Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima What is the best Ultima game?

What is the best Ultima game?

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Have you played the UO emulator?
Yeah I played Renaissance, Rel Por, Outlands and the "remake" in Unity https://shardsofbritannia.com/ but I don't think you can recreate the charm of the live game under the original team. Maybe one of the custom map servers designed for a smaller player count do a good job.
Is that offline play?

Older vid of evilution.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Played 4, 5, 6, 7, and both Underworlds about 7-8 years ago, and I was coming at them with no nostalgia, and they're all pretty great.

Underworlds are the best - but they aren't really Ultima games, so that's not really fair.

Of the mainlines I'd say 5 is the best - it's got the best stakes, exploration is still really good - and it has the best combat of all of them. They really shit the bed on combat after five.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ultima IV hands down, it has the best exploration, karma system and other non-combat mechanics, quest structure, plot, and if we ignore the Underworld games even the best dungeons in the series, while also being the most innovative and unique game, and it's possibly also the most influential western CRPG ever after the original Wizardry (Ultima Underworld is another good contender, though).

Combat and character builds are terrible though, so I can completely understand those who prefer Ultima V or VI, especially considering how much these games inherited from Ultima IV while making combat actually fun, but you must recognize how far ahead Ultima IV is in every other field. I won't understand those who vote for Ultima VII though, like we don't have enough streamlined bullshit in modern games already.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Furthest I ever got into any Ultima game was Ultima VI with the Commodore 64 port. Unfortunately, it was such a negative experience due to no fast floppy disk loader routines requiring 2-3 minutes just to go up or down a dungeon lvl, I never attempted to seriously play another Ultima game again until Exult where I grew bored after a couple of hours.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
For me it was Ultima VI. It hit me early as a kid and left me feeling like I took part in a genuine adventure in another world. I'll never forget the experience of finding the parts for constructing a hot-air balloon only to realize I couldn't steer it because I lacked the proper magic for controlling wind, and getting tossed around the world of Britannia haphazardly.

l'll also be the weirdo and mention that Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2 for the SNES is a great isometric action puzzle game. It plays more like classic computer puzzle games with named levels than anything else on the system, and has a ton of secrets, charming npc dialogue, and even an Origin studios developers room.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
l'll also be the weirdo and mention that Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2 for the SNES is a great isometric action puzzle game. It plays more like classic computer puzzle games with named levels than anything else on the system, and has a ton of secrets, charming npc dialogue, and even an Origin studios developers room.
The original Game Boy Runes of Virtue game was much better, it was a cool little time waster. Still, these console exclusive Ultima games emanated large amounts of condescension towards their players, evidently the Ultima team never thought too highly of console kiddies.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm still awaiting this ultima 1 remaster using the NES U3 engine. I imagine akalabeth would have been easier to remake with some 3d engine. There were a few i tried to get to work but they fizzle bac on modern OS (or maybe they were terrible to get working to begin with). No one is going to try and fix these old projects.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
I'm still awaiting this ultima 1 remaster using the NES U3 engine. I imagine akalabeth would have been easier to remake with some 3d engine. There were a few i tried to get to work but they fizzle bac on modern OS (or maybe they were terrible to get working to begin with). No one is going to try and fix these old projects.
Ultima 1 remaster with NES engine what now?

Do tell

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lemme find the link..

UltimaCodex

It says most if his updates are on twitter. I haven't been there in a bit.
The Fox Cunning Twitter
Fox Cunning Youtube

I forgot about NES ultimas and the face you had 4 facing directions and animations for each direction for PCs. A lot of sprite work.

F6OehPE.png

What I've ALWAYS hated about sprite sets/sheets is no defined dividers between each individual sprite. For my own enjoyment in EUO i changed the sets to show where each sprite would fit depending on 16x16 or 32x32
Here's an example of me fucking around with war banners and shit (stupid imgur fucked the quality)

v87yXht.gif

Last edited:

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
That's wild - it looks like he also did a rework/remaster of Ultima 3 on NES as well - has anyone ever played that vs. the original PC version? Is it consolefied, or more or less the same -

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh man. Huge difference. I haven't completed his u3 but it is pretty cool. There are some other early versions of his and i tried a anime waifu gfx fix as well.

I hope he finishes u1 then works on that bastard U2. That would be fucking wild.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom