Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Fallout New Vegas considered good?

NotSweeper

Educated
Did they just make every FUCKING THING we did in Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas completely pointless?!
No? The show makes it pretty clear that it's a self-contained storyline that doesn't have much connection to the storylines from the games.

The show still fucking sucks, but this complaint is pretty smooth-brained imo.
I haven't followed up on anything related to this shitshow since the first few days, is Shady Sands still nuked cause one dude got cucked by his wife or nah?

Mauman

Learned
No? The show makes it pretty clear that it's a self-contained storyline that doesn't have much connection to the storylines from the games.
Didn't the Toddster say it was "canon" and "basically Fallout 5" or some shit like that?
I have no fucking clue how someone can be so stupid to call it self-contained when it takes elements and setting from each of 1, 2, and vegas. And then proceeds to piss all over them it seems.

I mean fucking HOUSE is a character in the show (though recast, RIP Rene).

edit - anyways, this is old information I know. I didn't look into it at the time because I assumed it would be bad. I'm just in shock at how bad it actually is.

The show destroyed the NCR and New Vegas. The literal settings those games are in, and then shows it. How the fuck can you call THAT self-contained?
Because its a TV show? Obviously it needs to have the NCR and New Vegas, those are major points in the setting. But beyond that there's no mention of FEV or The Master, no mention of Caesar, Mr. House is only given a small cameo, etc. All the major characters and plot elements are purposefully ignored in favor of establishing its own thing. The NCR is barely mentioned and hand-waved away.

Show still sucks but for way different reasons.

Didn't the Toddster say it was "canon" and "basically Fallout 5" or some shit like that?
I have no fucking clue how someone can be so stupid to call it self-contained when it takes elements and setting from each of 1, 2, and vegas. And then proceeds to piss all over them it seems.

edit - anyways, this is old information I know. I didn't look into it at the time because I assumed it would be bad. I'm just in shock at how bad it actually is.
Why are you having a spaz meltdown about a show you haven't even watched lmao

House isn't a character in the show - he has like a 5 second cameo

Mauman

Learned

Why are you having a spaz meltdown about a show you haven't even watched lmao

House isn't a character in the show - he has like a 5 second cameo
Because it makes 1, 2, and Vegas seem pointless. To me at least.

And a cameo is still a character in a show.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
They've been saying that the show is canon since the beginning. In fact, I'm reasonably certain the point of the show is to reset the West Coast, trash everything that came before it, so they can do whatever they want there going forward.
Mr. House was a brilliantly written brilliant character in New Vegas. He single handedly set up a means of shielding Las Vegas from the brunt of the nuclear attack. Even in his state we see him in New Vegas, he's very much still working out things in order to do his idea of protecting Vegas. He's the kind of character you almost never really see in games. His motives are fairly grey. You don't know if he's in it because he just loves Vegas or if he wants Vegas to remain independent so it's under his control. Sure, he's pulling strings, including the strings of your character, but you really don't know his deep rooted motives behind everything.

They've been saying that the show is canon since the beginning. In fact, I'm reasonably certain the point of the show is to reset the West Coast, trash everything that came before it, so they can do whatever they want there going forward.
That still doesn't really mean anything because there's no substantial changes to the game lore that can't be immediately retconned.

Shady Sands was blown up, but it's established that the NCR still exists and will likely have a resurgence or whatever. There's no other major lore changes beyond that to my knowledge.

Again, it seems like people who never watched the show, freaking out about something that's a complete non-issue, especially when the atrocities that are Fallout 4 and 76 are canon.

Show still sucks, just for different reasons.

Mount & Blade always looked pretty good IMO. Very low budget but they knew how to design picturesque scenes in the towns and villages. The only really unacceptable stuff in M&B was a couple of the battle maps where terrain-gen-insanity led to hills with like 90 degree faces and stretched textures.
M&B defiantly looked better than Fire & Sword.
Wasn't F&S basically an ascended mod like the viking one?

heightfax

Barely Literate
Mount & Blade always looked pretty good IMO. Very low budget but they knew how to design picturesque scenes in the towns and villages. The only really unacceptable stuff in M&B was a couple of the battle maps where terrain-gen-insanity led to hills with like 90 degree faces and stretched textures.
M&B defiantly looked better than Fire & Sword.
Wasn't F&S basically an ascended mod like the viking one?
I think it was off M&B Napoleon but not totally sure...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That still doesn't really mean anything because there's no substantial changes to the game lore that can't be immediately retconned.
You mean like the ghouls that now require some magical medicine, that makes no sense that it exists, and would have to be spread all over the country because not every ghoul in the wasteland is feral?

How about the Master never finding Vaults 31 to 33 or Vault 4 in his backyard? He was in Los Angeles for 10 years and those vaults were all above ground.

What's the retcon that explains why Shady Sands is in Los Angeles when it's always been on the outskirts of Fresno?

How about the OSI in Camp McCarran still getting equipment shipments from Shady Sands in 2281 when it supposedly fell in 2277?

Oh, how about Alice McLafferty talking about the power grid from Hoover Dam to Shady Sands in 2281? Before you say communications, HAM Radios exist in Fallout, and Bethesda added them. You can also walk from Fresno(Shady Sands) to the Hoover Dam in 6 days - the long way.

How about Kimball getting re-elected when the capitol of the NCR supposedly fell during his first term? It's said in several places that his biggest negative is that he has failed to bring the Mojave in to the NCR.

Caesar doesn't know anything about Shady Sands falling when you talk to him in 2281 and he's got a laundry list of things he thinks are weak about the NCR. Again, 6 day walk from where he is and Shady Sands.

Kind of interesting that Vault-Tec supposedly nuked the United States when it's said in several games that China did it. I guess they just don't want to offend China these days. We'll also just ignore how retarded it is that the big plan to make money is to kill off the majority of your consumers, wreck everything remotely considered infrastructure and evaporate the economy. The Underpants Gnomes in South Park had a better grasp of obtaining profit than these people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom