Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Troika Closes Its Doors

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Venerial Disease? I got rid of it 2 days ago! No more Itching and burning sensations here baby!

In all seriousness, this is a sad day. Are any other sites posting the info?

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
You flip flopped... AGAIN?!?!! Do you even realize what you say?

P.S. RIP Troika.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
Venerial Disease? I got rid of it 2 days ago! No more Itching and burning sensations here baby!

In all seriousness, this is a sad day. Are any other sites posting the info?

I put it up at DAC, though I think it's important to stress that this still isn't official, or confirmed, something that Rex fails to do. Until we get an official statement, the email could have been faked and the Marsh quote could be taken as a joke, or a sarcastic dig at rex.

Spazmo

Erudite
Arcanum is one of the greatest CRPGs in recent years now? Haven't you been saying how awful it is for months, Rex?

And that email is crap, just a bad joke. Marshmonkey's comments are more distressing, obviously.

Human Shield

Augur
I really wanted to see what they could have done with their 4th game.... They shouldn't have expanded with an uncertain future and should have stuck with lower-budge niche titles.

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
Well crap...

But try not to give up hope. After all, those creative people from Troika are hopefully still going to be out there making games somewhere. It's not as though the company jet crashed and there were no survivors.

Besides, maybe they will hook up with other folks who can solve some of the problems that kept Troika from becoming a success businesswise.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It may have not been an uncertain future, cause my understanding is that Activision pulling it's funding was sudden and not planned, so they may have been recieving decent cash.

M0rphz0rz

Novice
Well, all we have is this phoney e-mail (source unknown) that might as well be fake and Marshmonkey's jibe at Exitium that doesn't really confirm anything, apart from the fact he's mightily pissed off by Exitium's recent diatribes against Troika. I suggest we all calm down and wait for some official announcement.

Briosafreak

Augur
Yeah, let´s wait.

Rex did well, it´s heartfelt and from someone that finally understood all the implications of this situation, it`s alright by me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Country_Gravy said:
By the way...Where the hell is VD?
Saving the universe or something. He thinks he's the last Jedi :shock: :lol:

I'm here, but there isn't much happening in the news department (as in not much stuff I care to post) and there are few (as in none) interesting discussions at the moment. I'm writing my review/impressions of KOTOR 2, which aren't very positive. Easy combat for morons who can't play games fucking killed it for me.

Fight with Darth Zombie:

My Guardian casts some buffs, attacks 3 times, the villain is almost dead
Kreia: You can't kill him!!! Run!!!
PC: Are you fucking blind?!! Oh, sorry, you are.
Kreia: Run now, while you still can!!!! <Running away cutscene starts>
Darth Zombie: Fuck! That was close.

Fight with Darth Mask:

My Guardian attacks twice and the ubar villain is almost dead.
Visas the Woman in Red: OMG! We can't kill him!!! What are we going to do?!!!
PC: What are you talking about, bitch? I almost killed him.
Visas: Oh, noes! What are we going to do!!! Shall I meditate?
PC: Yeah, whatever, just shut up and let me kill him already.

That sucks. I was reading the Oblivion article in PC Gamer (same old shit, nothing to report), and it sez that encounters will be scaled to your level. What the fuck happened to challenges in games? Oh fucking well....

Anyway, on the subject of Troika, it's a fucking shame that there are money and time for trash like [go to your local video store and take a look at the shelves], but not for a developer like Troika. I hope that this is not the end though. That comment at NMA could mean many things and shouldn't be taken as "teh proof".

Jed

Cipher
If this is true, then I am very sad.

@Exitium: You talked all that shit, so the least you could do is stand by it. Flip-flopping fucker.
[url=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25:dnz3q5ts]Exitium[/url] said:
Troika stopped making RPGs when they started making Bloodlines. It was no Arcanum. I didn't like Arcanum but I recognised it as an RPG. Bloodlines was only an RPG in the first hub, from then on it took the route of Deus Ex Invisible War, crappy combat and all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh well, at least Volourn and Exitium can search Troika's corpse for bug fixes and a story for ToEE now."

LOL Anyway, unlike Ex, I'm not flip flopping. Troika's downfall was their doing. Period.

I did like 2 out of their 3 games; but companies succeed and fail on their OWN merits. Give them the props for what they did right; and give them anti props for what they did wrong.

'Tis the breaks. Hopefully, they'll learn from this experience and whatever they do; there'll be better for it.

No mercy for the weak in the COMPETITIVE market of game design.

That's a rule; all devlopers live and die by.

taks

Liturgist
true, volourn, true. sad, however, that people have to lose their jobs. the good ones will find work quickly, as is usually the case.

taks

obediah

Erudite
I'm bummed about this. Not that they didn't deserve to go under for releasing buggy games, but they certainly deserved it much less than other developers that are still around.

Troika was always on the edge of hitting one out of the park. Unfortunately, I think their tone was set when Aracanum's release was pushed back months, and pirates bitched about how buggy the leak was. Sierra and/or Troika said it was a beta with old bugs, and then went on to release the same damn version without fixes prepared for the bugs they'd known about for months.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
even though it was obvious this was coming, i was hoping it wouldnt. even though im not a big fan of troikas games (bloodlines showed a lot of promise though, but was undone by bugs), but at the same time they were still a quality rpg developer and those seem to be fading fast.

im more saddened by the loss of another rpg developer than by troika itself. ah well, hopefully some of the talented people that worked for troika can land with either bioware, or possibly obsidian so obsidian can get to work on its third title.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
That sucks. I was reading the Oblivion article in PC Gamer (same old shit, nothing to report), and it sez that encounters will be scaled to your level. What the fuck happened to challenges in games? Oh fucking well....

This means that enemy encounters will get HARDER as you level up. It means that you won't be able to beat everyone down just because you've got a 75 blade skill and 100 strength. The idea being to keep the game challenging as you progress. From your comment, it seems you've misinterpreted the article to mean just the opposite.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Time to pop the champagne Exitium.

Oh well, if this is confirmation then I only have this to say:

Motherfucking Crap!!!

Not good news at all. Who's gonna take the risks now?

[Edit] Apologies for the large font size. Thats usually reserved for people who are compensating for samll e-penises, You know who you are :wink: [/Edit].

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Jed said:
@Exitium: You talked all that shit, so the least you could do is stand by it. Flip-flopping fucker.
[url=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25:zr2d9xan]Exitium[/url] said:
Troika stopped making RPGs when they started making Bloodlines. It was no Arcanum. I didn't like Arcanum but I recognised it as an RPG. Bloodlines was only an RPG in the first hub, from then on it took the route of Deus Ex Invisible War, crappy combat and all.

I still don't like Arcanum because I didn't like the combat and the character system, but most people here consider it to be one of the best RPGs in recent years, so I can't deny that, now can I? But I recognise Arcanum for its RPG values and the whole lot of role-playing choices the game allowed you to make. Isn't that what an RPG is? I said so in the quote above. In contrast I don't recognise Bloodlines as having any role-playing value beyond the first hub (and some of the other city areas) due to the amount twitch combat and linearity.

And yes, I talked all that shit, and I apologise because it pissed people off. I'm not gonna stand by my awful, and inexcusable behaviour. Not in retrospect. I shouldn't have been so offensive.

Don't make this about me, Jed. This is about Troika, not me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom