Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware How will AI affect RPGs?

Skorpion

Educated
For those who think AI will be limited to asset creation, there is a video you should watch that illustrates a far greater potential for its use in video games:

It's not a big leap to imagine this bot playing games with much reduced set of verbs, such as Counterstrike or even more complicated games like Baldur's Gate. It will be possible to train an AI that responds to the player's actions on the fly without needing to code for every possibility, and do so spending less time and money than current approaches.

call me crazy but the voice over for this vid seems like its an AI itself

Peachcurl

Cipher
For those who think AI will be limited to asset creation, there is a video you should watch that illustrates a far greater potential for its use in video games:

It's not a big leap to imagine this bot playing games with much reduced set of verbs, such as Counterstrike or even more complicated games like Baldur's Gate. It will be possible to train an AI that responds to the player's actions on the fly without needing to code for every possibility, and do so spending less time and money than current approaches.

call me crazy but the voice over for this vid seems like its an AI itself

Dunno, it's possible. The inflection is definitely super annoying. Worse than anything 11.ai would produce.

Angthoron

Arcane
BioWare and Bethesda might have a chance to improve the writing in their products.

Oh wait, sorry, the thread says "RPGs".

thesecret1

Arcane
It will be used for decline. Procedurally generated dialogues where an NPC can prattle ad infinitum about pointless shit that has no bearing on anything, and that might even contradict pointless shit other NPCs tell you.

It will be used for decline. Procedurally generated dialogues where an NPC can prattle ad infinitum about pointless shit that has no bearing on anything, and that might even contradict pointless shit other NPCs tell you.
a game where npc is Noober from Baldur's Gate

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
However, editing and selecting the good machine-generated content from the bad or mediocre machine-generated content, as predicted by Jonathan Swift, will consume most of the time people spend creating content.
Meh. You can use the data "illegally" gathered for bots that do most of this. No one can cry about it, since it's not being used to "copy" anything. Just to evaluate, and probably behind closed doors.

That's even assuming AI butthurt gets off the ground legally.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Remake Dunjonquest. Will AI be able to fuck better? Be sexier? Pshhh.. I'd be for AI restoring and organizing lost archives using less space but more accessible and faster to go through.

Some People will still crave hand crafted stuff and not ai fabrication. But when will it be utterly indistinguishable?

Oberon

Learned
They (and all other games) will need even less effort to produce, and therefore become even shittier than they already are.
The times when more efficiency meant higher quality and/or lower prices for the customer have been over for a long time now.
...the first of his plagues have arrived, a flood unlike the world hath ever seen. Rather than the briny waters bested by Noah’s infernal ingenuity, the False Father deluges the whole of the earth in a vast ocean of information in a murderous bid to drown the minds of all men.
What once were streets and avenues and hanging gardens and museums are now submerged, equally lightless, undifferentiated in form, and choked with seaweed. The bloated corpses of philosopher, artist, priest, and king float toward the horizon, a cruel reminder of the sweet ancient wisdom that has turned to dust in our mouths.
Those scholars who scaled the highest towers now languish on the rooftops, drag thorns across their flesh, and welcome oblivion with open arms while Momus grins...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
AI talks too much like some noisy bitch. I like my 80s

Try and do that you AI you...

Oh wait.... videogames caused this to begin with! Ah FUCK ME!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Remake Dunjonquest. Will AI be able to fuck better? Be sexier? Pshhh.. I'd be for AI restoring and organizing lost archives using less space but more accessible and faster to go through.

Some People will still crave hand crafted stuff and not ai fabrication. But when will it be utterly indistinguishable?
People already know to examine eyes and hands carefully, but it's a matter of time before those shortcomings are addressed. I've seen people mistake fixed eyes and fixed hands for a human creation, even when AI was used to fix it.

The more complex and flawless AI compositions get, the less distinguishable they will be from "human" creations. Especially when said humans are already using photoshop and photobashing to cook up their creations. And I see nothing in that Nvidia video to tell me that AI did it.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Decline from what exactly? It's not 1998.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
AI Roguelite has been a thing since last year and seems a lot more complex than this reddit garbage that doesn't even have a link.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It is indeed a janky implementation. I have no idea why people with any skill wouldn't just fix the hands/eyes, since I've been doing it with img2img since v1.4.

The GPT-3 example also needs some work. It's GPT-3. You can input personality data and give the character some color. A funny accent. Something.

But I get the feeling that most of this is basically a tech demo, and that he's using a vanilla version of Stable Diffusion from several releases ago, or else got started on that and didn't want to change up the style.

I kind of like the normal map rotation thing he's implemented on those character cards though. I'd be interested in using something like that to train LORAs.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
That's actually impressive. And quite fascinating to see its future iterations.
Including its awfully immoral ones obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom