Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > I love you, mother

Tweed
Tweed
"Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare." - C.S. Lewis
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
I mean there's a reason The Island of Dr. Moreau was a horror story. I'd say there are ways to make the concept a bit less horrorshow but it's always going to have a weird cache to it (moreso with the advent of furries as a known thing)
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
There's also the matter of "why are there people with animal heads in this world" which is not something most people who indulge in this ever bother coming up with an interesting explanation for, it's just "they're people, but animal people because reasons"
Zombra
Zombra
Well - now you're just getting picky to be a jerk. Obviously it's an aesthetic and not scientifically explainable. What's next? You complain to Picasso that he forgot to make his paintings photorealistic?
rusty_shackleford
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
If it's an aesthetic they usually don't explain why they went with it, that's the thing. It's not like "we made this character who gets unfairly blamed for everything an anthropomorphic goat because scapegoat", it's just "yeah this character's a thing and don't put too much thought into it because I sure didn't"
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
I'm not against arbitrary stylistic choices necessarily because it ain't my show or anything but with the "cache" (for lack of a better term) that anthropomorphics tend to have it gets weird sometimes
Zombra
Zombra
If you insist on literalistic explanations for every aspect of art, you missed the point. Stick more to feelings and less to dictionaries.
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
It doesn't have to be literalistic, sometimes you can do things like use a character based on a "prey" species to subtly signify someone who is a victim of something, or subvert an expectation by having a maligned species like a rat be an outspoken hero character, it just looks to me like a lot of "furry" stuff is artless and/or fetish fuel
Zombra
Zombra
Shitty Kitty's Shitty Rules of Subtext. Obey my Rules!!
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
I ain't enforcing anything but I'm not gonna pretend cartoon animals make anything high art in my eyes, seen too much evidence to the contrary
Zombra
Zombra
But it would be art if it "explained" itself, because that's what art has to do. Got it.
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
A joke that only you get doesn't make for a long comedy career, just saying
Zombra
Zombra
Lowest common denominator = big bucks. Got it. I'm learning so much!
Shitty Kitty
Shitty Kitty
Cool, glad we had this talk
DraQ
DraQ
Strongly depends on the anthro art in question.
DraQ
DraQ
rusty_shackleford
"furry community is a prime example of what happens when you let anyone in and have zero gatekeeping. It ends up being associated with the most degenerate people you can imagine."

It's funny how perfectly it describes the Codex as well.
DraQ
DraQ
The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.

(Ambiguity intended)
DraQ
DraQ
I prefer thought out furries that are genuinely meant to be an integral part of the setting to symbolic/allegoric furries.
DraQ
DraQ
Most anime don't have integral parts. They are just kitchen sinks of random crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom