Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

CHEMS

Scholar
For example if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.

Which is retarded and breaks immersion.

I don't think this breaks immersion or is even unrealistic - most shops even today in rural areas do not have any anti-thief protection (let alone in a supposedly medieval fantasy landscape) beyond locks. In Morrowind there are guards patrolling the streets (though they just walk around randomly, in Oblivion which introduces much better pathing, guards do a better job giving the impression they patrol the cities). You can expect guards in large shops, but smaller shops (the majority you'd see in TES games) wouldn't have those.
It breaks immersion because with the amount of thieves that exist in the game world shopkeepers across the entire continent would go out of business within days. No, guards in the streets don't prevent this because they can't detect theft occurring in an adjacent cell.
Your problems are over my friend

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45904

Yosharian

Arcane
For example if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.

I don't think this breaks immersion or is even unrealistic - most shops even today in rural areas do not have any anti-thief protection (let alone in a supposedly medieval fantasy landscape) beyond locks. In Morrowind there are guards patrolling the streets (though they just walk around randomly, in Oblivion which introduces much better pathing, guards do a better job giving the impression they patrol the cities). You can expect guards in large shops, but smaller shops (the majority you'd see in TES games) wouldn't have those.
It breaks immersion because with the amount of thieves that exist in the game world shopkeepers across the entire continent would go out of business within days. No, guards in the streets don't prevent this because they can't detect theft occurring in an adjacent cell.

That is pretty cool.

CHEMS

Scholar

That is pretty cool.
Isn't it? Pretty customizable through the .ini file too

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

That is a technical/implementation limitation, not something that at least personally find it any more immersion breaking than having inventory actions, transaction or dialog done through popup windows. Even the spastically moving and rotating NPCs in Morrowind give me an impression of "this is a place with a bunch of peasants and guards walking around" and that is enough to immerse me in the game.

Consider that the worlds in these - and really pretty much all - games are largely meant to be representational: Vivec isn't a bunch of square boats stacked on top of each other with a dozen NPCs living in there but each canton is meant to have thousands of people living in it. Think of it like theater where all you need is a hat and a jacket to know that some actor is supposed to be a guard (or whatever) who doesn't "notice" the thief (in another thief-y getup) just a meter next to him stealing some artifact: it doesn't make sense in reality, but the scene isn't meant to be taken literally, only as a representation of the scene the story is supposedly describing.

At least that is how i see (most) games, as long as the game tells me something is supposed to represent something bigger i am fine with it, even if the on-screen visual doesn't match. Better graphics are just better costumes.

Fargus

Arcane

This guy is making fun mods

Amusing mod. Makes me wanna go full Sauron on that little Fargot bitch and his kind.

229abb8434eec40b19dd49b4d600cae9.gif

Saldrone

Novice
I like building nords with The Lord's birthsign. It's bonus abilty and elemental drawback is pretty fitting for them mechanically and thematically speaking imo

CHEMS

Scholar

this guy adding rocket launcher physics from quake 3 arena lol

Holy shit, that's impressive

Don't know if i like the ragdolling effects, but the projectile speed is nice. Dodging spells is just too easy in this game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You can increase projectile speed quite easy by changing a txt file

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom