Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the inventory UI conventions in adventure games?

vivivi

Barely Literate
Hello adventure gamers,
I am someone who doesn't know much about adventure games, but wants to know about their inventory UI conventions. What are some common ways the inventory is presented or interacted with, in adventure games with an inventory?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Hello adventure gamers,
I am someone who doesn't know much about adventure games, but wants to know about their inventory UI conventions. What are some common ways the inventory is presented or interacted with, in adventure games with an inventory?
there's usually a bar at the bottom or the side of the screen, hiding or not, 1-row or 2-row if there are verbs as well
rarely there's a separate 'pocket' menu for all sorts of inventory items resembling an actual pocket or a box of items, like in sam&max

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
King's Quest VI's inventory opens up onto the top of the screen and shows you a list of icons:
inventoryupstairs.png

Monkey Island 2 has a list of icons permanently on the bottom right of the screen, the arrows allow you to scroll through the list:
monkey-island-2-special-edition_2119391.jpg

The original version of Monkey Island 1 had a list of object names instead of icons:
image015_w1110.jpg

Generally, there are two main types of inventory interface in adventure games.
The first is the Sierra style, which King's Quest VI represents. A separate inventory screen that opens up when you click on it.
The second is the Lucas Arts style, which the Monkey Island games represent. The interface is permanently displayed at the bottom of the screen, with verbs on one side and inventory items on the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom