Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skill systems (you really liked)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum's skill system was the best. It also had the best skills like Haggling and Gambling
I liked that you could Gamble for items with merchants and other traders.
Some of them don't gamble, while others will not gamble certain items.

Developer
TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children (Korean turn based tacticool game) has a very unique and deep skill system.

You get multiple skill boards (so you can switch specs for specific missions) with several categories, each with a number of slots (some unlockable as the character levels up) and a max number of skill points allowed, depending on the specific character. You acquire new skills as you progress through the game and as you level up "jobs", and from there you can go wild trying to find synergies, broken combos, and crafting skills from other skills (as stupid as it sounds, it works).

SkillBoard.jpg

Just Locus

Educated
I know it's a horse beaten to death but I'm a good fan of Demon's Souls' leveling system, Souls are the currency and experience points, You collect souls by defeating enemies and they are used both for purchasing items and leveling up your character. depending on how you allocate your stat points. You can focus on melee combat with high Strength and Vitality, become a spellcaster with high Magic or Faith, or create a hybrid build that combines different playstyles and how Weapons and spells have scaling attributes, meaning their effectiveness scales with certain stats.
It's quite traditional and simple but I like it for what it is.

Gregz

Arcane
I can't think of a single skill system I liked.
Not even Median XL?

I regard those as combat synergies that are innate to the class, and they are indeed elegant and fun.

When I think of 'skill systems', however, I think of persuasion checks, picking locks, sneaking, foraging, gambling, etc. Wasteland was perhaps interesting in that you could solve puzzles in several different ways. I.e. Strength, Explosives, or Lockpicking. But I never liked having to anticipate a game designer's arbitrary moon logic when allocating skill points for some problem that I can't foresee in the future. Forcing the player to develop skills in order to overcome an unknown system of puzzles that will appear at some arbitrary future point is fundamentally bad design, imo.

Thus, I don't care for the 'skill system' paradigm as a whole, generally speaking.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Witcher 1: I really like how you move between the bronze/silver/gold talents, which lets you have the feeling of a specialized build while still having a lot of basic skills. Wouldn't fit every setting and system, but when you're playing a predefined class it works really well, a shame no one ever copied it.
Gothics: The skill system as such is a bit generic, but the fact that you have to seek out actual trainers and don't just absorb knowledge out of the ether is really good and immersive.
Blood bowl: I like the idea that you play the hand you're dealt. Some players won't really be anything special as they level up, some become godlike after rolling access to special skills or stat upgrades. Would not work well for a game without expendable characters.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But I never liked having to anticipate a game designer's arbitrary moon logic when allocating skill points for some problem that I can't foresee in the future. Forcing the player to develop skills in order to overcome an unknown system of puzzles that will appear at some arbitrary future point is fundamentally bad design, imo.
Agree with this. Guessing "a game designer's arbitrary moon logic" makes the game too close to an Adventure game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I can't think of a single skill system I liked.
I came here to say Wasteland - and just saw your response above. :salute: And the designers did anticipate a little - you could use agility instead of climb, Finster's brain could be solved by skills or attributes, and they at least had some contingencies.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I liked the skill system in MegaTraveller & Twilight 2000. Shame the actual game didn't have any use for it. Basically, you get six attributes from 1-10, each with their own set of skills. There are dozens of skills, the problem is that very few are ever used. Something about a game that gives you seemingly useless skills that actually prove to be useful in the long run is something I don't see a lot of, and I think would be very cool.

Also, to be lazy, stuff like Might and Magic VI-VIII, and Fallout. M&M had the perfect system in execution, nice selection of skills, nice amount of points, all of them used.

deama

Prophet
Most favourite one for me would be something similar to path of exile, a giant passive tree with lootable crystals that you can slot in for active skills. Though in my version I would make it slot into the "body" rather than equipment, what they're doing in path of exile 2 I believe.

Another favourite of mine would be the dungeons and dragons online one too with the leveling up and enhancements, then later epic destinies, and hopefully later something else.

Diggfinger

Arcane
I think it's obviously good to have classes of skills. Just look at how many different skill types does GW1 have,

Skill types​

:shittydog:

For me, skill progression felt unbelievably satisfying in the classic RPGs; Fallout, Arcanum... Might and Magic (6-9), FNV.

but, dare I say, Athletics only runs in Oblivion might knock all those right out the ring :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom