Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good 2d shoot-em-ups?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A question to you guys: how do you perfer to control your shmups? I've been playing Tyrian and I find it impossible to play unless you use a mouse. You have to be so fast and precise, that a controller or keyboard does not suffice.

Jamestown is quite good with a controller, but a mouse is also a better choice there.
Mouse controls? Most shmups don't support mouse control to begin with, as most shmups are balanced around fixed movement speeds whereas fluid mouse input requires your ship being able to dash around the screen at a moment's notice.
You're better off playing with keyboard or an arcade stick.
I don't see how mouse control is a problem. The ship you control has a fixed movement speed, mouse control or not, and you just move the ship with your mouse. If Tyrian managed to implement mouse control, I'm sure all shmups can manage it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A question to you guys: how do you perfer to control your shmups? I've been playing Tyrian and I find it impossible to play unless you use a mouse. You have to be so fast and precise, that a controller or keyboard does not suffice.

Jamestown is quite good with a controller, but a mouse is also a better choice there.
Mouse controls? Most shmups don't support mouse control to begin with, as most shmups are balanced around fixed movement speeds whereas fluid mouse input requires your ship being able to dash around the screen at a moment's notice.
You're better off playing with keyboard or an arcade stick.
I don't see how mouse control is a problem. The ship you control has a fixed movement speed, mouse control or not, and you just move the ship with your mouse.
I was assuming it worked similarly to how touch controls work for mobile shmups, as I don't think you can constantly turn left with mouse controls without repeatedly swiping it left as opposed to holding down the left movement button on a D-pad or joystick.

If Tyrian managed to implement mouse control, I'm sure all shmups can manage it.
The only other shmup I know of that does this is the PC port for Ikaruga. I have yet to see any shmups with mouse controls aside from that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mouse control on shmups, lol. Just, why.

Just start with the classics bro. There's plenty on MAME for you to goof around with. I've been introduced to shmups by a childhood friend a couple years ago and i'm now at a point where i can almost 1cc stuff like the first DoDonPachi, which is not bad for an old man.

DoDonPachi, Ketsui, Battle Garegga, all the classics work fine on MAME and i don't see the point going after all the obscure indies without checking the originals first. And yeah they are hard as shit but that's the point. Stop being a figgit and git gud.

I use an arcade stick for shmups - some people play really well with a pad, so personal preference is fine - even the keyboard is fine if it can parse multiple inputs at once. Forget about the mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom