Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead by Daylight: Alien

dead by daylight: chase the cripple - the game.
i've rarely seen something more retarded than this, many of the games revolve walking, WALKING, around a table being chased at snail speed by an enemy which is just barely faster than you.
no idea how they can pull off the same idiotic gameplay with the alien which is supposed to be extremely fast.

Terra

Cipher
DBD is a lot of fun, has a nice simple yet satisfying gameplay loop that has you keep coming back for more, it can be quite addictive and has claimed most of my gaming time over the past year. You won't find any other game that has such a broad crossover of horror genre staples, either. Additionally there is a loud, noisy, LGBT contingent among the fanbase so most codexers should feel right at home.

Machocruz

Arcane
dead by daylight: chase the cripple - the game.
i've rarely seen something more retarded than this, many of the games revolve walking, WALKING, around a table being chased at snail speed by an enemy which is just barely faster than you.
no idea how they can pull off the same idiotic gameplay with the alien which is supposed to be extremely fast.
The original version of the creature was not shown to be fast at all, it was more of an ambush predator. They can go with that angle. The ones in Aliens weren't what I'd call extremely fast either, not compared to 3, Covenant, and Isolation, but yeah they'd easily run down the slow ass DBD characters.

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
His ability is that he can quickly traverse the map through a set of tunnels underneath. That charges his main power where he drops on all fours and gains a special ranged attack with his tail. Additionally the survivors can set up flamethrower turrets that knock him out of that power.

Hidden Pursuit

A series of tunnels become available on the map when the Xenomorph is in play. By accessing a Control Station, it can enter these tunnels to quickly move around the map, detect the presence of nearby Survivors, and speed up the cooldown time of its Runner Mode ability. Exiting a Control Station tags nearby Survivors with Killer Instinct.

Special Ability: Runner Mode

The Xenomorph enters Runner Mode automatically when not on cooldown. In Runner Mode, the Xenomorph walks on four legs and becomes stealthier, reducing its Terror Radius. While in Runner Mode the Xenomorph also has access to a brutal Tail Attack.

Map Feature: Control Stations

Seven Control Stations are scattered across the map. Survivors can interact with these stations to get a Remote Flame Turret, while the Xenomorph can enter and exit the tunnels underneath the Control Stations.

Special Item: Remote Flame Turret

Turrets can be placed in the map to counteract the Xenomorph. When the Xenomorph enters the radius and line of sight of a Turret, the Turret attacks; this attack staggers the Xenomorph and will cause Runner Mode to end. If a Turret successfully knocks the Xenomorph out of Runner Mode or fires for too long, it overheats, and must be repaired by a Survivor. The Xenomorph can attack Turrets to destroy them.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
DBD is a lot of fun, has a nice simple yet satisfying gameplay loop that has you keep coming back for more, it can be quite addictive and has claimed most of my gaming time over the past year. You won't find any other game that has such a broad crossover of horror genre staples, either. Additionally there is a loud, noisy, LGBT contingent among the fanbase so most codexers should feel right at home.

How sweaty is it or can it be played casually? It's the kind of game that looks like it could be a lot of fun for a few casual matches here and there, but every time I look at the forums I see people discussing tactics and shit like it's some sweaty FPS.

Terra

Cipher

How sweaty is it or can it be played casually? It's the kind of game that looks like it could be a lot of fun for a few casual matches here and there, but every time I look at the forums I see people discussing tactics and shit like it's some sweaty FPS.
It can get extremely sweaty, with people far more invested than the game deserves and due to the game's RNG maps and some killers just being flat out better, you can get some absolute stomps from both sides. On the survivor side of things, people can play in up to groups of 4 (optionally in comms via Discord) and a good team in comms can severely stack the deck against the killer due to co-ordination & callouts. While the game is fun, it is hard to recommend unless you are willing to commit to the long haul. You will start out in baby matchmaking ranks for a time but once you're out of there the pendulum swings from super casual all the way up to super sweaty.

There aren't really any transferrable skills from other games that you bring into this one (aside from if you played hide & seek as a child, I guess) and you'll see some pretty high playtimes quoted that you must reach to "get good" at the game (into the thousands of hours) and despite how the game may look, these numbers aren't pulled out of thin air.

Endgame chat will also be full of brainlets with a fractional number of hours who think they know how to play better than others with thousands, thanks to the game's matchmaking being all sorts of busted, you'll be teamed up with one of these chatty, useless dipshits every once so often which will have you questioning how they make it through the day, stunted as they are. In theory, if you just play casually you should not match with the better & sweatier opponents, but that's often not how things work as the matchmaking ranking "window" of siimiliarly skilled teammates & opponents expands quickly to keep queue times down.

Best advice is if you have any interest is to probably wait till a free weekend, there will probably be one when the Alien content releases then you can try it out for free for a while. Lots of the community is toxic to the extent it'd put the Codex's best to shame, endgame chat can be a cesspool but eh, you can close the chat so you don't have to suffer their retardation.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I wish they would theme the hooking for this one, because it will be weird as shit if the xenomorph starts offering victims to Cthulhu. There's really no reason why the xenomorph can't put the survivor in a nest or something where they are being infected by facehuggers, but they haven't done anything similar for any of the previous killers.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I played this for a bit a couple years ago but I decided that I didn't want to invest the time necessary to git gud. I also didn't like the game balance. IMO a horror game should be heavily biased in favor of the killer and getting out at all should be the exception, not the rule. Otherwise the horror element gets reduced to a Benny Hill skit (Benny Hill should be added as a survivor at some point IMO).

I also played killer exclusively. Playing survivor = cuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom