Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Afro Samurai in late Sengoku period Japan - coming November 15th

Elttharion

Learned
yasuke-doesnt-make-sense-as-an-assassin-for-the-new-game-v0-kyQTtUPh3_FkilUNyPy_jPRYGEWLOm_CssVx3VS3zLo.jpg

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Comments on the youtube reveal trailer page are GOLD:

"Guards in Assassins Creed Shadows be like: “Hey where’d that 6’5 black man go? Excuse me suspicious black stranger sitting on a bench. Have you seen the only black guy in Japan?”Yasuke: “Sorry, I haven’t.”"
Stupid thing to say about AC of all games lol. A black person in Japan is way less alerting than a man who supposed to be this extremely sneaky assassin, with a white and red hood over head walking casually through Venice.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
A black person in Japan is way less alerting
:nocountryforshitposters:
What are you more likely to run from person with a weapon and a hood or someone who is just sitting there. Realistically they would've be curious of the black person, treating it as something bizarre/exotic or maybe as a pet, just like the original character was probably treated as. Far from being a real samurai.

Btw AC fans totally deserve being fed this garbage and garbage games, buying the 56th iteration of walking for hours behind random historical character just to have some kind of entertainment lol.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah like I said, certain games have a... smell to them. You get a whiff a mile away and you can tell what it is.

Incoming massive and hilarious failure. I never understand people who defend Ubisoft in any way. It's a megacorp with 20k employees in 2023.

You think megacorps have your interests at heart? You think megacorps are doing social good?

1. Go there
2. Boring cutscene
3. Follow person
4. Boring combat
5. Boring cutscene
Go back to 1.

Oh shit, they're BioWare RPGs!

Elttharion

Learned
One of their 'Japanese' expert consultants

r9nl0n4b9t0d1.png

More of her work:

Yoshitsune and the Gendered Transformations of Japan's Self-Imag
The Erotic Family: Structures and Narratives of Milk Kinship in Premodern Japanese Tales
The New Lady-in-Waiting Is a Chigo: Sexual Fluidity and Dual Transvestism in a Medieval Acolyte Tale
Non-Binary Genders in the Genji, the New Chamberlain, and Beyond

EDUCATION​

• M.A. University of Washington, Seattle
  • PhD University of Washington, Seattle

sser

Arcane
Developer
Naturally, you wouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out the one responsible for massive club-shaped crushed heads and ribcages. So that strains believability. But it's also just kinda boring. It'd be a lot more interesting if the black guy was instead an obedient observer of local custom and culture, and was antagonistic to you for stirring up trouble. Imagine the tightrope foreigners had to walk in that age of Japan. Imagine anyone in that position committing violent subterfuge and assassinations. Imagine instead if you were an innocent foreigner and people started getting killed left and right, I'd actually want to find out who was doing it ASAP before someone accuses me of it. They should have put this guy after you just to preserve his own life. That would have been some nice story tension.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Naturally, you wouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out the one responsible for massive club-shaped crushed heads and ribcages. So that strains believability. But it's also just kinda boring. It'd be a lot more interesting if the black guy was instead an obedient observer of local custom and culture, and was antagonistic to you for stirring up trouble. Imagine the tightrope foreigners had to walk in that age of Japan. Imagine anyone in that position committing violent subterfuge and assassinations. Imagine instead if you were an innocent foreigner and people started getting killed left and right, I'd actually want to find out who was doing it ASAP before someone accuses me of it. They should have put this guy after you just to preserve his own life. That would have been some nice story tension.
basically nigga character quest in granado espada. some nigga murdering people and because there are not many of their kind in the new world nigga in my party is accused.
they really went "despite being only..." in that game btw. literally ONLY my party nigga is innocent. even his sister is assassin. and that other nigga we chasing is serial killer.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm not even a fan of Afro Samurai. It's from that ugly era of mid 2000s digital animation. But calling Shadows that is way too generous. Feudal-futuristic setting with hip hop and stylized fights was cool, as I recall. Black samurai also didn't feel like part of some agenda. Been many years since I watched it.
You retarded niggers are still going to play it and then muse lazily why it isn't good right here on the Dex.
Assassin's Creed is a total nothing series for me. Played through 1, 2 and Brotherhood with my brother fifteen to thirteen years ago, found them all mediocre in all the ways that matter. Started III in 2013, didn't make it far. Played IV in 2016, only made it two hours because of the tedious structure, auto-parkour and counterintuitive fighting. Apparently played Revelations in 2012, but never finished and can't remember it at all.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
If you include the qualifier of having tolerable gameplay the number is 0
Sometimes I wonder how our standards got so high.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a game where you sail the entire Aegean and seamlessly attack, board, sink, and loot other ships, swim to shore, explore a town, run across the countryside, join a pitched battle of THE war of the classical era, battle an entire castle of guards, loot a dungeon, defeat a minotaur, attend a party with Pericles, then jump back on your ship with Herodotus the Goddamn Father of History and sail into the sunset. But it does have fairly humdrum combat (the mash counter to kill gameplay ended around Unity/Syndicate though).

I'm a sucker for open world games, but I was playing AC Odyssey and remarked how just kind of okay it was. Like, it's fine. Not great, not amazing. Just, fine. But on paper it easily should be the greatest game ever. If it came out ten years earlier it would have been declared best game of all time. If it came out 20 years earlier it would have defied belief.

MFer, I grew up playing this

In all my wildest dreams, I never would have imagined a game 1/100th as cool as AC Odyssey existing. And yet, it's just kind of a bland and soulless.

Maybe we should be happy we're so spoiled for choices we can scoff at games like this? Idk, some perspective on the relentless negativity around here. I haven't played anything after Odyssey and probably won't play Shadow, so whatever. You're not wrong, but I really think we take a lot of shit for granted.

Well, to quote Vavra (of KCD fame) from years ago, Odyssey (or Skyrim in his words, but Odyssey even more so) is like a really hot blonde bimbo. She's great looking, has a great bod, and at first glance, has everything for your manly needs. But if you spend time with her, you will realize she is really dumb, you can't talk about anything, she is probably sleeping around, and basically just a piece of meat. Odyssey has all the shallow stuff, but none of the complex, really interesting stuff.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It was probably only a matter of time before someone brought up Odyssey because it's one of the better games, like Black Flag. It's okay to admit you like it.

But for much as I thought Odyssey was good fun, and Alexios was a bro (gave me huge Kevin Sorbo Hercules vibes), the best of the game was probably the stupid funny writing and memes. The combat was bad and easily cheesed even on the highest difficulties, the naval part was dumbed down from Black Flag, the islands were samey, and the game was full of modern video game BS.

The game was saved by its feel-good atmosphere and some comedic writing, which if they even still had the writers, probably can't be replicated.

Plus, one look at this Shadows or whatever, and you can tell it's gonna be pure shit. Just the most disgusting, soulless corporate slop media you can possibly imagine.

Elttharion

Learned
If Ubisoft wasnt retarded they could have made the black dude a foreign templar working for the jesuits to infiltrate Japan. Oda could have been a rogue templar with some ultra powerful ancient weapons and Yasuke was sent to deceive him and recover them. The kunoichi would be an assassin that is also trying to stop Oda. You could choose which character to play and the other would be a rival/side character and possible final boss.

Yasuke could be a villain or antihero and his mission would be to destabilize Japan to weaken Oda and later Hideyoshi. I mean it would still be massively retarded and a shit corporate slop but whatever, its not like I would play it anyway.

Sometimes I wonder how our standards got so high.
hardware got so powerful, that's why. if i want an atari 2600 game, i play atari 2600. my computer is a billion times more powerful, i want a billion times more complex games, otherwise all this money i spent is gone to waste.

Gerrard

Arcane
The girl that's supposed to be Japanese doesn't even look Japanese, she looks like a mainland southeast Asian.

ind33d

Learned
how do you torture a catholic? force him to watch a black man standing in line at KFC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom