Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Reality

Learned
I still remember buying this on sale, seeing the file size, and refunding.

Might talk myself into trying again in a year.

Nathir

Liturgist
I bought this on winter sale and completed it the other day. It's a good game all in all but not perfect. It's a really fun game, good presentation, addicting and fun gameplay. It's fun to collect the different knights and to level them up, to see their abilities. The gameplay is simple but fun, I wish there was more enemy variety and types of encounters (like more ambushes for instance, you go first in 95% of battles.). Or enemies that would force you to think a little bit instead of just destroying them first turn with everything you have. All the secondary systems like gear, merchants, city builder etc. Are simple enough to grasp, and don't get in the way of the core gameplay, while providing meaningful choices and rewards. I like that you can't have all the knights at once, or that you can't finish all the buildings in one playthrough.

I went with Rightful/Christian for my first playthrough and standout knights were Mordred, Dindraine, Tegyr and Lucan. Dindraine and Tegyr with maxed out loyalty took out 3 people every round with ease. Mordred became an unkillable beast pretty soon in the game, and lucan provided sage support with dash to easily jump behind enemy lines. Champions like Lancelot and White knight are great too, but require more effort to set up and reach the frontlines, in which time you can already destroy most of the encounter. Vanguards in particular seem busted. Didn't use arcanists at all.

The story starts out interesting enough, but starting with act3 it kinda gives up and just introduces more and more "we need to do x magic or find y mcguffin to progress into z or kill q" types of missions. I kinda zoned out and started skipping through the cutscenes. Not that the story is bad or cringe or something like that. It's serviceable, but just kinda there. The missions also start to drag a little towards the end with not much variation except for more enemies.

The game is a bit too easy I think? I played my first playthrough on hard, which is supposed to be the second hardest (out of 5) options and it was a breeze. There were like 3 missions that felt tough. The White Knight mission, one of the red knight missions and the final boss of act 1(probably because of low lvl characters and suboptimal gear). Now I started endgame and just finished two missions and the difficulty spike is incredibly high. But in a way where it's just 2x the amount of enemies with 3x the stats. Not sure if I will continue, probably will just wait for the expansion or start a new Old faith playthrough on roguelite.

All in all a solid 8/10 game. Reminds me of the old days, where no matter what you bought and how janky it was, it would be interesting enough to just play and unlock new things and look at all the cool stuff. Just needs a little more variety and fine tuning regarding encounters and enemy types.

Yeah I dunno about this one. I really like the tone and art direction of this game and the writing and story seems solid, but even after just 3 hours the gameplay is already getting boring. I'm playing on hard and i think it's not difficult at all.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
maaan, 40gig? really?

40 gigs of cerebral RPG orgasm though. Really, this game is the best I've played in 20 years and I haven't even completed it yet. Look at how this game has changed my RPG style by Act 2:
- Gave Balin the boot because he's a tyrant and I'm running a good Christian run. Balin is and always was probably the most powerful knight in these games. So powergaming style out the window.
- Get Tristan to replace him and can't believe how awesome it is to play with his poison abilities enhanced with items. Plus his banter is more interesting than Balin from a RPG roleplaying POV.
- Have to give Tristan and Isolde the boot because I just got the White Knight who doesn't like tree-humpers.
- White Knight gets +1 loyalty per dead hero and I just disbanded all of these knights before I read his stat sheet. Kinda annoyed that you get rewarded for bad gamplay / killing off knights.

Apart from a few niggling things like the last decision mentioned, and you can't use the 'F' keys to select knights (you have to with the mouse) and something else that escapes my mind atm, this really is top tier RPG gameplay.

CoronerZg Galdred THanks for the input, I'm running the latest version and just tried to replace a potion with another one in notepad and the savegame disappeared. It was still in the directory, but didn't show up in the game. Steamtards are talking about cloud sync messing with things, but I don't have that enabled in the global settings. Might just tinker a bit more...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Nope, no luck on the editing in V2.0. Unless I'm retarded. I changed the gold value from 550 to 950 and the game just disappears from the load menu. Cloud saves disabled and were from game launch/before first save. Thanks for the input though.

EDIT: Actually it turns out I am retarded. You have to edit the savegame with notepad++ not just de normal windows notepad thingy. Confirmed gold + resource changes from 3 digits value to another 3 digit value.

std::namespace

You're like this forum's equivalent to a woman's migraine.
i clicked on your posts and saw this
SpFoLfL.png

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK, CUCKNIGGER!!!

Harthwain

Magister
- Gave Balin the boot because he's a tyrant and I'm running a good Christian run. Balin is and always was probably the most powerful knight in these games. So powergaming style out the window.
Being Christian cancels out being Rightful so you could technically keep him. But you'd need to boost his loyalty by other means if you wanted bonuses.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
IIRC the hardest mode (not the roguelike option) is probably the best way to play this game, it seems well balanced in a ball-punching type of way.

Although I should probably warn you that the difficulty usually involves swarming you with loads of high HP enemies. So if that's not your style, than maybe drop down a level or two.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Also a bit disapointed they prevented savegame editing. I was gonna play it legit at least once, but it seems a bit "My game, my rules" of them. Like that Jewish family member at Christmas at the monopoly board.
What did they prevent? I'm just doing a new run and I've added some gems (using text editor to edit my save file) so I can test the new Forge mechanic. And to be honest,
it's pretty dumb mechanic... cause items you upgrade (increase level or increase rarity) don't really get upgraded but instead you get new item with completely different properties.

I'm still a noob, but potentially I see my playstayle as never buying arms, armour or magic items at the merchant. Then buying loot bags of saphires and topaz gems. Then upgrading whatever crap the game randomly throws at me. I upgraded the initial grey weapon rune for Mordred with a saphire and am in the process of getting i to a relic. So it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Then you just keep whatever item your knight is lacking if you failed at item roulette and direct your resources into gambling again at the forge. I can see their thinking on this, but I don't know yet how it will pan out as there doesn't seem to be enough gold for...the next thing. And how that thing gels into the whole kingdom management / item upgrade playstyle.

You have to give them kudos for thiking outside the box though. I mean with gems & relic dust, they've skipped the whole gold economy thing altogether. I still need to look into the enchantment tower as well for how it deals with relics.

Vatnik Wumao
Since I'm tempted to try out this game, do the various alignments have their own endings (even if it's just some lousy epilogue cinematic dependent on alignment)? Or is it the same standard ending regardless of what choices you've made throughout the game?

Harthwain

Magister
Since I'm tempted to try out this game, do the various alignments have their own endings (even if it's just some lousy epilogue cinematic dependent on alignment)? Or is it the same standard ending regardless of what choices you've made throughout the game?
The core of the story is the same. What changes is what knights you can recruit and missions associated with them. This is not "the choices matter" kind of game the way you would normally think.

Vatnik Wumao
The core of the story is the same. What changes is what knights you can recruit and missions associated with them. This is not "the choices matter" kind of game the way you would normally think.
That I know. Wasn't expecting fancy ending slides for trivial sidequest nonsense or what have you, just hoped that there'd be at least some acknowledgement in the epilogue of what alignment you finished the game with and what that would entail for the setting. Oh well, perhaps with the Roman-themed expansion since they'd only need one for the Life path and one for the Death path.

Nathir

Liturgist
There are some different lines of dialouge spoken by Mordred at the end I think. And that's it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
8drssw.jpg

Pretty great game, although after spending a whopping 100 hours on it, I have to say I'm actually glad that it's over, in the sense that at some point I felt it's been eating way too much of my time. Also the last mission that I think brought me any difficulty was the gate to the Deepwood with Gawain - the final fight against the Seelie mob at the magic gate might have been one of the highlights of this game in general. After that it was smooth sailing all the way to the end, with one exception being Balor's champ, though that one caught me a bit off guard.

With how obscenely strong my A team has become at some point (Mordred, Balin, Leodegrance, Dindraine), I had to salvage any form of challenge the game had to offer by using the B team (Pelleas, Lancelot, Tegyr, Ector) increasingly more often, to the point that I think by the end I was actually using it more than the main dudes. Not that I'm really complaining, that's still much preferable to just facerolling everything with no effort whatsoever, and it was fun to mix things around, especially once I realised that the dudes I picked for the B team started getting some remarkable synergies between themselves that I didn't even consider initially - which is another thing that testifies to the strength of this game's systems.

Ah, actually the last mission that really gave me a hard time was Lancelot's quest - because I took my B team to it, and the said B team wasn't even fully formed yet for real (Lancelot was its last piece).

Also - is there any way to recruit Percivale? Or does he appear only in that one main quest? Feels a bit strange that he'd be the only one impossible to recruit when you can get all the other big names like Lancelot and Galahad, but I guess he's a guy with a mission.

And finally, I wish the main quest was more than 'Sorry Mordred, but the real King Arthur is in another castle!' because that got tiresome already after killing him two times but not really, and shit like him becoming the green knight in chapter 3 just straight up felt tacked on and nonsensical.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, the final thing that made me laff hella in the last battle was when Sir Balins killed Arthur for real, which triggered a cutscene of the party moving closer to the corpse. But since the party walks as a single entity, Balins had to rejoin it first, and what it looked like was that he first stabbed Arthur to deff and then just nonchalantly walked away :lol:

And speaking of which, it's incredibly fucking gay that the dragon can't be backstabbed. It defanged Balins very significantly and prevented him from doing his 300 damage backstab tango. Really hate shit like this in games - 'hope you didn't plan on using dis strategy dis one particular time lul'

abija

Prophet
Also - is there any way to recruit Percivale? Or does he appear only in that one main quest? Feels a bit strange that he'd be the only one impossible to recruit when you can get all the other big names like Lancelot and Galahad, but I guess he's a guy with a mission.
He joined me after the 2nd mission I've met him in or smthing like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom