Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Taim

Educated
Honestly, I thought True Stalker is terrible, and removes all the dynamic things that made Stalker interesting. It's a mostly linear experience that relies too much on cutscenes and has limited AI. While playing it, I thought "this is what Stalker 2 will be like, just with better graphics" which is not a good feeling to have while playing a Stalker game.

Its very true to SoC that had very limited non-roaming AI tied to certain zones, the ai couldn't roam between ai-life zones or maps like we see with anomaly derivatives. People who hail SoC as holy grail forgets about stuff like this, mostly because of nostalgia. No one also remembers the arcade shooting mechanics.

SoC still allowed for dynamic stuff to play out in the admittedly limited way it presented it.

In True Stalker there's a quest where you go to hunt a bunch of flesh and you quickly realize the entire QUEST is scripted - you literally are wasting bullets by firing them - all of the flesh are programmed to die with our without your input.

Other quests literally spawn you into the line of fire of 4 bandits at once.

I have never played such a polished mod that enforces absolutely 0% player agency at any given point. What a disappointment.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
If anyone wants to play SoC i recommend autumn aurora, or radiophobia for more modern[and buggy] rendition. Vanilla SoC aged poorly.
vanilla soc is perfectly fine. if you care about it being a more polished experience, then all you need is the Zone Reclamation Project

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
In True Stalker there's a quest where you go to hunt a bunch of flesh and you quickly realize the entire QUEST is scripted - you literally are wasting bullets by firing them - all of the flesh are programmed to die with our without your input.

I knew this mod was gay just from looking at it, but I didnt know it was that bad. That's actually appalling

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oblivion Lost aka Shadow of Chernobyl (? The first STALKER) is the only real STALKER you can experience, everything else is a cheap imitation, mods or games.

Ryzer

Arcane
Oblivion Lost aka Shadow of Chernobyl (? The first STALKER) is the only real STALKER you can experience, everything else is a cheap imitation, mods or games.
Bullshit, Clear Sky and Call of prypriat are good experiences too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom