Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I never let any of my toons go burst because you tend to knock off civilians or your own buddies. Single shots for every one! Even Sulik gets a .223 pistol.

Fucking Sulik. Don't stand behind me, asshole! :lol:
It could have been Marcus with a Bozar...
Laser Rifle for Marcus.
You can also get a Plasma Rifle from Sierra Army Base which you can then upgrade in New Reno.
I know you are just kidding, you don't give your companions Burst weapons...
My toon has danced to the rhythm of lead too many times...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I forgot how fun burst builds are. Who needs aimed shots when you can just gib a rad scorpion with a single SMG burst. Chews through ammo though.
Cleared Junktown and killed Gizmo. Or rather the dog killed Gizmo with a crit.
Also killed Doc Morbid after I killed his guards when I didn't want to pay his exam fee. Pretty easy fight and you get so much loot. I went from dirt poor to 2k caps instantly.
Then I stole from Killian to get even more money, and he doesn't even know.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
In between revisiting Path of Achra(just left early access btw) i have just completed the original Halo: Combat Evolved using Xemu emulator with a gamepad.
xemuSb9sfLu1rP.png

Level design is indeed not very good with the Library and it's neverending copypasted corridors and constant hordes of Flood teleporting out of nowhere being the worst offender.
PewPew-ing aliens on the other hand feels great. I love how expressive the Covenant is with Grunts getting batshit scared if you're killing their squadmates or Elites getting angry when you destroy their shields or laughing if they manage to get Master Chief. Also noticed that their AI is smart enough to know how to use any avaliable cover, to flank you or throw a plasma grenade if you're trying to camp them behind a door. Fighting them is a joy.
It's also one of those games where i actually didn't mind having AI companions. With the exception of that mission where you need to protect admiral "i love standing in front of Needlers" Keyes i never felt that marines were a hindrance or anything. Quite the opposite, they were quite helpful in those missions where you're fighting together and i usually tried to keep them alive if i could. I also like how they're doing a little "Hooray!" each time you're jumping on a warthog.

Is it a great game? - Yep, i think it is.
Would i have bought the original XBox in the early 2000s if i could just so i could play Halo? - No, i doubt it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I forgot how fun burst builds are. Who needs aimed shots when you can just gib a rad scorpion with a single SMG burst. Chews through ammo though.
Cleared Junktown and killed Gizmo. Or rather the dog killed Gizmo with a crit.
Also killed Doc Morbid after I killed his guards when I didn't want to pay his exam fee. Pretty easy fight and you get so much loot. I went from dirt poor to 2k caps instantly.
Then I stole from Killian to get even more money, and he doesn't even know.
Minigun go BRRRRRRRRRRR.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Seems there's a bug with Fixt where if you kill the Skulz at the hotel it aggros junktown. Thing is though is that I'm not getting the event where they attack the barkeep because they start attacking me. Fortunately the bug doesn't happen if you get attacked at the bar, but still.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Seems there's a bug with Fixt where if you kill the Skulz at the hotel it aggros junktown. Thing is though is that I'm not getting the event where they attack the barkeep because they start attacking me. Fortunately the bug doesn't happen if you get attacked at the bar, but still.
Yeah, I also had it happen a few times.
Rather annoying.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm playing Blood West, already deep in chapter 3. Not sure how to rate this. I like the style, the atmosphere. You're given lots of options and freedom. The weapons feel satisfying. You also can't save (only save&quit) and on death will respawn at the nearest save zone with each fallen enemy having a chance to respawn as well. So, on paper you should play carefully, use your brains, and manage your resources well. This was the case for me at the beginning. But pretty early in chapter 1, you can find an item that regenerates your health (the first of many, as it turns out). Well great! Now I will never use a health potion again, except in emergency situations when I need to heal fast. Combined with a weapon that, instead of requiring ammo, costs you a few HP per shot completely rips the game balance apart. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
At this point in chapter 3, I'm practically swimming in money and resources. Almost all of the buff items (booze) are also useless and a waste of inventory space. Even if some of them could be useful in some situations, you can't afford to go into your inventory in the middle of a fight, place the booze item in a use slot, then drink it which also takes a few seconds, only to get a tiny advantage that may or may not help you survive. Character skills are similarly disappointing. I never know how I should spend my XP, because I don't really need any of them. Inventory upgrades are probably the best "skill" to purchase, which is a bad sign. Eh...

There's a really cool game inside this mess somewhere. In its best moments it feels like a first-person Desperados.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It seems Fixt also breaks the caravan runs as well. The caravan leader keeps telling me I abandoned the caravan when there is literally no other way to get out of the encounter.
I guess for my next playthrough I'll have to find another bug fix + graphical fix mod.
Apparently Fallout Et Tu is pretty good, but it changes a lot of mechanics because it uses the Fallout 2 engine.

The Decline

Arcane
It seems Fixt also breaks the caravan runs as well. The caravan leader keeps telling me I abandoned the caravan when there is literally no other way to get out of the encounter.
I guess for my next playthrough I'll have to find another bug fix + graphical fix mod.
Apparently Fallout Et Tu is pretty good, but it changes a lot of mechanics because it uses the Fallout 2 engine.

I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough of Et Tu and it's good. Didn't run into any bugs and I had no problem with mechanics changes.

Krivol

Magister

I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough of Et Tu and it's good. Didn't run into any bugs and I had no problem with mechanics changes.
Yep, et tu seems to be a more polished experience. If you can stomach a (very) few changes here and there, it's the best way to play Fallout today (yet I agree it's not exactly "Original Fallout Experience" so if you have never played Fallout before, or want to play as Tim intended, then go with fixit).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, don't you get a motorcycle in Et Tu? Seems odd.
I dunno, maybe I should go with TeamX instead. Fixit was just disappointing to me because it's supposed to fix the game and yet I ran into issues I didn't have in my first true vanilla playthrough.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that Bruiser is shit. Yes, you get free strength which is pretty nice, but you lose 2 action points which is a worse trade off, especially if you're going for a high agi fast shot build. Without Bruiser I would have 9 AP, which with Bonus RoF would allow me to get off 2 Flamer or SMG bursts. You don't need 8 Str either; it occurred to me after character creation that it would have been better to go 7 str and 10 agi because PA increases str by 3 and miniguns just need 7 str in Fallout 1. I forgot that there was only one variant of the minigun in 1 and thought that there were some big guns that needed more str.

I have no idea what second trait I could have taken though; most of them seem pretty poor for a big guns / burst build.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I dunno, maybe I should go with TeamX instead. Fixit was just disappointing to me because it's supposed to fix the game and yet I ran into issues I didn't have in my first true vanilla playthrough.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that Bruiser is shit. Yes, you get free strength which is pretty nice, but you lose 2 action points which is a worse trade off, especially if you're going for a high agi fast shot build. Without Bruiser I would have 9 AP, which with Bonus RoF would allow me to get off 2 Flamer or SMG bursts. You don't need 8 Str either; it occurred to me after character creation that it would have been better to go 7 str and 10 agi because PA increases str by 3 and miniguns just need 7 str in Fallout 1. I forgot that there was only one variant of the minigun in 1 and thought that there were some big guns that needed more str.

I have no idea what second trait I could have taken though; most of them seem pretty poor for a big guns / burst build.
A MOTORCYCLE?
You're kidding?
That's pretty awesome, but how do you fuel it?
Microfusion cells like in Fallout 2?

Krivol

Magister
A MOTORCYCLE?
You're kidding?
That's pretty awesome, but how do you fuel it?
Microfusion cells like in Fallout 2?
Yes, exactly.

It's not that game-changing (you can find it in Necropolis, so basically almost when you get rid of the more strict time limit).

IIRC it lacks the functionality of Sonora's bike: you can ride it with any number of companions, so imagine that XD. (still, I might be wrong, I played et tu a while ago).

Gandalf

Arbiter
I've dusted off Eador Genesis (great game) and ToMe 4, this time the newest 1.7.6 version (also great game).
I've played both before, but did no remember how to play them after covid disease ruined my memory, so I'm having a blast, feeling like I'm discovering them for the first time! (great feeling).

Lexx

Cipher
Apparently Fallout Et Tu is pretty good, but it changes a lot of mechanics because
It doesn't.

so if you have never played Fallout before, or want to play as Tim intended, then go with fixit).
lol no. Even Fixt "purist" changes lots of stuff here and there.

Only if you enable it in the settings. Not my fault if people are too stupid to read.

you can ride it with any number of companions, so imagine that XD.
You can't.

jackofshadows

Magister
so if you have never played Fallout before, or want to play as Tim intended, then go with fixit).
lol no. Vanilla it is although there could be tech problems running it on modern systems.

Some people are so obvilious to "modders gonna mod" on this site geez (rather about vtmb here than FO but it describes all of them anyway).

I learned that when using that FO2 restoration thingy that brought back the Durlag Tower style dungeon. It really does not fit. Modders have to be reminded that, sometimes, stuff is left in the cutting room floor for a reason. Although the blame in this case lies on the devs, who don't clean up their code.

jackofshadows

Magister
Modders have to be reminded that, sometimes, stuff is left in the cutting room floor for a reason.
100% this. Then again, there's no harm when there's still vanilla version is out there. But I'm getting pissed every time some autist claim that some questionably modded at best build is le true intended version or some shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom