Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mako is fine in concept but in execution it's boring as shit. It's the one good thing that got removed after Mass Effect 1.

It would be different if they just focused on 1 or 2 planets with Mako and those 2 planets have content. Instead there are multiple planets, 90% empty bar random 1 or 2 base or 1 or 2 worms or for some random fetch quest you get from Citadel

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It would be different if they just focused on 1 or 2 planets with Mako and those 2 planets have content. Instead there are multiple planets, 90% empty bar random 1 or 2 base or 1 or 2 worms or for some random fetch quest you get from Citadel
Well yes. But that's space. It's big and mostly empty.

It's the one good thing that got removed after Mass Effect 1.
Removing the way guns worked in ME1 was also a good thing that got removed.

Litmanen

Educated
I don't like the mako section mainly because of two reasons, first driving mako is a huge pain in the ass, it sucks; second most of the planets has barely any content for you to actually explore. It feel like a after thought added just to make the galaxy feel larger. They probably ditch it in the sequels because it will be very resource comsuming to flash out the planet exploring and they simply don't have that kind of money.

They did improved both aspects in ME:A(though not by much).
Yes, that's it. I completely agree.

For me it was as much painful that I decided to quit the game
Cool story bro.
You are covid-tier funny.

Litmanen

Educated
I don't like the mako section mainly because of two reasons, first driving mako is a huge pain in the ass, it sucks; second most of the planets has barely any content for you to actually explore. It feel like a after thought added just to make the galaxy feel larger. They probably ditch it in the sequels because it will be very resource comsuming to flash out the planet exploring and they simply don't have that kind of money.

Yes, that's it. I completely agree.

For me it was as much painful that I decided to quit the game
I quitted the game again. Nice game, nice setting, but I hate planets' exploration. I really hate the MAKO and it drains any enthusiams out of me.
I'll leave it installed to try it again later but...

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mako shit had content - it had tons of mats for crafting, points of interest, bits for other quests, the occasional firefight. It also had a different feel for driving depending on gravity.

Never understood the Mako hate, I loved the damn thing personally, and it was a big part of giving me a sense of actually travelling around the galaxy in a spaceship, something badly lacking in 2 (never tried the last one, 2 was such a downgrade for me).

Could it have had more and better content? Sure, but it had enough to keep me mildly amused.

Litmanen

Educated
Mako shit had content - it had tons of mats for crafting, points of interest, bits for other quests, the occasional firefight. It also had a different feel for driving depending on gravity.

Never understood the Mako hate, I loved the damn thing personally, and it was a big part of giving me a sense of actually travelling around the galaxy in a spaceship, something badly lacking in 2 (never tried the last one, 2 was such a downgrade for me).

Could it have had more and better content? Sure, but it had enough to keep me mildly amused.
I do not question the Mako importance for the immersivity or that it can be really funny for someone.

I don't even know how to explain it and, honestly, how to justify why it really drains any enthusiasm out of me. Until I have been in the Citadel, talking to people, solving quest etc etc, I have had fun and thought "Why have I abandoned this game? It's fun, I will go over the boredom MAKO brings". But then, I have had the first two missions with the Mako (I was looking for Lara T'Soni and the scientists) and suddenly I was like "no, I can't.".

tritosine2k

Erudite
Therum (Liara mission) is p well done. Shame you don't get to return.

Landing missions in 2006-7 is a pretty tall order in development you are supposed to show off atmospheric scattering stuff. Also heightmap tech as a stand in for planetary surface is kinda ill fit. Bethesda just learned this the hard way.

Iucounu

Educated
Mako shit had content - it had tons of mats for crafting
Didn't understand that. Mats? Crafting?

It also had a different feel for driving depending on gravity.
That's my main gripe about it. Falling off 45 degree steep cliffs it bounces around like a rubber ball, in a way that should break every bone in its poor driver or at least make him throw up. Looks completely unrealistic.

actually travelling around the galaxy in a spaceship car
:P

To me it makes no sense to use a ground vehicle when you can fly above ground. ME2 did the logical thing by using a shuttle lander instead.

Ground vehicles give you inferior gameplay in all games, compared with both walking and flying. When you walk you can strafe, crouch, jump, climb ladders. When you fly you can ascend and descend, and engage in dog fights. The only advantage with a ground vehicle is that it's faster than walking; but that's only fun in proper racing games, in an exploration game you don't want to rush past interesting places at high speed.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Honestly, the Mako stuff wouldn't have been as controversial as it was if it wasn't for how every planetary map was a random mass of hills with objects occasionally dotting the area. If planets were like 25% as large it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Iucounu

Educated
Would have been fun if you could customize the Mako visually. Pimp yo' Mako!
They did that in MEA, and your hypothesis checks out. It is fun.
I trust this was sarcasm; but if not, my vote goes to a Pride flag theme. I'm confident Bioware will jump at the opportunity. :obviously:

Maybe it could be made funnier in other ways, perhaps by adding fuel consumtion, stealth technology etc, similar to the large submarine in Subnautica?

Honestly, the Mako stuff wouldn't have been as controversial as it was if it wasn't for how every planetary map was a random mass of hills with objects occasionally dotting the area. If planets were like 25% as large it wouldn't have been a problem at all.
True, the main quests with the Mako were less annoying. Maybe because the terrain was flatter, and you could shoot things more frequently.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Maybe it could be made funnier in other ways, perhaps by adding fuel consumtion, stealth technology etc, similar to the large submarine in Subnautica?
Oh yea adding range-anxiety into your fantasy games, that's the ticket!

this is how i feel about it too, forced minigame sections without substance in a game i was already speedhacking in to try to get through all the tedium. it's seriously one of the worst first games in a trilogy ever made, right up there with the witcher 1. they brought this shit back too in a me3 expansion and guess what, shit sucks there too :lol:

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Mass Effect 1 is a short game with very dense content all around unless you randomly explore uncharted worlds, there really is no tedium there and doesn't waste your time.

they brought this shit back too in a me3 expansion and guess what, shit sucks there too :lol:
The Mako was never brought back, there were no vehicles in ME3. There was a small DLC with some platforming minigames using some type of hovercraft. Either way, no idea where you got this information.

it's seriously one of the worst first games in a trilogy ever made, right up there with the witcher 1
lol, i see, you are retarded

Iucounu

Educated
Mass Effect 1 is a short game with very dense content all around unless you randomly explore uncharted worlds, there really is no tedium there and doesn't waste your time.
No tedium, unless you explore the unchartered worlds...

they brought this shit back too in a me3 expansion and guess what, shit sucks there too :lol:
The Mako was never brought back, there were no vehicles in ME3. There was a small DLC with some platforming minigames using some type of hovercraft. Either way, no idea where you got this information.
It's ME:Andromeda that brought back the ground vehicle. Handling is improved, but instead they've removed its cannon, so when you occasionally find something to shoot you must stop the car, jump out and shoot on foot. They also brought back the time-wasting tedium of exploring empty worlds, so the only entertainment while driving is listening to the effeminate chatter of your squad mates.

Modron

Arcane
It's ME:Andromeda that brought back the ground vehicle. Handling is improved, but instead they've removed its cannon, so when you occasionally find something to shoot you must stop the car, jump out and shoot on foot
You should have been doing this in ME 1 as well because there was an xp penalty for killing things with the mako. I would even get out and snipe the geth dropships.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
They also brought back the time-wasting tedium of exploring empty worlds, so the only entertainment while driving is listening to the effeminate chatter of your squad mates.
Not true, there are no empty worlds in MEA like in ME1

Naraya

Arcane
I bought a CE of ME1 on release, together with the art book, mouse pad and a t-shirt. It's a solid game and my personal favourite of the series before the full console retardation ensued.

Iucounu

Educated
They also brought back the time-wasting tedium of exploring empty worlds, so the only entertainment while driving is listening to the effeminate chatter of your squad mates.
I didn't mean it literally, just that there were lots of empty desert or snow to cross between the quest locations.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I didn't mean it literally, just that there were lots of empty desert or snow to cross between the quest locations.
I see, you were making a joke about Mass Effect Andromeda! Ah yes I remember when we used to do that here. It was very popular back in 2018.

Good times.

it's seriously one of the worst first games in a trilogy ever made, right up there with the witcher 1
lol, i see, you are retarded
this means literally nothing coming from a bosniak subhuman slav who doesn't understand English, go back to class and get the fuck off the white man's internet, and comb your face while you're at it too, monkey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom