Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Seven Islands - Hand-drawn tribute to classic RPG and comics

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Heroes of the Seven Islands will be published on Steam early 2025.

It is a (poorly) hand-drawn tribute to classic role-playing video games, such as might and magic 3-8, and franco-belgian comic albums.

The Steam page is not released yet, I would be glad to see you on my (almost empty) discord server:

Capture d’écran 2024-04-04 à 13.30.09.png
https://discord.gg/x5RgFnp3CC

Feel free to ask me anything, I would be glad to answer!

I created this thread because it has been suggested here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/codexian-game-development-thread.69297/page-230#post-8937596

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What do you think the average playtime will be for the finished game? Have you decided on a price? What engine are you using?

Good luck!

:salute:

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
What do you think the average playtime will be for the finished game? Have you decided on a price? What engine are you using?

Good luck!

Tyranicon Thank you for your support and your questions!

I hope the playtime will be around 5-10 hours.

I do not have decided on a price yet, do you have a suggestion for this kind of game? I currently hesitate between a small price (maybe 5 euros) or making it free. Making it free would make sense since it's a hobby (yet serious) project, still, it would require some investment (current estimation is 12 to 16 hours a week in my spare time for 1 year, drawing and coding), and maybe engagement from players may be better with a small price. idk.

The engine is a custom engine, web-based using good old html, js and css things, embedded in an executable.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Good luck!

Tyranicon Thank you for your support and our questions!

I do not have decided on a price yet, do you have a suggestion for this kind of game? I currently hesitate between a small price (maybe 5 euros, max 10 anyway) or making it free. Making it free would make sense since it's a hobby project, still, it would require some investment (current estimation is 12 to 16 hours a week in my spare time for 1 year, drawing and coding), and maybe engagement from players may be better with a small price.

The engine is a custom engine, web-based using good old html, js and css things, embedded in an executable.
I would go with 5€, for 5 to 10 hours it's worth it, and if you give it out for free, some people won't try it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I do not have decided on a price yet, do you have a suggestion for this kind of game? I currently hesitate between a small price (maybe 5 euros) or making it free. Making it free would make sense since it's a hobby (yet serious) project, still, it would require some investment (current estimation is 12 to 16 hours a week in my spare time for 1 year, drawing and coding), and maybe engagement from players may be better with a small price. idk.

Pricing depends on what your goals are. If you want the most amount of people to play it, release it for free on Steam and Itchio and you will get a lot of downloads and feedback. Could be good if you want to build up a fanbase.

If you actually want to make money, then I would actually improve the game to the point where you would sell it for ~10 euros. 5 euros is a reasonable price for what you're doing, but unfortunately a lot of people just assume anything at that price point is shovelware.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Some icons for the frames, inspired by the wonderful frames borders of Ivan Bilibin paintings

I used some of them for the "Create your party" screen (in light mode and dark mode), work in progress. By the way, this screen feels a bit empty, not sure what to do to make it better

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Suspicious vampire
vampire6-ezgif.com-apng-to-gif-converter.gif

AdolfSatan

Arcane
So… What about the mechanics? How does the chargen work? What’s the enemy AI like? What about quest structure?

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
So… What about the mechanics? How does the chargen work? What’s the enemy AI like? What about quest structure?
Thank you for your question. Game mechanics are inspired by might and magic 3-8: lore, stats, simple quests, large world, trainers, stat-based combat, and so-on

Fights are turn-based, yet fast-paced especially when party stats are higher to avoid waiting seconds for easy fights. Here clunky is a video, in French, with bugs. Heroes can attack with their weapon, use a special ability based on their class (once per combat), cast spells, or sing a song. Enemies currently just attack a valid hero

About the game itself, there are 7 islands with villages, dungeons, lands, and so on. The story is simple and deliberately naive: Furax the indestructible has returned from the dead to destroy the world. Only the Oracle knows how to destroy him, but to meet the Oracle, you need to obtain the 7 keys from the 7 kings and queens of 7 islands. 4 heroes are sent to find them. Or something like that.

By the way, the game is still in early steps, I would be glad to have pre-pre-alpha testers! Nothing to offer but the game for free and name in credits. Here are a few random screenshots to show a few mechanics:

Let me know if you have any questions or criticisms, I would be glad to elaborate!

AdolfSatan

Arcane
tkt chuis en fr en fait, wouldn’t mind testing when it’s a bit more developed.
Genuine question: if you’re aware they’re a waste of time and are implementing mechanics to make easy fights go faster, why even have them at all?

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Dr Skeleton It's an excellent comic and it's obviously one of my inspirations in terms of illustrations. However, I'm trying to emancipate myself from this style so that I don't just look like a copy, but it's difficult, given that I'm making antropomorphic characters in a cartoon style and that I love this comic :)

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
tkt chuis en fr en fait, wouldn’t mind testing when it’s a bit more developed.
Genuine question: if you’re aware they’re a waste of time and are implementing mechanics to make easy fights go faster, why even have them at all?
I like this question! Fighting easy enemies may not be a waste of time but rather something satisfying, but it should not be annoying. In might and magic, I like to go back to easy zone, just to throw meteors on everything, even if there is no challenge, but killing dozen of easy enemies can be relaxing, especially when they were hard foes in early game. Not sure I'm clear, anyway I will keep your question in mind: if some combats feel like a chore, I have to avoid them.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dr Skeleton It's an excellent comic and it's obviously one of my inspirations in terms of illustrations. However, I'm trying to emancipate myself from this style so that I don't just look like a copy, but it's difficult, given that I'm making antropomorphic characters in a cartoon style and that I love this comic :)
Eh, it's not like it's a 1:1 copy, and they also used different styles over the years, so I think it's all good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom