Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tekken 8

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

New stages are always welcome and Lidia is an alright character.
But apparently this verifies the leak, that means the next characters are Fahkumram and Marduk. Which are probably among the worst in the franchise.
Year 1 is gonna be absolute shit if that's the case.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
What a horrible season trailer to begin with, especially compared to the Gouki reveal of SF6.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But apparently this verifies the leak, that means the next characters are Fahkumram and Marduk. Which are probably among the worst in the franchise.
Year 1 is gonna be absolute shit if that's the case.
I had hope the leaks were wrong, because there was no way they could come back with a such a weak season, but it seems they can.
Its a shame because they could use a little hype, and none of these characters had a very big following, specially after being nerfed back in T7.

Lets hope they fix the game until next year, and that season 2 is worthwhile.

Edit: oh my god, Lidia really looks like Nina. That's really low effort since she had a very specific features back in T7.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Wasn't just a T8 "problem", tbh. Females looking less unique, and more samey was already a thing in Tekken 7. Just compare T6/TTT2 face models from Anna or Lili with their counterparts in T7. It's an absolute travesty. Question is, is it due to Unreal Engine, or completely incompetency?

911 Jumper

Educated
The exaggerated designs look ridiculous. They all look so bulky compared to the slender designs in T1 to T4.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Fuckinramen isn't a bad character by himself, Tekken needs a Muay Thai rep. He just needs a complete redesign to not look like the worst thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Hell, it would please me to no end if they just replaced his ugly ass with a whole new character with roughly the same fighting style, à la Heihachi=>=>Reina.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember when Tekken was about martial artists beating the shit out of eachother, maybe with a few stupid characters like Kuma, King, and Gon. But now Jin is a demon or something? Wtf? :lol:

Why do fighting games all jump the shark after awhile?

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Devil Jin has been a playable character since Tekken 5, and his whole subplot was introduced even earlier. You sure waited a long time to complain. Though I do admit some character's Rage Arts are incredibly, well.... inspired, to say the least, Alisa's and Kuma's particularly.

One look at Victor's moveset was enough to induce eye-rolling cringe in me, so I understand your general sentiment that the series has lost some of its gritty and grounded mood.

Rage Arts, Heat Engagers and Heat Dashes are easily the most anime things added to the series thusfar. But nobody seems to be complaining.

Sunri

Liturgist
I remember when Tekken was about martial artists beating the shit out of eachother, maybe with a few stupid characters like Kuma, King, and Gon. But now Jin is a demon or something? Wtf? :lol:

Why do fighting games all jump the shark after awhile?
Devil Jin (also called "Debiru Jin") is a major antagonist in the Tekken franchise. The form Jin Kazama takes while under the Devil Gene's control, he was first introduced in Tekken 3 and kazuya was deviled even earlier

mediocrepoet

Patron
Nah, I was just never a huge Tekken fan. I'd play it casually in the arcades or with friends who were more into it.

I didn't realize the demon characters were around for so long either though. I liked the fighting and animations of the games, but shitty hitboxes for characters like Gon and the gimmick characters in general turned me off.

I just started looking at the series again because the animations and such for T8 look pretty slick. How does it play?

mediocrepoet

Patron
Would you guys say it's still worth getting? Of all the recent fighters I was thinking this one had the most potential but battle passes and mtx in a full priced game just smells like ass to me. In truth, I'm more of a Soulcalibur and DeadorAlive kinda guy but both those titles are dead. So I'm on the fence.
Or join me in waiting for Virtua Fighter 6.

Didn't realize they finally announced a VF follow up. :bounce:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Fuckinramen isn't a bad character by himself, Tekken needs a Muay Thai rep. He just needs a complete redesign to not look like the worst thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Hell, it would please me to no end if they just replaced his ugly ass with a whole new character with roughly the same fighting style, à la Heihachi=>=>Reina.
What a novel concept. Maybe they could even give him a manly name like Bruce

ind33d

Learned
T8 shipped an update that broke wall combos. there's just no way. are the patches being outsourced or the game being internally sabotaged?

Arthandas

Prophet
I remember when Tekken was about martial artists
Yeah, totally :)

sddefault.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember when Tekken was about martial artists
Yeah, totally :)

sddefault.jpg
As I said, I played this shit casually and in arcades (and I'm not sure if I've touched the series since T3 now that I think about it).

I've never seen these characters before. Are they unlockables?

DevilKazuya is literally the boss of Tekken 2. Not sure in Aracde but he definitely is in PS1

Angel is just pallete swap when you goes to arcade mode as Kazuya

Reinhardt

Arcane
they were in the game but i literally never seen anyone playing them. everyone was picking king, hwoarang, law, eddie. weirdest of picked fighters was probably yoshimitsu.

Just Locus

Educated
I just started looking at the series again because the animations and such for T8 look pretty slick. How does it play?
It plays about as well as the previous Tekken games but the animations are more slick and nicely animated, as they re-mo-capped almost all the move-sets including the DLC characters like Eddy, so everything looks a hell of a lot better than the previous games. The sound design was improved and everything just looks and feels more clean and smoother.

There are a couple of new moves however I still dislike Victor and think he should be nerfed beyond repair :lol:

He is just full of unoriginality and It's clear the reason he was so easy to pick up is because Namco REALLY wanted players to like him, I think he's a cool character but he's just aesthetically and mechanically unoriginal in almost every way — He shares Nina's Pistol moves, Raven's teleportation and ninjutsu moves (this one is more reasonable) and Noctis' sword from TK7. All of which do massive amounts of damage and require little to no skill to execution, Yoshimitsu was given extra troll moves, and Reina is a good Mishima and requires a hefty amount of skill to do well with (I disagree with a lot of people saying she's Heihachi's replacement, as a Hei Main, she only shares about, 15% of his moveset? somewhere in that ballpark). Azucena is in the same ballpark as Victor, just minus the personality, as she's incredibly obnoxious and I wish she gets replaced by a better character in the next Tekken. Everything else is more or less the same with about, 10+ new moves more or less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom