Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Sentinel

Arcane
Lol, you are insane if you think the combat is janky, it's amazing. My only problem with it is those dudes that have red/blue attacks, there is not enough time to respond to them on higher difficulties, but otherwise it's a glorious combat system.
Lol wtf. The games combat is smooth but is completely brain-dead and gets old 3 hours in. How the fuck do you call this combat amazing? Play some real videogames nigga.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Lol, you are insane if you think the combat is janky, it's amazing. My only problem with it is those dudes that have red/blue attacks, there is not enough time to respond to them on higher difficulties, but otherwise it's a glorious combat system.
Lol wtf. The games combat is smooth but is completely brain-dead and gets old 3 hours in. How the fuck do you call this combat amazing? Play some real videogames nigga.
The entire thing is a honorabu samurai powa fantasy after all.

Jinn

Arcane
For those who have and are playing this, any chance of mods making this a much better game in the future? Better difficulty mode, removing some of the consolitis, etc?

This is the kind of retard that encourages shitty studios to make Souls-like games. Oh, I need something new constantly, how about a new Boss that has 2,000,000 hitpoints and can kill my entire family with one fart? Please developers, make it happen, tell me which hoops I have to jump through to beat this thing! I like obeying orders like a dog.

Ash

Arcane
For those who have and are playing this, any chance of mods making this a much better game in the future? Better difficulty mode, removing some of the consolitis, etc?

If anything the game needs more "consolitus", e.g some non-braindead difficulty like console games used to.

The game suffers from modern commercialized design suitable for mediocre PC and console gamers both. I wish it were console design, if we're talking 90s goodness.

Porky said:
This is the kind of retard that encourages shitty studios to make Souls-like games.

95% of games used to be challenging, PC, console or handheld, back in the day, and often more so than any Souls game. It's a silly conclusion, not to mention strawman, to jump to assumptions about desiring From Software's particular approach to game design.
No matter what, challenge and engagement will always be better and more meaningful than little to none. Let me put this in terms I know you will understand: if you were really a 14th century samurai, the experience would be brutal as fuck. If the difficulty is easy, it undermines the entire experience it is trying to convey; the combat, the desperation in the story, the atmosphere, the death and destruction all around you, the sense of realism. Instead it's popamole that contradicts all that.

Not wanting the gameplay to be anything but a button mashing braindead power trip for 100 hours is peak mediocre adult gamer.

Ash

Arcane
I'm talking 90s console and PC gaming, primarily. 80s Arcade design was indeed needlessly brutal as a business decision more than anything.

deama

Prophet
It'd be interesting if this game had like a VATS system for the boomers. Then you could just target some baddies, and roll some dice like the good old days.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm talking 90s console and PC gaming, primarily. 80s Arcade design was indeed needlessly brutal as a business decision more than anything.
After some thought I removed the cope reaction. You are partially right. But the extreme 4 hard 5 me type of games were never really mainstream and this game doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Stop doing drugs, Ash. This game on harder difficulties is hard af, in a good way. You don't have to use cheat mode, ie assassinations or bombs, just fight people straight up and it's brutal on Hard/Lethal.

Ash

Arcane
It'd be interesting if this game had like a VATS system for the boomers. Then you could just target some baddies, and roll some dice like the good old days.

The strawmen fallacies could not get any more pronounced.

Stop doing drugs, Ash. This game on harder difficulties is hard af, in a good way. You don't have to use cheat mode, ie assassinations or bombs, just fight people straight up and it's brutal on Hard/Lethal.

As I mentioned in my review, I abstained from getting the OP upgrades and wore the weakest armor (traveller's attire) for the entire game, only switching to the better armor for some of the harder duels (which is 1% of the game). Game is still piss easy popamole, though better than most popamole in that regard.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

This is the kind of retard that encourages shitty studios to make Souls-like games. Oh, I need something new constantly, how about a new Boss that has 2,000,000 hitpoints and can kill my entire family with one fart? Please developers, make it happen, tell me which hoops I have to jump through to beat this thing! I like obeying orders like a dog.
What? But I dislike every souls game after Dark Souls 1.

GoT combat is shit because there's 5 enemy types - shield, dual sword, spear, sword, armored, bow niggas (am i forgetting anyone?), providing very little variety. It's shit because the AI falls into a repetitive behaviour where it will force-dodge/block any attack after your 3-string combo, and once you realize this, it's over - the illusion of dynamic combat is completely gone, you know that once you mash square 3 times it's time to go on the defensive because the AI will block your next attack, and the repetitiveness starts being aggravating. It's shit because from the outset half your moveset is worthless, and the more upgrades you get the more irrelevant they become as new moves provide insane powercreep. It's shit because a big feature of combat (the stances) are effectively irrelevant.

Shit combat can still be enjoyable for a while but it falls apart once the honeymoon period illusion is gone.

If you enjoy it you enjoy it (try the new assassins creed you might like them) but damn don't call it great. It's lazy and clearly not the focus of the game. (can't believe you're the same retard that shits on rdr2's combat and praises this lol)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The problem, as with all these RPG-lite games, is that you very quickly outgrow the difficulty curve.

What? But I dislike every souls game after Dark Souls 1.

GoT combat is shit because there's 5 enemy types - shield, dual sword, spear, sword, armored, bow niggas (am i forgetting anyone?), providing very little variety. It's shit because the AI falls into a repetitive behaviour where it will force-dodge/block any attack after your 3-string combo, and once you realize this, it's over - the illusion of dynamic combat is completely gone, you know that once you mash square 3 times it's time to go on the defensive because the AI will block your next attack, and the repetitiveness starts being aggravating. It's shit because from the outset half your moveset is worthless, and the more upgrades you get the more irrelevant they become as new moves provide insane powercreep. It's shit because a big feature of combat (the stances) are effectively irrelevant.

Shit combat can still be enjoyable for a while but it falls apart once the honeymoon period illusion is gone.

If you enjoy it you enjoy it (try the new assassins creed you might like them) but damn don't call it great. It's lazy and clearly not the focus of the game. (can't believe you're the same retard that shits on rdr2's combat and praises this lol)

What you say doesn't make any sense at all. You attack the enemy multiple times and they start defending, and this is bad somehow? This is how real combat works. Why should they let you attack them nonstop? Real combat is always about defending and attacking together. Sounds like you just want some LMB clickfest where you can run around killing shit at will like a moron.

Repetitive behavior? WTF does this even mean? All game combat is repetitive in some sense, they have a ton of animations in GoT to keep it fresh, and most fights you are dealing with so many enemies at once that the actual fight sequences are very dynamic and different. Stop trying to hard.

Don't suggest to me what games to try, you young nitwit, I already played and completed 100 times more games than you can even imagine. And if you don't understand why RDR2 combat is shit and GoT combat is praised everywhere, then get a lobotomy first before you work up the nerve to argue with me.

The problem, as with all these RPG-lite games, is that you very quickly outgrow the difficulty curve.

No you don't. Stay away from the cheese, and play on higher difficulties and fights stay hard throughout the game.

Ash

Arcane
After some thought I removed the cope reaction. You are partially right. But the extreme 4 hard 5 me type of games were never really mainstream and this game doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Thanks bro. No partial, I am just right. SNES, Genesis, PS1, PC, Gameboy, Sega Saturn, it did not matter. Mainstream games were tough, especially console ones! They almost always met a bare minimum respectable level of engagement, it is a shame this is becoming lost knowledge.
PC gaming core difficulty was often ruined by lame saving, but made up for it in other ways with complex interactions and systems that expected you to investigate, deduce and use your brain. So those count too.

Challenging was the standard, and it should always be the standard. The opposite of that is dumb garbage that not only does not engage the brain and is a waste of time, but also often undermines the story/atmosphere/immersion as I explained above. But lets not get too sidetracked as challenge is far from this game's only problem.

I also don't want to be too hard on it either. As far as popamole goes this is one of the better examples. Especially the UI and not having objective markers etc everywhere. Fog of war on the map is a big one too to make exploration at least somewhat not so stupid. this is one of the better modern AAA popamoles out there for sure, but that is obviously not saying much.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What I'm saying is it doesn't take a lot to break the difficulty, considering they're one of the first upgrades you get.

Ash

Arcane
"always"

By modern gaming standards, yes. Throwables in Thief (1998) and Tenchu (1998), well they could be OP. but you were very limited in what you could carry to curb that. Tenchu Kunai equivalent (shurikens) dealt a miniscule amount of damage and required manual aiming with target leading on top of that.
Throwables in Shadow Warrior (1997) and Ninja Gaiden (2004) were not in the slightest OP. Shuriken is probably the worst item in both games.

In GoT, you can carry an absolute horde of OP projectiles, and have chain instakill abilities on top of that. Completely ruins any value the combat could have had. These are precisely what I abstained from upgrading in the skill tree and I advise you do the same. Maybe one capacity upgrade each, but go no further.

That's the case with every game. In Elden Ring, you can summon other players or NPCs to fight bosses, or get some blood weapon art that 2 hits a boss. If you want to break a game, it's not hard. If you want to have a good experience, stick to swordplay in GoT.

Spike

Educated
The average PC gamer proving they too have zero standards:

https://store.steampowered.com/charts/topselling/US

#1 in steam sales charts, and overtook God[awful] of War as the best-selling PS port.

People are talking about about mass murder of all AAA devs in another thread here. Nah, if we're going that far in hypotheticals then we should start with 90% of gamers too. Yes game devs are shameless sellouts and the onus of this industry's integrity or lack thereof is on them (and the people above them), yet if adult gamers weren't so mediocre the necessity to make mediocre games wouldn't exist. Adult gamers constantly fap over worthless braindead zero substance games old and new, it's disappointing. This hobby used to be magical.
There's that famous Ash hyperbole!

Ash

Arcane
If you had the gaming career I have had, you'd know it to be true. :(

ADL

Prophet
I had to lower from lethal to hard because it was 'bullshit hard' in some missions such as the one where you're on the ships looking for food. I'm upping and lowering the difficulty depending on the mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom