Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Extensive RPG Elements In Strategy Games

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
For those of you who frequent strat/sim you know I post there a lot about a game I'm making. It was a bit of a tossup where to post it because it has extensive RPG systems and mechanics. You can technically play the leader of an adventuring party in the game even.

A lot of people on site don't read strat/sim and I wanted some feedback on some of the RPG stuff.

Specifically I am programming the Social Occasions system right now. Basically rulers in real life had to engage in a variety of stuff, including the stuff that the CK3 DLC Royal Court deals with, poorly IMO but woo shiny graphics, as well as Feasts, Hunts, Holidays and such. A lot of key parts of history happened as feasts or parties or councils or w/e.

Preface

So one thing I'm doing right now to build up to some videos of an pre-alpha game is getting the core aspects of the Social Occasions system up and running. I'm somewhat sad I didn't have my life together to launch in 2017 as I wanted when I started the project in 2013 because Social Occasions are somewhat similar to "Holding Court" in CK3. The implementation is quite distinct but it would have been a totally unprecendeted feature back in 2017.

https://axiomsofdominion.substack.c...vals?r=i2fsj&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

That is the link to the previously released design blog on the topic though it is relatively high level.

Now that I'm actually writing the code I thought I might ask fans, or potential fans, if they had any thoughts about the actual implementation.

It is relevant for this discussion that Axioms is turn based. Social Occasions are planned in the Gathering Menu. You compile a list of Activities, send Invitations to Characters, and in the Invitations you describe the Activities that Character is invited to and you decide if they can have Family attend, or if you allow for Friends.

Social Occasions And Activities
So first I'll talk some more about Activities. Events can contain a wide variety of Activities but nearly all events will contain a Feast. Feasts exist in games like Star Dynasties or Crusader Kings but they are relatively simple. In Axioms a Feast is in the abstract something like the Feast in Pathfinder: Kingmaker held by the Aldori Swordlord who gives you your chance to travel into The Stolen Lands and become a Baron.

Now obviously Axioms is not an isometric RPG and there are no character models. Perhaps the next CK3 expansion will let you use the 3D environments they pioneered in Courts in other events as well? That's what I'd do if I was their design lead. Events will take place in text menus. I suppose you could have an icon based system since TGUI is a fully functional GUI library. Something for modders maybe.

So for a Feast you assigned some Guests to the High Table to eat with you in the Invitations. Others will sit at the lower tables. You'll have a few Events at the High Table, simple procedural stuff not handcrafted with cute dialogue, based on your Standing with relevant Characters. Think like making Friends and stuff in Academagia or another menu based school/medieval sim game. Long Live The Queen, maybe. Generally the Feast is just about who gets to sit with the host and the quality of the preperations. Food, the Building it happens in, and perhaps Entertainment choices.

Follow the feast, or perhaps proceeding if I set Feasts to take place at the end of Social Occasions, you'll work through each of the other Activities at the Social Occasion. Sometimes you might only host a simple Feast. As noted in the Substack Design Blog post you also have events like Balls, Duels, Hunts, Tournaments, Religious Rites, and so forth. This is because Social Occasions represent anything from a humble Feast to a yearly polity/culture/religion wide Holiday Festival.

Axioms also has Grand Tours for newly crowned kings in the style or Majipoor or Karl Franz in Warhammer Fantasy. Depending on the society you may also have Courts that move around or you can do a Monarch's Progress, such as happened in history or under the Targaryens in A Song Of Ice And Fire.

Reasons For Social Occasions
If you read the linked blog post you know that polities in Axioms can have Social Calenders. Events which happen every year or every few years held by some leader, lord, or functionary. You might also have parties for Births and Deaths. Much like in your favorite fantasy or historical fiction novel invites are coveted and snubs and so forth have interesting social consequences. Holding an event on the day of a well known occasion hosted by another character could also get you into trouble. Additionally what event characters go to when forced to pick could have interesting ramifications. Typically only worlds that have progressed far into history, say 4000 years or more, would have lots of societies with complex social calenders with annual events.

Dances and Hunts and Tournaments typically have fewer events than Feasts and usually occasion specific ones. Social Occasions provide a unique chance to get in good with a specific Character. Host an Event Honoring someone specific, let them get the killing blow on the Hunt, Dance with someone, and so forth. Axioms has a very detailed Friend/Retainer/Long Term Relationship simulation and includes dynasties/houses/families/polities with decades to centuries long rock solid multi-generational relationships. Social Occasions ties into that system quite a bit.

Timeframe And Organization
NPCs will also be doing things at these events independent of the player character. Social Occasions will tie into the Conspiracy system and general Espionage and even Propaganda. This system provides not only a rich gameplay experience even with just icons and buttons and text boxes, but it replicates historical systems and events and helps to allow for lots of things important to stuff like the rise and fall of the ottomans, without making blogging generally easy.

Each turn in Axioms will ideally be a 5-10 time period depending on what I fix it at at the end of development. Invitations go out one turn, come back the next, and the event happens on a third turn. Characters can go to a few events a turn if necessary. This may be a special variable in settings or it may be handled by the Attention Points systems.

Importantly events take both Resources and Wealth as well as Attention Points to organize. There will be some tradeoffs as far as delegation for events. Having a Spouse or Child or Relative or Functionary plan it could impact the perception and results. Characters will have to choose, to some degree, what they really want to spend their allotment of Attention Points doing. These do roll over in the current design. Maybe I'll cut it to half rollover based on play testing. In fact every mechanic and submechanic is subject to playtesting but I don't generally expect a lot of cuts or additions.

Impact And Integration
As noted you can hold events for lots of reasons. A Feast could honor a character, a victory, a birth, or death, or a marriage. You can also hold events for Oaths and Vows(see the substack post on "Commitments") to lend them more weight and thus benefit for keeping or penalty for breaking. Sometimes based on your society characters will expect events for stuff and sometimes they'll be optional.

Social Occasions will typically provide a boost, when well organized and resourced, to Opinion and Respect. You might also gain Honor or Trust. These are discussed in the relevant post on my Substack with all of these in the title. For special cases you might also gain Fear. Aside from Opinion the secondary parts of "Standing" are subject to some shuffling. I might drop Trust or Honor or add Tyranny or Dread or something. Opinion is the primary part of "Standing" but the other Aspects are important to represent the impact of some actions and decisions properly and create an interesting world.

Many societies required Feasting and other Social Occasions as part of their system of leader Standing. Showing wealth and generosity and the supportof the gods and so forth. Similar Court/Justice and Festivals/Ceremonies were key to maintaining rule. This is because unlike the depiction in most strategy games, including those from Paradox, rulers were not autocrats. They needed the support of stakeholders. Whether that was tribal freemen or aristocrats or merchants or citizens/patricians and so forth. Even the pop culture representation of "godkings" was not super accurate historically.

Conclusion/Pitch
Axioms takes the effort to limit snowballing and blobbing in an interesting and organic way seriously. Many of these elements were also key for diplomacy or espionage, for players who want to do something besides stab things. The most basic pitch of Axioms is what if you could play a ruler, or a non-landed character, who made their way through charisma or deceit or administrative talent. Social Occasions as a detailed, integrated, and powerful system are a key part of achieving that promise.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I did a bunch of work on this shit which you can read about here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AxiomsOfDominion/comments/t0ugts/axioms_progress_updates/
This currently just has 2 posts about my work on social Occasions in the last 2 days plus some plans for the rest of this week.

The Social Occasion system is more a sim rpg like Academagia or other school or noble life sims, but Axioms have core RPG systems as well.

Characters have attributes as well as magical aptitudes which can be trained. The default system doesn't use experience or monster hunting although that does work if you have the right Deities or other methods. There's even a framework for cultivation style magic although it isn't focused on martial arts.

Axioms has a lot of gameplay roughly similar to a text adventure rpg like Academagia or Darklands. I don't have any plans to write out detailed adventures with cool backgrounds and stuff but that would be relatively easy to mod. The zlib-licensed SFML based GUI library I use allows for that kind of thing. However the systems in the game represent a "living world" in the RPG context such that it shouldn't be necessary to pre-script things.

Axioms has "secret locations" that form in 2 ways. 1 is on world generation and is important for helping the world develop in the first 1000 years or so. The game will release with worlds that have run through 2000, 4000, and 8000 years of history. You can start your own world on turn 0, though. Secondly locations are formed by events in the game. Lost cities, secret enclaves, that sort of shit. So the "Exploration/Adventuring" system will allow you to find that stuff. Sometimes you might fight monsters but other times you would just be overcoming obstacles and stuff. Sometimes you'll find more Illwinter style hidden sites that provide rare resources or items or buildings or tameable creatures or w/e and you won't be diving into lost cities or dungeons or anything. Hidden locations are findable through the Intelligence Network system if another character has already located it, although generally they are hard to find that way. I guess Eador is an example of such a system although the mechanics are different in many ways.

A bunch of rarer things to find are tomes/libraries of ancient magic, tombs/vaults sealing in evil characters like liches and shit, sites useful for particular rituals, hidden cities of populations with powerful races, ancient buildings that do amazing stuff, usually these are buildings actually made by previous societies rather than just spawned randomly, rare magical creatures to tame and breed, and so forth.

Finding and exploring these sites will require various "adventuring skills", special equipment, magical capabilities for various purposes including fighting, knowledge of ancient cultures/languages/histories, and so forth. Any character can Explore but obviously poorly prepared or trained ones would run into trouble a lot.

King Of Dragon Pass+Dominions 5+Academagia or something would be a good way to describe it using existing games to help people visualize what would happen.

The basic version of this is already in the code from back in 2015 but not the multi-stage stuff.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Looks interesting, care to share a couple of screenshots?

There are screenshots in the strat/sim forum thread. I haven't swapped from the default UI themes yet though or swapped in textures instead of strings for buttons. Gonna do a video at the end of March.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I've been writing all the code, and refactoring some of the relevant classes, to enable Dynamically Generated Resources. So every game will have the pre-defined stuff, probably a couple hundred resources based on real crops, metals, woods, etc. But each world generated will have somewhere from 400-1000 DGR with random properties. Metal that conducts mana/magic really well for enchantments, crystal that contains a large amount of mana compared to most resources, something that burns better than coal, blah blah blah. You get it.

This not only is important for the economic aspect of the game but for items for the military or the individual characters. Awesome staff/focus for pyromancer, super tough enchanted armor for some melee fighter, super powerful bows that fire magic arrows and shit. W/e. Basically this is the RPG part of the economic resource system. I based my system on my old MMO from years and years ago. Fantasy sandbox mmo, cooperative PVE only, all player crafted tiems. And getting cool items from monsters and getting random resources with unique properties. Then combine with the Majesty1+++ fantasy citybuilder RPG I made based on GlestAE.

This code is pretty difficult to implement, although the actual design was done back on the MMO so that makes it a lot easier cause I already know all my goals. Most problematic thing is generating names and icons for the resources.

You can also craft non-combat stuff. Scrying orbs, terraforming/weather control, magic airships and shit.

Hopefully I get most of the basic stuff done this week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom