Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

agris just isn't into Bethesda-style RPGs like Fallout: New Vegas

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can complete that game almost fully in stealth with 0 kills.
Same is true for New Vegas which doesn't actually force you into any kind of boss fight (which AP does).

Latelistener

Arcane
You can complete that game almost fully in stealth with 0 kills.
Same is true for New Vegas which doesn't actually force you into any kind of boss fight (which AP does).
Bosses in AP actually do not count towards the kill meter, but plot-wise yes, they are dead and killed by you (unless you spared them in a dialogue). Even if you take them out with a tranquilizer, the game doesn't differentiate.

New Vegas is a different design school. I'm not sure they are comparable. There aren't any non-lethal ways to disable NPCs or animals. At best you could run from them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
New Vegas is a different design school. I'm not sure they are comparable. There aren't any non-lethal ways to disable NPCs or animals. At best you could run from them.
Not so, you actually can knock people out. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Fallout:_New_Vegas_non-lethal_weapons_and_ammunition

Though the time they spend knocked out is very small, just 30 seconds. Gotta move quick if that's what you're doing. (and of course there's a mod that alters this https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/78111)

Latelistener

Arcane
Not so, you actually can knock people out. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Fallout:_New_Vegas_non-lethal_weapons_and_ammunition

Though the time they spend knocked out is very small, just 30 seconds. Gotta move quick if that's what you're doing. (and of course there's a mod that alters this https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/78111)
Perhaps, but it's not an intended way to play New Vegas. Even if you play as a pacifist, there are just a lot of faction-neutral bandits and animals to deal with.

I remember Lonesome Road was especially bad in this regard due to a crazy amount of tunnelers.

Alpha Protocol is not just playable in stealth. It's the easiest way to complete the game due to OP Shadow Operative skill.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Perhaps, but it's not an intended way to play New Vegas. Even if you play as a pacifist, there are just a lot of faction-neutral bandits and animals to deal with.
Stealth Boy/Speech Boy are both pillars starting with the first game. You can't be a Brave Diplomat as Andhaira called it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I guess infinitron or roguey created this thread to further shill obsidian

yeah agris isnt into FNV (a parody of Fallout), just like any sane person

Just Locus

Educated
Stat scaling isn't the worst thing in action RPG as long as it isn't overly strong. Most players don't even realize Warband enemies stats scale to your level for example. That is until they cheat or play forever such that they hit level 63+ and their level overflows up to 65 thousand and suddenly the enemies can tank several hits and hit you hard.
Morrowind's level scaling only applies to enemies you meet on the road but it's so subtle that players have gone on record claiming the game doesn't have any level-scaling period.

[...] and feeds the compulsive tendencies of gamers
Show me on the doll where F:NV forced you to loot all those misc—containers.
If you keep looting these useless containers despite knowing better then it's not on the game, a modicum of self-control usually fixes this issue.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind's level scaling only applies to enemies you meet on the road but it's so subtle that players have gone on record claiming the game doesn't have any level-scaling period.

Morrowind level scaling includes only wandering monsters IIRC, it really does feel like there is no level scaling in the game because 99% of everything is hand placed

Oblivion, Skyrim, Prey have level scaling that is 100x worse

laclongquan

Arcane
I am unsure what's anybody want to prove by talking about New Vegas and stealth gameplay.

You can do stealth. Either the auto way by getting stealthboy on (which add 100 to skill as well as an invisible field). Or use various equipments, boost items, levelup, perks, to up stealth skill to 100. And 100 is not guaranteed to escaping detection: lots of sniffer hostiles are very perceptive and you can get discovered just by jumping and bumping into something.

You also dont have to kill generic hostiles. When getting detected (even with invis field), just run away to a far corner out of their sight and crouch for a while. So taking out (nonlethal) hostile doesnt really matter with generics. Although there's some boss you have to kill in main quest. Like Mr House's assassination in certain routes etc...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This conversation started in a Pentiment thread.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Oh yeah, forgot this game existed. Was it as bad as every other Obsidian game or just as bad as every other modern game?
its unironically their best game since alpha brotocol, only it's not (edit: really) a game

That would be NV, since it is their best game
sorry man, some of us just aren't into bethesda-style quest compass-led gameplay, level scaling, and skinner box crafting
Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind.

9ted6

Educated
FO3 and NV have alot of potential but they always find a way to fuck it up. There'll be a cool story idea or fun gameplay element but they'll add in two more retarded story beats or gameplay bugs to drag it down. I can't tell if it's incompetence, ignorance or they just didn't care.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

This conversation started in a Pentiment thread.

of course it did

anything related to soyer or obsidian gets insta promoted here by you faggots

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom