Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

Lagi

Savant
What RTS has good water combat?
i understand you are not convinced by previous post about warcraft 2.
I think navy in W2 is ok, i enjoy water focused campaing, hunting sub-turtles, extracting oil. I am not a fan of ground combat in W2, but i like the ships.

I could suggest BAR
613619921aac488582a674d8_BAR_screenshot_106.webp

its free total annihilation descendant, have much better controls, and slower gameplay. Graphic is very readable. I can recognise most units from afar. It also very good balanced, every units has some use. And after few games, i focus on resurect bots for example, and it was kind of valid tactics.

It is advertised as hardcore, thousands unit, sperg macro game - but i find it much slow down pace compare to Supreme Commander or TA Escalation. F.ex. early game the production of tanks is slow enough to enjoy micro controling them. Adjust AI skill to your liking, add ally bots to have less resource to manage - you dont have to play on competitive level. I only play single player games.

Looks like dog shit 3d mmo

I dont deny that Total Annihilation Esclation is by the big margin the most charming, and soul-full game of this kind. I just love the esthetics of this game. Lack of zooming. Great maps. And the sound and music is godlike (theme in the main menu).
SHOT0485.png

butt-emoji-2048x1985-wlvvsddm.png
:
- last time it was a good 10 years ago (yes Escalation is so ancient) I have spend ton of time to install custom maps

- default Ai is garbage - super stupid (to the point it stand idle sometimes doing nothing) and cheating on instant unit build on hard difficulty - so I spend days installing custom AI's - different for different matchup (like water AI f.ex.)

- UI is exhausting - really being able to build mex in radious with mouse drag is a relief.

- if you ever play TA ESC on multi you will learn the forbidden knowledge of making endless conga lines to the rally point. You will spend all times optimising and building your economy, instead of controlling this great units.

Shut up dude! Why they have good water play?
Ships,
submarines
hovercrafts
seaplanes
repair and ressurect ships
amphibious units (swimming or traveling on the bottom)
water defense turrets
radar / sonars

... sea planes that drop torpedos to hit the enemy submarines

... in Esclation there was: submarine that was airship carrier. OR carrier that fix you planes.

you can build whole base and economy on water

EDIT:
i installed escalation yesterday - this mod improved significantly from the last time i play it.

there is very handy Q shortcut to build mex

there is binary map zoom out in function with mouse scroll - thats brilliant invention you have nice look of battle, can quickly change view port and can see all map if need to.

they keep the same industrial ambient main menu music track.

i would like to say that the AI improved because i played on 7 islands map, and Ai build base and attack me with ships and hovers, but maybe im tripping here, because i was checking units for hour - could be that cheating AI just build tons of whatever and by accident some of his scouting party find me.

I doubt im gona investigate it any further, as I prefere to chill with Age of Wonders 1.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
RA1 gets a huge thumbs down for baiting you with leveling commie installations with battleship barrages in the cinematics and the first mission and then you never really do it through the entire campaign.

And TA is the obvious answer, although slow af subs piss me off.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom