Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

Drakortha

Liturgist
HD remaster or not, it's still the only RE worth replaying in 2024 (besides OG PS1 trilogy ofc)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I prefer the HD version. And I'm one of those who got that shit at launch as a kid. Still, this version has some issues. Like music missing from certain areas, so I recommend searching mods fixing it:

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevilbiohazardhdremaster/mods/17

I think there's a mod for fixing the guest's house music, but I didn't find it on the nexus.

There's the REupscale project too that uses ERSGAN to upscale the backgrounds of the game, but I don't like it. It looks blurry.

Drakortha

Liturgist
And it will be a 3rd person shooter, of course. RE is now a cookie cutter 3rd/1st person franchise coming fresh out of the Crapcom factory..

If something hasn't been "re-imagined" like this yet, it will be. The cycle of all classic RE's getting RE4'ed must be completed.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Learned
If and when the 2026 Modern Audience remake arrives, words and phrases such as “dated“, “painfully slow”, “inferior” , “so cringe” and “it shucks” will be used to describe the 2002 remake (if they aren't already).

Machocruz

Arcane
Yes what was missing from RE1 was being part of the modern over-the-shoulder goulash. All must conform to what has been arbitrarily mandated as the thing to do, superior. Human ideas only get better with time, you know.

Odoryuk

Educated
If and when the 2026 Modern Audience remake arrives, words and phrases such as “dated“, “painfully slow”, “inferior” , “so cringe” and “it shucks” will be used to describe the 2002 remake (if they aren't already).
It's funny that I have met countless of young gamers online thinking that HD Remaster version that came out in 2015 was actually a game developed and released in 2015, which shows how good it aged since its actual release.

911 Jumper

Learned
It's funny that I have met countless of young gamers online thinking that HD Remaster version that came out in 2015 was actually a game developed and released in 2015, which shows how good it aged since its actual release.
Yep, those pre-rendered backgrounds really help it (and RE Zero) stand the test of time. The character models were very good, too, better than what companies such as Squaresoft and Konami were doing at the time. I never got to play RE Remake when it originally released, but I remember being amazed by all the magazine screenshots and preview videos.

Machocruz

Arcane
Can't wait to use the shield key on the shield door with modern perspective. "Modern" is a synonym for "good" and "better". It's what Capcom always envisioned but the technology wasn't there. Will be awesomesauce for people who never played RE1 before, as they don't have to learn an outdated control system. Learning things that are different from what you are used to is bs, it's unnecessary busywork. People already have to learn things at their job at the Amazon warehouse, they just want to relax after work with a chill game and some pizza rolls.

agris

Arcane
Patron

At this point, I am genuinely unaware of any official "remaster" effort in gaming that is actually better looking than the original product

I bet some modder could make a version which is "best of the both worlds", the original is a bit too "green-ish" to my taste at least in some areas.

The clock ticking in the remaster would drive me insane if I were actually playing it

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is peak decline of civilization. Remakes and remasters, remakes and remasters, remakes and remasters, remakes and remasters, remakes and remasters, remakes and remasters...

Capcom are just learning from Jeff Vogel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The remake of 2 was significantly superior so I tentatively support this.

mord

Novice
Capcom turned RE into yearly CoD schedules so gotta have multiple big teams on IP, I can see them working on all 3 games.
Resident Evil 7 2017
Resident Evil 7 2018 dlc
Resident Evil 2 2019
Resident Evil 3 2020
Resident Evil 8 2021
Resident Evil 8 2022 dlc
Resident Evil 4 2023
Resident Evil 4 2023 dlc (I guess 4 months too early for 2024)

Yes, if you're a fan of the new games we've been eating good..

Drakortha

Liturgist
Yes, if you're a fan of the new games we've been eating good..
The way I see it; if someone thinks the controls in the original RE were bad and that the camera perspective wasn't something noteworthy, guess what? They're not a RE fan. It's that simple. At most they are just a RE4 fan who wants every original RE game to be remade into RE4 over and over again because that's the only playstyle they care about.

resident%20evil%202%20we%20do%20it.jpg

I haven't forgot the message that Crapcom was telegraphing to us when they said "we're doing it". They made us all think they were actually doing the thing we'd all been asking for years for. But then somewhere along the way they got cold feet and decided to cater and pander to the RE4 crowd instead, letting the rest of us down who were actually waiting for a true follow up to the 1 remake. Well, we're still waiting Crapcom because you still haven't "done it".

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Resident Evil 2 Remake is very different from Resident Evil 4 though. More emphasis on ressource management, open and intersecting level design, puzzles, key/code hunting, avoidance of enemies

Resident Evil 4 is not all of that simply said. Its an action game with horror elements and Resident Evil callbacks.

I dont get the obsession with tank controls. Yeah they added to the claustrophobic feel and added tension, but you can achieve all that with other gameplay tools too. I think RE2R managed to pull that off quite decently. Only think i disliked was the dynamic loot scaling.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Resident Evil 2 Remake is very different from Resident Evil 4 though. More emphasis on ressource management, open and intersecting level design, puzzles, key/code hunting, avoidance of enemies
It's not good enough. It's boring to look at and it's boring to play. Why? because it still looks and plays like RE4 and almost every other 3rd person shooter in its moment to moment gameplay. Crapcom did this to make it familiar to most gamers so that it's more accessible to a wider audience. Does that sound like a good thing to you? In a gaming era where 3rd person perspective games are a dime a dozen, this just comes off as unoriginal.

The level design, puzzles, and resource management aspects are fine but it isn't enough to justify what's been lost here. I waited a long time for that game and I expected something a lot more artistic and memorable. Having finished the game a few years ago the most I can remember is one camera angle pointed up Leon's ass for 12 hours. It does not leave a lasting impression on my memory like the imagery that the fixed camera's did, where you would remember specific rooms and scenes and the atmosphere each one gave you. That's all gone now and that is a huge loss that is much bigger than most seem to realize.

I dont get the obsession with tank controls.
It's not an obsession with tank controls. It's wanting the old camera perspective and style of play that many of us enjoyed back in the day. That was what Resident Evil was to a lot of us and we were hoping it would make a return with the new remakes but Crapcom sadly didn't want to take the risk of alienating RE4 & action game fans.

When something gets remade we want to re-experience that thing again while getting new content along with it. The first remake on the gamecube already set a great benchmark and we wanted a follow up to that masterpiece of a remake. But all Crapcom is capable of doing is copy & pasting stale 3rd person gameplay onto the games we loved and then calling it a re-imagining. It's a marketing buzzword they only started to use after they decided they didn't give a shit about fans of the originals anymore. How badly they did the RE3 Remake is proof of that.

Being pursued by the Nemesis and trying to dodge him in 3rd person while he was coming up behind me where he couldn't be seen was the worst kind of gameplay anyone could have hoped for. Talk about clumsy camera and controls. And these RE4 fans like to say tank controls were bad. Give me a break! If there's anyone obsessed with anything it's RE4 fans being obsessed with 3rd person and Leon's ass. I don't understand how they're not bored with it yet. They must be obsessed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom