Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sons of the Forest (sequel to The Forest)

Mortmal

Arcane
I loved Forest 1, its the best survival game I ever played so I will definitely be getting this in 8-10 months or so
Better than Conan Exiles?
Because that's by far the best I tried first-hand so far.

(Not because it's flawless, but because the others were a lot worse in many ways).
Completely different kind game, there's very little to build and its pointless to do so, its more like an adventure game like the old robinson requiem, and its follow up . It just add better atmosphere and horror. Was good but a bit barebones and very short 15 hours to complete everything, hardly any survival aspect , you have more more rations than you can eat, and my bag was full of food by the end. Cluncky and not achieving greatness but they are doing something entertaining unlike most AAA production. So as gaming is dead it still deserves success.

Mods will fix it.
Most certainly, but that's kinda a let down almost similar to bannerlord.

BruceVC

Magister
A hot 4-legged girl in a bathing suit keeps sneaking up to my camp. She runs away when I approach, but then she keeps sneaking back, and makes sexy poses. I don't trust this...
Screenshots?

Here she is. Actually 3 arms and 3 legs (1 just isn't visible here). And perky nipples.

Screenshot-2023-02-26-152042.jpg
Okay, not bad in a mutant kind of way. And I can see the advantages with a handjob ;)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I appreciate that there were a couple things that The Forest did well, but there is absolutely no denying it was a cash grab and the second it blew up in popularity the guys left the office and never came back. I suppose this is The Forest 2: The Search for More Money.

I almost agree with you about the cashgrab, and maybe I would if I knew more about the dev of the game, but the first game seemed like a genuine enough attempt at building a good game, rather than just an asset flip thrown together and then put on Steam.

Although on some level, all survival crafters are probably a cash grab at their most basic level.

Plus, this is The Forest 2: We're Fucking Rich Now. You seeing these numbers?

1677430538473.png

Okay, not bad in a mutant kind of way. And I can see the advantages with a handjob ;)

Can you make a harem of such mutant women? Asking for a... me.

Come on modders/loverslab, do your thing.

From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much there. The forest looks better, base building has a better system, but that seems to be about it. Don't really care for how they give you access to companions in singleplayer a large part of what made the atmosphere spooky in the first game was being completely isolated in cannibal land with nobody to back you up.

Guess there will be a playable game 4 years from now if they don't do the typical EA take the money and run which I don't think they will.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
It became winter, there was a snow storm, and the whole island got covered in snow. Wildlife/food was very scarce, and I didn't have warm clothing. Got constant hypotheria/debuffs.

Looked it up. There's a seasonal system, and winters are quite long. Had to restart.

New plan: Build base early, make drying racks, store dried meat for the winter, and aggressively try to obtain warmer clothing.

BruceVC

Magister
It became winter, there was a snow storm, and the whole island got covered in snow. Wildlife/food was very scarce, and I didn't have warm clothing. Got constant hypotheria/debuffs.

Looked it up. There's a seasonal system, and winters are quite long. Had to restart.

New plan: Build base early, make drying racks, store dried meat for the winter, and aggressively try to obtain warmer clothing.
Sounds great, I like the new survival mechanics around seasons

Lokiamis

Learned
Ok, I explored 10-12 caves with my friends. Every single one was either a solitary room with useless shit nobody needed, a Skyrim dungeon exit we weren't supposed to find, or had locked doors 10 feet in we don't have the key for. Absolutely no spelunking after several hours of playing and sprinting from cave to cave. I'm going to assume there's no content in this game.
I did like the deforestation and building at least.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ok, I explored 10-12 caves with my friends. Every single one was either a solitary room with useless shit nobody needed, a Skyrim dungeon exit we weren't supposed to find, or had locked doors 10 feet in we don't have the key for. Absolutely no spelunking after several hours of playing and sprinting from cave to cave. I'm going to assume there's no content in this game.
I did like the deforestation and building at least.
you need to find the shovel to unlock everything, and to access that shovel in the cave middle of the map you need the zipline gun in the south cave if i remember well.But even after that there's very little content.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Am I only person who is disappointed by this game?
Most of the tension goes away once you get used to the cannibals, and realize you can easily outrun anything.

The three main cave systems (up until you gain the shovel) were most intense. After that you become overgeared and snowball.

There's also no point to making a base, unless you enjoy base building in itself. Resources are so abundant. The fact that all loot respawns makes winters trivial, no need for prep.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I played The Forest solo and loved it. The pacing of learning the world around you was really well done.

I didn't find the caves in the orginal very scary. I actually found the times when I was trapped far away from my base at night to be the scariest. Cannibals were running around with torches looking for you, and if they found you vulnerable you were in real trouble.

BruceVC

Magister
Im about 10 hours into this game and Im absolutely loving it

The game starts with ZERO hand holding and Im just exploring and using my GPS. I dont know what Im supposed to do except for find the " family " which is great

I havent really explored caves yet but thats clearly where the main quest needs to be but I did go to one cave and it was terrifying experience with strange mutants but lots of resources to find

I appreciate the complete randomness of the design and the rewards for exploring , I went down to the beach and swam to a raft and I found a gun !!!!

But I assume bullets will be a scarcity so Im using my bow in combat and I will only use the gun in critical battles

Forest 1 was my favourite survival game of all time and this sequel could deliver the same experience

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The game starts with ZERO hand holding and Im just exploring and using my GPS. I dont know what Im supposed to do except for find the " family " which is great

I havent really explored caves yet but thats clearly where the main quest needs to be but I did go to one cave and it was terrifying experience with strange mutants but lots of resources to find

I appreciate the complete randomness of the design and the rewards for exploring , I went down to the beach and swam to a raft and I found a gun !!!!

But I assume bullets will be a scarcity so Im using my bow in combat and I will only use the gun in critical battles

Forest 1 was my favourite survival game of all time and this sequel could deliver the same experience
every time i read this guys opinions, on anything - it is some really uncanny valley bullshit

like, is he just such a turbo normie, or a ridiculously incompetent shill, highly functioning psychopath, or a sanitized chat bot - but much like with mark zuck, you get the feeling something is not quite right there

BruceVC

Magister

every time i read this guys opinions, on anything - it is some really uncanny valley bullshit

like, is he just such a turbo normie, or a ridiculously incompetent shill, highly functioning psychopath, or a sanitized chat bot - but much like with mark zuck, you get the feeling something is not quite right there
As long as you continue to support my posts thats all that matters, keep it up. Its the right thing to do :salute:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed this game after about 55 hours, it was an excellent survival game with somethings better than Forest 1 and some things worse

What was worse than 1 is I found myself not having to build a single house or structure to survive, I just used the tent

And then I love and appreciate no hand holding and having to explore to progress the narrative but did anyone on this thread complete the game without some general tips and game guides about what caves you suppose to explore first to find critical items like the spade? I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can finish it without dozens of hours of exploring just to work out what to do next?

Its too "hard" around trying to work out where you suppose to go next

Once you find laptops then its obvious where you must go but finding items like the pick axe and then the ancient armour werent clear to me and I randomly found them. Maybe I missed some papers or documents?

But good game overall and it gets a 70/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

ArchAngel

Arcane
I completed this game after about 55 hours, it was an excellent survival game with somethings better than Forest 1 and some things worse

What was worse than 1 is I found myself not having to build a single house or structure to survive, I just used the tent

And then I love and appreciate no hand holding and having to explore to progress the narrative but did anyone on this thread complete the game without some general tips and game guides about what caves you suppose to explore first to find critical items like the spade? I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can finish it without dozens of hours of exploring just to work out what to do next?

Once you find laptops then its obvious where you must go but finding items like the pick axe and then the ancient armour werent clear to me and I randomly found them. Maybe I missed some papers or documents?

But good game overall and it gets a 70/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "
Probably good that they didn't force base building so survival fags can just ignore that part of the gameplay and crafting fags can go all out.

BruceVC

Magister

Probably good that they didn't force base building so survival fags can just ignore that part of the gameplay and crafting fags can go all out.
Yes, thats true. But I remember in Forest 1 you had to set traps and build treehouses to be able to sleep most of the time

But you make a good point, the new mechanics creates more choice around gameplay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom