Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Painkiller (Series) Thread

McPlusle

Savant
How do you feel about the Painkiller series? I'm currently doing my first playthrough of the original (on Nightmare difficulty) and it's pretty enjoyable but not on the level of its most immediate competitor, Serious Sam. I have the whole series, and I think it's pretty odd that there have been four (three of which are standalone) expansions and a remake, but never a sequel. Which one is in your opinion the best? Are there any mods I should check out after I'm done?

SilentMRG

Literate
The first one is really good. However, I've read in several places that the sequels are complete shit. Interestingly, all the titles after the first were developed by other companies, perhaps this is the reason for the poor quality.

Well, by now you must have finished the first one, anyway, I leave this unofficial patch: https://www.moddb.com/mods/randomgu...ads/randomguy7s-painkiller-fix-compilation-v4

This is by far the best way to experience the first in the series.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Complete garbage and unironically the precursor to all the modern FPS games. Hallways into arenas into hallways and loop forever. Enemies lack variety and personality. I want to like it but it's just bad. Maybe better if played coop but I'd rather play something with some personality.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Beautiful game but it's only fun at the beginning before the monotony of gameplay really sets in.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I've tried some mods and they're all garbage with major balancing issues.
And insane difficulty - which is not surprising when they're made by easterneuropean and for them "balanced and fair difficulty" is an unknown art

SilentMRG

Literate
And insane difficulty - which is not surprising when they're made by easterneuropean and for them "balanced and fair difficulty" is an unknown art
One of the most boring things for me is the boss battles. I don't know what People Can Fly thought to want to put huge, buggy bosses and with a specific way to defeat them. I mean, every stage is running for death and shooting and shooting, then you get to "Swamp Monster" and you have to shooting in bubbles to kill him.
:prosper:

Hell Swarm

Educated
One of the most boring things for me is the boss battles. I don't know what People Can Fly thought to want to put huge, buggy bosses and with a specific way to defeat them. I mean, every stage is running for death and shooting and shooting, then you get to "Swamp Monster" and you have to shooting in bubbles to kill him.
This is still the era of experimentation in 3d shooters. People didn't want bullet sponge bosses so the only other option was puzzle bosses. Likely encouraged since the rest of the game is a slaughter map

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There was Hell&Damnation remaster/remake where they butchered stake gun - it shot off-sync stakes. Doing combos (nade+stake to fire it away) more difficult.
At least some DLCs were nice - like new melee weapon and top-down camera levels.

SilentMRG

Literate
This is still the era of experimentation in 3d shooters. People didn't want bullet sponge bosses so the only other option was puzzle bosses. Likely encouraged since the rest of the game is a slaughter map
Precisely... In my humble opinion it would have been better to have a "survive for X amount of time" stage while hordes came, instead of these lame bosses. Sorry for the wordiness, but talking about these bosses brings me back to being 16 years old when I played these stages for the first time. And it was a bad experience in contrast to the good experience I had with the rest of the game.

Borelli

Arcane
I like Painkiller but i like Serious Sam more simply because i played Serious Sam first.

Reinhardt

Arcane
games were meh, but some monsters were cool looking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom