Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Turbo Overkill - Apogee's new cyberpunk boomer shooter where you have chainsaw legs

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
was impressed by the little I played of episode 1 when it was in early access so much that I decided to just wait until the whole game was finished as to not spoil myself... I liked how the cyberpunk stuff isn't just a world aesthetic but part of the gameplay with how modifiable your weapons are and the different augments for your body you can get. I also liked how collectibles actually unlocked things and aren't just there for the sake of it like in other FPS games

gonna be a fun weekend once this releases

VonMiskov

Educated
How strange that this title has so little interest here. For me it's the FPS GOTY of 2023. Great combat flow, the movement - just perfect. Far better game than Prodeus and it has custom maps too.

Freedos

Novice
Yeah, it's great and after patch not as easy like before (I noticed that during my game).

I'm not 100% fond about the boss battles (like a lot of FPS), specially the second to last one (it drags a bit). But besides that...it's a ton of fun, including the vehicle parts, and knows how keeping fresh along the game. Takes things of the classics and Doom Eternal, but being its own thing at the same time.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Last time i tried the demo it stuttered a lot on my laptop even if i put all settings on minimal. Enough to be unplayable.
Shame 'cause this game looks fun.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
I'm liking this more with each new level. I think it kinda puts its worst foot forward and I was pretty bored in the first opening levels. By level 3 though I'm happy with the enemy variety and the arsenal. The thumping soundtrack is the cherry on top.

Ivan

Arcane
Rolled Credits. I give it a 3/4 or :4/5:

Turbo Overkill is probably the most ambitious oldschool/boomer shooter I've played, certainly my favorite since Dusk. Turbo nails that frenetic pace of combat I love from the most recent of these FPS titles like DOOM: Eternal or the aforementioned Dusk. Turbo is more conventional in that it's generous with its ammo and it doesn't subtract from your arsenal as the campaign goes on. This had the effect of the game starting to feel repetitious the longer it went as I had solidified my preferred tactics and the game didn't really encourage me/ask me to deviate from them. That said, the campaign stays fresh with new locales, set pieces, and a few new mechanics introduced with each of the game's episodes. The movement controls like butter and the shooting feels great. The only thing I think that's lacking comes with the audio. I wish the enemies had more barks to give them personality. Aside from that, this feels like a AAA game: the campaign is surprisingly long, each level feels like it has its own song, there are secret collectibles to seek out to gain access to secret levels, and that's not even to mention the mod support.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I'm supposed to believe one man made this when entire triple-A studios couldn't find fun with an orbital telescope?
Anyway, are there any other indie games of this quality, regardless of genre?

JoacoN

Literate
I'm supposed to believe one man made this when entire triple-A studios couldn't find fun with an orbital telescope?
Anyway, are there any other indie games of this quality, regardless of genre?
Pizza Tower released last year and it was extremely fun and polished, felt just like a cartoon turned into a videogame and cranked to the max, i can't say if it is as good as Turbo Overkill cause I only played the demo, but Pizza Tower kept me coming back many times to do replays or just trying to get the P ranks, if you like the sort of highly replayable and fast to finish platformers then it's 100% a must play.
As for other stuff, Deep Rock Galactic is a dwarf coop mining game with a really nice style and lots of different missions to do, it's also full of dozens of little details and small stuff to do between missions, + it even has elf racism.
On the smaller side, SCP NTF is a nice total overhaul mod / game for SCP Containment Breach, made by Third Subdivision Studios who previously worked on the post 1.0 updates for CB, it's not polished, it's janky as fuck and ugly, but the waves mode is solid and the campaign ain't half bad even if unfinished, there's also SCP CB MP which i got 20 hours or so from just trying to beat the game over and over again as fast as possible with my friend (you might notice by now i like replaying shorter games and quickly :v)
Dimensional Slaughter wave based FPS, kinda a mixed bag, but when it clicks it's really fun, still in EA which explains a lot of why it's still unrefined, but even in EA i got a good couple hours out of it.
You can also check many Half-Life 1 and 2 mods released these last few years! Entropy Zero 1, 2 and Uprising, Evacuation, Swelter, MMOD, Raising The Bar Redux Division 2 (they also did a Gregori mod which is sweet), C.A.G.E.D., Echoes, etc... etc... just go check moddb and download every cool mod you see, even the more mediocre mods have a couple good exploration or combat sections just from how solid the goldsource / source engine systems are
uhhh more fangames / mods, Sonic and The Fallen Star feels like sonic on the saturn, Time Twisted is basically Sonic CD 2, Triple Trouble, Project 06; non sonic stuff you can find Voxel Doom 1 and 2, dozens of map mods for Black Mesa, thousands upon thousands of Pokemon and Mario ROMS that feel like official sequels.

And if all else fails, you can always browse itch.io by top sellers price free, there's always usually 1 or 2 curious things to try out and some really high quality ones (Mindustry and Shattered Pixel Dungeon are my recommendations if you want something of actual quality to play in mobile or to just fuck around on PC)

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Finally finished the game after pausing for a couple of weeks. I burned myself out with the highest difficulty and stopped for a while, after needing some 30-40 attempts to finish the third boss Ripper. Turning down the difficulty from Murder Machine to Serve me Pain for the rest of the game was the right decision, although I would have liked a difficulty somewhere in between. Overall great game with a lot of content. Excellent level design and great combat encounters. Got my adrenalin pumping almost like UT and Q3 back in the days with the frenetic gameplay. Probably the best 25€ bucks that I spent in a while.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom