Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bastard Bonds - fabulous fast-paced tactical RPG with high-end pixel art

Since the african warlord covered this game, I've read in the comment section that the creator is actually thinking about releasing a build for gog. Well it's about time and it would be a great idea. Any news on that? I know he has posted in the thread before but I doubt he is active anymore.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I just completed this. I wish game devs were not so stupid because I think there's a good game hidden behind this level scaled crap, that the game lets you choose between two equally shit options just makes it more stupid to me. Adding an option to play without level scaling might be easy to do if anyone cares about asking the dev though although if he's like the devs of Tenderfoot Tactics then he probably thinks games with level scaling are better and won't give a shit.

All things considered the mercenary stuff was boring busy work to me, although it's not all bad. I like that I think you can recruit most enemies, and that you need someone who's be able to communicate with the said monster. I don't think anybody in my party can talk with undeads (necromancer don't) so I don't know if any can or not but I'm fine with not knowning. I also like that the story characters are organically integrated, I'm almost certain I missed quite ones as sometimes they seem to disappear if you can't recruit them directly. However the big problem to me was the manpower thing which makes you take each character for one or two missions once in a while to upgrade its labour stat, that's just super boring. And I think you can't completely ignore it either as I think it's mandatory that you control 20 characters at some point. Items are named so they're not boring to me although mechanically they're not that deep and you can combine two same weapons into a stronger one which I don't like, but once again at least it's named. They're some strong accessories which feel like finding some rare relic when you find them. Pathfining is awful, combat system is simple, status changes don't matter. Enemies always attack your closest character no matter what, I let you judge if you like that or not.

However overall I think combat is fun enough, I like the risk system. One hilarious thing is when one of your character dies then your other characters insult him. Besides I thought the dungeons were overall very good. I like the atmospheric texts when exploring some dungeons. I like the variety between forest or cliff parts which feel right and give the right pacing and actual locations which range from small farms to fortresses and plenty which feel very unique like a horror ghost town which starts weird as you can briefly distinguish ghosts where you first light lanterns, the right character unlocking a shortcut to a boss, some endless mine, a ghostly (but with a very different vibe) library and plenty of other cool dungeons I can't think of at the moment. You can sell quest items but I really don't think it can lock you out of winning the game which is the perfect compromise to me. There're tons of things (we're talking of more than 20 maps I think) I have not solved in the game because I did not own the right item or the right character with me sometimes, which is perfectly fine, but also quite some other ones because I missed a spot of interest or could not figure out a riddle or puzzle. The combat system is not but the overall game is still ambitious in my opinion. The way you unlock the path to the end is very cool with the right hints from your quartermaster about where to go.

I totally got my P&P-like exploration feel and pacing from this game, I thought the game was miles above average on that front.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom