Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Manor Lords - medieval city-building with large scale battles

Zariusz

Arbiter
Man, its bizzare to see The Wall posting so much positive stuff in one thread about a modern game. Normally by now you would expect a wall of blackpilled ramblings, probably mentioning degeneracy of slavic urban inteligentsia since this is a Polish game. I guess a decent wokeless game once in years will work like a detox, hah!

Going back to Manor Lords, i do hope that devs will not collapse upon their own success. While it may seem unlikely now, games that started loud with a bang and praise only to later stagnate and crumble into the dust arent unheard of, especially amongst early access stuff i believe.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A lot of people just want an interactive wallpaper, watching shit grow and little dudes going about their business
There's a German word for that, coined back when The Settlers was made and became a hit: Wuselfaktor. Literally translated it means scurrying factor. It's the joy of building up a city and seeing all your little dudes scurry about the screen going about their business.

spectre

Arcane
Imagine discussing the actual game on the Codex. Whatever happened.

The UI has good fundamentals, imo - no information overload, resources are grouped and e.g. building materials get an expanded view when you're building.
I'm not saying it's fucking perfect, but at least the plotting and road building tools are enjoyable to use. That's my personal impression and I don't intend it to be the universal truth,
just a comparison to some other games I've played in the genre.
Personally, the prime candidate for improvement is the trade screen, especially when you'll be scrolling through more shit, some sort of filtering will be handy.

There's a German word for that, coined back when The Settlers was made and became a hit: Wuselfaktor. Literally translated it means scurrying factor. It's the joy of building up a city and seeing all your little dudes scurry about the screen going about their business.
Call me a casual, but that's what I want first in a builder game - the shit I've plotted need to look good, alive and flavorful. My breed of autism doesn't find joy in optimizing processes down to the last 0,01%

While it may seem unlikely now, games that started loud with a bang and praise only to later stagnate and crumble into the dust arent unheard of, especially amongst early access stuff i believe.
My biggest concern is if it's going to be a perpetual sanbox or skirmish game, or will there be some form of progression, perhaps even a campaign.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Wuselfaktor was always intended as an endearing term, because there's an inherent joy in building up a bustling village and watching it come alive as your citizens go after the jobs you assigned to them.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of people just want an interactive wallpaper, watching shit grow and little dudes going about their business
Kind of like the current state of Victoria 3 - zero challenge, just watch the colorful map with clouds and watch your gdp go up.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Kind of like the current state of Victoria 3 - zero challenge, just watch the colorful map with clouds and watch your gdp go up.
No, Paradox map painters are too abstract to have Wuselfaktor.

Wuselfaktor exists when you can watch dozens if not hundreds of little dudes marching across the screen going after their business. Detailed economic models where resources are transported across roads and turned into goods help a lot with that.
Paradox's extremely abstract number balancers are the exact opposite of this.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You know, the dev could've side-stepped a lot of shit if he just posted a roadmap.

Even something as simple as

May - busy with tons of drugs and hookers
June - buying new real estate, irl, with all my new money
July - finally getting around to fixing small bugs

Etc

spectre

Arcane
You know, the dev could've side-stepped a lot of shit if he just posted a roadmap.
Best you can get at the moment:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1363080/discussions/0/4358998287110042015/

Hey folks, I'm Matt, the Community Director at Hooded Horse. I have some news about the upcoming patch being worked on for Manor Lords. Slavic Magic has shared some highlights of what’s coming up.
  • Fixing all the homeless bugs.
  • Tuning the archer damage.
  • Tuning the trade oversupply mechanics (right now, it’s harsh and punishes regional specialization.).
  • Slowing down the rate of AI claiming territories.
  • Improving sawpit efficiency/storage.
We're also actively reviewing feedback and bug reports. All information and feedback have been incredibly helpful to us in identifying issues. If you'd like to join the Manor Lords Discord[discord.com] community, it's a great place to chat, troubleshoot, and discuss the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Best you can get at the moment:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1363080/discussions/0/4358998287110042015/

Hey folks, I'm Matt, the Community Director at Hooded Horse. I have some news about the upcoming patch being worked on for Manor Lords. Slavic Magic has shared some highlights of what’s coming up.
  • Fixing all the homeless bugs.
  • Tuning the archer damage.
  • Tuning the trade oversupply mechanics (right now, it’s harsh and punishes regional specialization.).
  • Slowing down the rate of AI claiming territories.
  • Improving sawpit efficiency/storage.
We're also actively reviewing feedback and bug reports. All information and feedback have been incredibly helpful to us in identifying issues. If you'd like to join the Manor Lords Discord[discord.com] community, it's a great place to chat, troubleshoot, and discuss the game.

Those are actually good fixes and some of my (and thousands of other players') top complaints about the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, Paradox map painters are too abstract to have Wuselfaktor.

Wuselfaktor exists when you can watch dozens if not hundreds of little dudes marching across the screen going after their business. Detailed economic models where resources are transported across roads and turned into goods help a lot with that.
Paradox's extremely abstract number balancers are the exact opposite of this.
The map has some cosmetic animations such as the clouds, or cars, trains and carriages passing, also the time of day is changing, although it's not so closely tied and responsive to your actions as the morphing of the picture in Settlers 2.

Kruyurk

Learned
Wuselfaktor is having a good ale coverage in Stronghold with the drunkards wandering in the streets. And some schadenfreuktor if there is also a bear roaming the streets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom