Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some thoughts on the original campaign of Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age: Origins

PanickedTushkano

Educated
I recently played through the original campaign of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition and was struck by some of the similarities as well as some pretty obvious differences to Dragon Age: Origins.

Anyway, one area where similarities were the most obvious, were definitely environments and aesthetics. Granted, NWN had to make early 3D work, but I'm not convinced that's the only reason why things ended up looking like they did. Dragon Age: Origins wasn't much good in that respect either, but most of the environments and assets for them looked specific and like somebody bothered to make something of decent quality. NWN on the other hand is extremely bland outside of some nice, atmospheric lighting and aside from some minor exceptions, environments of the various types were more samey than I have ever seen in any other RPG. One forest is very much like any other and the same is true for Luskan looking like just another district of Neverwinter. Important locations are just as bland as everything else and the last hub did seem a little surreal to me. Like it was just a lazy remix of Port Llast with the buildings being positioned a little differently and some different NPCs. For a while I wasn't even sure if it was just supposed to be Port Llast again. On top of that most environmental assets are at best inoffensive, but some like the tiny catapults are just straight-up awful. Yet another complaint would be that portraits are a mess of varying style and quality. Even if some of them are admittedly decent enough.

The writing in DA:O is probably better overall, but I can't say that I did find the tone particularly sympathetic or charming. Standard fantasy tropes with a grimdark tint and the most uninspired main villain imaginable. I honestly found all of the dragons in NWN to be more interesting and it's not like any of them were major characters. Come to think of it though, NWN didn't really have any major villains. Most of the screen time was taken up by a variety of minor characters and a few more important ones like Aribeth and the most useless spymaster of the Forgotten Realms. DA:O's companions are obviously better than the henchman of NWN, but that's not really a competition in the first place, seeing as how minimalist those systems are in the latter. But where Dragon Age really seemed lacking wasn't so much the more important characters or the presentation, it was the lack of minor characters and other meaningful content to populate the various extensive environments with. That at least is one thing were NWN seemed a little better, especially in the city itself. Less so in the dungeons and out in the wilds.
Still, in spite of how stereotypical and cheesy the characters could often be, they at least also often had some charm to them. DA:O didn't have the writing quality and story strength to make up for the overly serious tone. It's not that it's badly written, it's just not good enough to make up for not being interesting, funny, endearing or anything else that might make it memorable.
To be fair though, DA:O is much better when it comes to most major characters. Aribeth especially is all the worse for being so important. It feels like they may have been going for some kind of idealized but tragic figure out of something like the Nibelungen. But instead she ends up as just a Mary Sue with surprisingly annoying voice acting. It reminds me of the constantly overemphasized style the narrator in Pillars 2 uses. The ridiculous boob armor doesn't make it any better.

There is probably not much of a point in talking about combat as DA:O is a proper party combat RPG and NWN isn't. I don't remember any of the equipment from DA:O and even though I only played through it some months ago, I barely remember any of the gear from NWN either. Only that it provided tons of AC to a point where my choice of Pale Master (and his AC bonuses) did barely matter anymore.
I suppose the UI of DA:O was better, but I didn't dislike the one in NWN too much and Dragon Age's tooltips were less than adequate. A barebones description of what something does, but without any numbers that would be necessary to be able to compare anything meaningfully. Aside from that NWN's radial menu - for whatever reason - was much more cumbersome than the ones in Blackguards or Temple. It seemed quite overloaded and the hotbars had the same issue.
The most memorable things about NWN's combat were Evard's Black Tentacles and RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!! RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!! RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!! RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!! RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!! RAGE OF THE RED TIGER UNLEASHED!!!

The structure - as some have pointed out in regards to Bioware RPGs more generally - is similar, though I'd say that it's handled more elegantly in DA:O. What is still the same is that both games basically have no plot substance outside of the plot points that occasionally appear in isolation. The presentation and writing are better in Dragon Age during those moments, but the player is still mostly not involved in the main plot as they are busy collecting the army in locations that are mostly divorced from the plot. Redcliffe is the main exception as far as I can remember. NWN just repeatedly sends the player on McGuffin hunts to eventually get to the greatest McGuffins of them all and the less said about that the better. Some of the related locations and questlines (Charwood) were better than others, but the structure is still unimaginative, cheap and lazy.

C&C and reactivity: Let's see, that might actually one area where I don't want to complain to much. DA:O doesn't have that much reactivity and I don't think attributes actually mattered, but at least there was some C&C that had some limited impact. With Neverwinter Nights I have to admit, that I was positively surprised. Considering how Baldur's Gate did barely have any reactivity outside of party and alignment, I didn't expect that NWN would have dialogue specific for Charisma and low Intelligence and so on. The game only seems to use Persuasion in dialogue as far as skills are concerned and mostly only for asking for bigger rewards and the dumb dialogue seems to be a completely one-sided affair, but even so it's still nice that it's there.

I only remember the main menu music from DA:O and I don't think that the game did often develop much of an atmosphere, but at least it isn't completely without merits in the visual department. NWN had light sources that did improve the mood occasionally, but if there is one positive thing to say about NWN then it is the fairly decent soundtrack that doesn't compare unfavorably with the music from NWN2 and it's probably better than the fitting but unremarkable music from the Drakensangs. Not a masterpiece in my book, but it is something.

I'm probably forgetting something important, but that's all brain has to offer for now.

Law

Literate
Bethestard
yqQplXT.png

PanickedTushkano

Educated
I think objectively speaking I'd agree with that. In practice I finished NWN, but broke off DA:O during the last section. The more modern presentation just didn't matter to me.

Gargaune

Arcane
Granted, NWN had to make early 3D work, but I'm not convinced that's the only reason why things ended up looking like they did.
It wasn't. NWN's OC was a more of a demo campaign for the Toolset and co-op components, it was rushed and perfunctory across all aspects - level design, writing, visual direction - and things did improve with the subsequent expansions. The visuals, both in terms of maps and assets, also did a little bit since it was obvious BioWare had understimated the lowest common denominator for hardware across NWN's five (long) years of development, but gains were limited both due to the need for cohesion with the original resources and due to requirements for modularity and user accesibility.

Generally speaking, forget about the OC and look to subsequent expansions/PMs (let alone community modules) to see what NWN's really capable of. From SoU and HotU to TotM on the EE, everything from art direction to game design improved in leaps and bounds.

And I'll keep saying this until all Codexers' eyes bleed - NWN wasn't designed to be a D&D-based videogame, it was designed to be D&D on your computer. That had a lot of implications across many levels, from visuals to gameplay, but most were worth it and it remains a unique experience in the medium to this day. DA:O, by comparison, was a fairly middling cRPG elevated by some competent writing and quest design choices.

Cast off your old beliefs and be saved.

Law

Literate
Bethestard
until it doesn't
they didn't fail with any of those gayms on the graph, they failed later on by not following their own formula
I haven't played any game past DA:O long enough but in my opinion this is not why they've failed. I played a bit of DA2 and it seemed to follow the same formula as far as I could tell but it was just a boring POS so I dropped it after a couple hours.

BioWare's formula was overused long before DA:O

9ted6

Educated
Trying too hard to be funny and endearing is what got us the Dragon Age sequels, which are worse in every metric than Origins. The grimly serious tone there is way better than the happy marvel tumblr la la land Inquisition was. I think where DAO falls short is mainly the combat and encounter designs which get extremely tedious.

Beans00

Erudite
Trying too hard to be funny and endearing is what got us the Dragon Age sequels, which are worse in every metric than Origins. The grimly serious tone there is way better than the happy marvel tumblr la la land Inquisition was. I think where DAO falls short is mainly the combat and encounter designs which get extremely tedious.

I didn't find the tone in dragon age origins to be grim or serious at all. We must have been playing completely different games.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I forgot that Alastair was supposed to be a templar. Was he also a gay warden, or just the MC? His personality does not fit any background that might exist in that world, except maybe a gay gigolo. Also, he's clearly named after Crowley, much like the headquarters of the gay wardens (Weisshaupt) are named after the head of the Illuminati.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think where DAO falls short is mainly the combat and encounter designs which get extremely tedious.
Encounter design in DAO left me drained at the end of the game. I got trash mob PTSD from this. So many copypasted encounters and none of them matter since you regenerate HP and mana after combat anyway. Just a pure waste of time.

When I tried a pirated version of DA2 and entered my first wave-based fight I quit, uninstalled, and never looked back.

I didn't find the tone in dragon age origins to be grim or serious at all. We must have been playing completely different games.
All of Bioware's games have a quirky moment, some sort of early Whedonism thrown into them. Every single one of them. DAO just happens to have the least ammount of them. I'm pretty sure that Bioware, much like Bethesda, were already big fans of the Song of Ice and Fire books, but that sort of fantasy was about to become big. DAO is one of Bioware's most serious games, and that's including Mass Effect.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
All of Bioware's games have a quirky moment, some sort of early Whedonism thrown into them. Every single one of them. DAO just happens to have the least ammount of them.
And still most of the companions are clowns and cartoon characters.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Here is my take:

NWN - failed at what it was attempting but steered CRPGs in a positive way. Yes, the story of NWN1 stunk and was a buggy mess, but it pushed RPGs in a positive way. You only had to play one of the multiple shards of online NWN1 games - with so much versatility. The main story wasn't great, but Bioware had their eyes on a central DM who could set up modules for multiple gamers. That way it succeeded.

DA:O - succeeded at what it attempted but pushed CRPGs in a very, very bad way. That is, the feminitization of CRPGs - and the RPG through cutscene approach adopted by infinite contemporaries. Shitty relationship points, crappy armor upgrades, and (dare I say) sodomizing dwarves!!!

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
Interesting take about the characters - the main thing impeding my enjoyment of DA:O was how grating and abrasive the party members were. They're not necessarily poorly written, they just make no sense in this storyline.

Pretty much all the characters in some form or another are at odds with the player or apathetic towards their goal. Morrigan initially wants nothing to do with you and berates you constantly, the gay elf guy tries to assassinate you, stenn outright dislikes you and only accompanies you out of a sense of honor, etc. This can work in a small scale story, but the main quest in DA:O is saving the world from a demon army lead by a dragon.

Imagine if in LOTR, instead of the Fellowship being a close knit group of dependable good natured people, it was a mash up of different misanthropic societal rejects with multiple major dysfunctions, completely apathetic towards their end goal and with wildly varying moral compasses.

I understand the grim dark fantasy of DA:O is completely opposite to tolkeins idealism, but I'm sure you still see my point.

behold_a_man

Educated
Interesting take about the characters - the main thing impeding my enjoyment of DA:O was how grating and abrasive the party members were. They're not necessarily poorly written, they just make no sense in this storyline.

Pretty much all the characters in some form or another are at odds with the player or apathetic towards their goal. Morrigan initially wants nothing to do with you and berates you constantly, the gay elf guy tries to assassinate you, stenn outright dislikes you and only accompanies you out of a sense of honor, etc. This can work in a small scale story, but the main quest in DA:O is saving the world from a demon army lead by a dragon.

Imagine if in LOTR, instead of the Fellowship being a close knit group of dependable good natured people, it was a mash up of different misanthropic societal rejects with multiple major dysfunctions, completely apathetic towards their end goal and with wildly varying moral compasses.

I understand the grim dark fantasy of DA:O is completely opposite to tolkeins idealism, but I'm sure you still see my point.
Maybe their writers wanted to convey the feeling of working for BioWare?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
RPG scene that bad, uh? Yet another thread about bioware retardation.

:deadhorse:

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
No, they were poorly written. Their personalities were completely disconnected from their backstories, except for Sten who had no personality. Alastair is a prime example: bastard son of the king, given to the Templar order at a young age, now a junior Grey Warden - has the personality of a retarded high school kid. It doesn't work that way. You don't retain all of your infantile mannerisms through a lifetime of rigorous martial training. That'd be the first thing the templars beat out of you. And yet, here we are in DAI, where Alastair is king of Ferelden, and he's still written like an awkward comic relief.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom