Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion interview on Evil Avatar

keeks

Novice
There's a relatively long interview with two guys from Bethesda up at Evil Avatar. Too bad they didn't ask any questions about the dialogue.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
A little tidbit

Jashin: Can I bluff and use my poker face? Bluff and get the best of a higher level character for instance?
Emil: Possibly. All of that dialogue is unique, so it depends on the quest, the NPCs you're dealing with, etc. But you'll always have a few dialogue options.
Jashin: Wow, the next Deus Ex, perhaps?
bapenguin: As long as it's not Deus Ex II.
Jashin: I can't imagine what you're suggesting.
Emil: hehe

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aha! No more to-hit roll. So who said combat was basically like MW just with blocking?
I am beginning to hope Oblivion combat will be like improved Gothic combat.

Emil: Yeah...other fantasy/medieval games have obviously offered horse-based combat...the Joan of Arc game, some MMOs, but none of them have offered the kind of intense, mano y mano first-person combat like we're doing.
Hah! He doesn't know Mount&Blade of course!

Quigs

Magister
All of our dialog is voiced, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that we've got more dialog than any other game ever

*cough*Fable*cough*

Of all the things to talk about, why spoken lines?

It does self-shadowing, as well. The whole nine yards and then some.

Ive actually played the very first video game to put shadows. Some odd atari game that had you flying around a barn. Its goofy that shadows really havent come too far, but are still Ubah HY TeK!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Jashin: Emil you are a Thief guy, which game did you work on?
Emil: Yep, I am. I did some level and voice acting work on Thief Gold, and was senior designer on Thief 2 and Thief: Deadly Shadows
Emil: Well, I'm the designer tasked with the Arena and Dark Brotherhood quest lines.
The Dark Brotherhood is our assassin's guild...that's our primary "evil" quest line, where you're a murdering psycho, and you like it. I've also been pretty heavily involved in the stealth gameplay as a whole.
Well, they've got the right guy for those sorts of quests.
I played Morrowind with a mainly sneaky guy; hopefully Oblivion will allow that sort of character even more, i.e. not force you to compromise him for the sake of the linear central plot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This is old news. We've already known about the lack of to-hit rolls and the heavy use of blocking and parrying in Oblivion's combat, so why is everyone acting like they've never heard about it before?

We knew about the voice acting too, so what's the point of 'calling them out' by making a Fable reference? KOTOR, KOTOR2 and Jade Empire all have full VOs. This is all very asinine.

kathode

Novice
Developer
The shadow and HDR and some of the tech stuff is new info, but you guys hate tech, so.... ;)

Fresh

Erudite
bapenguin: Any plans for dual processor support then? Considering the upcoming dual core processors from Intel and AMD this year, which could be very beneficial.
Jashin: As you can see, bap’s all about tech.
kathode: Oblivion will definitely benefit from a multi-processor setup.

This sounds kinda menacing to me. So far Ive hoped that a AMD64 3500 or something would be enuf cpu-wise to "handle" Oblivion comfortably, but I guess not?

crpgnut

Augur
@!H

I didn't get that from the interview at all. I'm sure your AMD will be fine as will my P4 HT/3.4 gig machine. What Kathode said is that Ob will benefit from a multi-processor setup; not that it would be necessary. If you have dual processors the game will run faster and more efficiently. It'd be cool if Kathode and MSFD would jump in here and tell us what machine they're testing the game with and how it runs right now, before optimization. Until the game is complete, they really have no idea what the final requirements will be.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
kathode said:
The shadow and HDR and some of the tech stuff is new info, but you guys hate tech, so.... ;)
I like HDR and your newly implemented shadows as much as the next graphics enthusiast, but was there ever any question that HDR would be implemented?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I'll tell you what kind of machine I'm currently developing on, but not how it runs (hey, it's not done yet, so any performance hints I can give you have no bearing on the final game anyway, and besides, I run the game in the debugger most of the time). I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800XT with 256MB. All fairly middle of the road stuff nowadays.

Fresh

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I'll tell you what kind of machine I'm currently developing on, but not how it runs (hey, it's not done yet, so any performance hints I can give you have no bearing on the final game anyway, and besides, I run the game in the debugger most of the time). I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800XT with 256MB. All fairly middle of the road stuff nowadays.

Aight thx, thats great to hear! Now I feel much better all of a sudden.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Shagnak said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800XT with 256MB. All fairly middle of the road stuff nowadays.
How many CRPG-players have YOU talked to? :roll:

What possible relevance does that have to do with what I said? I answered crpgnut's question, and it is true that those system specs are FAR from top of the line nowadays.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I guess it's because you did not qualify the "all fairly middle of the road lately" statement. The implication is that you think that the average CRPG-er will have this sort of box.

It has relevance because a lot of your target audience (CRPG-ers) quite simply don't have that kind of hardware. Most people I know who mainly play FPS's dont have that sort of hardware. (I have no idea what it is like over in SmileyFaceDude land, but I suspect the average box is a bit better :wink: ). They spend money on other things, like life.
If I peruse the local rags, the average new PC isn't even those specs. Remove the grafix card, half a gig of ram, etc.
Perhaps by the time of release the average PC owned by the CRPG-playing community will sit around about these specs, who knows.

I do have that sort of hardware; so as one of the people on this site that actually enjoyed Morrowind (despite recognising some obvious flaws), I will definitely buying Oblivion - and I expect it to be good dammit! :lol:

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Hey, I thought CRPGers were hardcore gamers who spared no expense :D

No, I just meant in the general scheme of things, not specifically the CRPG market. Sorry I wasn't more precise.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmmm... I have a gaming rig on that level, but I just bought it a couple of months ago. Though I spared plenty in expense to get it. So, I think yours and mine are more an uppper level midrange PC. What is it with Americans and they desirr to be "middle p.class". I think if still used my Apple IIe I'd say it was mid-level.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Hey, I thought CRPGers were hardcore gamers who spared no expense :D
Naww...I suspect most of us are bloody cheapskates :lol:
Most of us that have flash gaming rigs do so cos we also play demanding FPS's. If it weren't for that, I would have saved a lot of money due to most of my favourite games being much less demanding CRPGs.

No, I just meant in the general scheme of things, not specifically the CRPG market. Sorry I wasn't more precise.
No worries. I suspect I was reading more into it than I should, anyways.
It is a legitimate concern however. The whole "appeal to gamers with demanding/flash games" versus "don't alienate gamers who don't meet the spec" dynamic.
But Morrowind was fairly demanding when it came out, I guess, and heard a rumour that that one didn't do to badly sale-wise :wink:

Visbhume

Prophet
Will my difference engine be able to run the game? Or will I have to upgrade to an analytical engine?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Heh, those stats are just like my own computer's. I'm glad to hear that you're not running some super powered rig or you'd have the problem of accurately gauging the game's performance on regular desktops.

Computers like ours cost less than 1,000 US dollars these days, and that includes the price of a monitor. I'm not sure what Shaqnak's fuss is all about.

Fez

Erudite
Shaqnak? The famous cannibal New Zealander basketball player?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom