its one of those games in which the story is told so well it doesnt bother you, its a shame that their probably will never be a sequel, at least until space sims become a safer investment, then again, it could be worse, Dr Derek Smart, self proclaimed master of the universe, could be making it. *shiver*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom