Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your TOP 10 games across all media

Silva

Arcane
Not necessarily in order..

Videogames:
1. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Slightly outdated UI-wise but still the best strategy vidya ever, and packing great, prestigious scifi themes and story. Classic.
2. Dark Souls 1. A masterpiece that made fall in love with action RPGs.
3. STALKER series. Most tense atmosphere I've experienced in a videogame. Period.

Boardgames:
4. Android Netrunner. Amazing 2-players asymetrical mechanics dripping theme. Sold my collection but will never forget you, my love.
5. Dune Boardgame. Most fun experience I've had with a group of players plotting, scheming and politically leveraging each other. Also dripping theme.

TTRPGs:
6. Shadowrun. Super evocative setting even if the rules are slightly clunky. My first TTRPG ever.
7. Apocalypse World. Call me storyfag but this is right my 40ies life alley - fast to pickup and play, easy to prep & run, deliciously narrative. The only shit I'd run nowadays.

Sports:
8. Basketball. Go Nuggets!
9. Football. Aka Soccer for our American redneck friends.
10. MMA. Enough said.

Honorable mentions:
11. Poker. Enough said.
12. Ultima 4. One of my first rpgs. A masterpiece sadly marred by terribly outdated UI.
13. Chess. I lie, shit puts me to sleep.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
In no particular order:

Dwarf Fortress - Been playing it for well over a decade and that game has a crazy simulation engine.
Fallout - Obviously. I used to play this game nearly every day after classes to unwind.
Elite - The original, on the Amiga. I played this thing for months. Also, fuck Thargoids.
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack - Played WC2 to death, got Starcraft and it was just too close to WC2 and I wanted something new. Bought TA on a recommendation, and I played this thing off and on for several years.
Space Engineers - One of the few games that made me upgrade my computer since the simulation engine heavily relies on the GPU. I've built some crazy bases inside asteroids, complete with a hydrogen power emergency start up system in case the reactors ran out of uranium.
General Chaos - Sega Genesis game. It was a crazy squad based arcade-ish tactical game. Got it in a clearance bin back in the day. Played the shit out of this thing.
Doom/Doom II - The entire reason I bought my first PC.
MechForce - Freeware/Shareware Amiga version of BattleTech's board game. One of the first shareware games I registered. Had a mech factory, pilot manager, mission system, and so on. The inspiration for MegaMek.
Populous - Played on the Amiga. Love this game.
The Sims 3 - The only Sims game I have where all the expansion packs. Takes forever to load, but I've built some crazy buildings with this game. Even made some rollercoasters in it with the Boardwalk stuff.

Machocruz

Arcane
Vidya:
Deux Ex - Still finding things I never saw before. Even with considerable flaws it mogs most other games ever made.

X-Com - No modern strategy tactics or wannabe games come close, mostly missing the espressive comic book flair.

Doom(s) - Absolute classic PC gaming. When a good .wad comes out, it's usually the best FPS of that year, again.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Mainstream RPGs are more brain dead than the zombies in this game, it shits on them with its vast number of classes, build possibilities, and a most extensive and useful crafting system. Also one of the fairest RLs out there imo.

PnP:
Cyberpunk 2020 - The system is good, detailed, and lethal, but I think it's the books that really make the game with their entertaining world-building and illustrations. Maybe we'll get a proper vg adaptation one day...

DnD 3E - just lots of fun memories with friends. In general I think DnD being so familiar allows players to unleash their creativity the most out of any TTRPG I've played.

Card:
Blackjack - Just enjoy it the most. Brisk. Satisying to make a good call on a hand.

Carnival/Amusement park:
Shooting gallery games. Any kind of target shooting really. Guns, guns, guns!

Board:
A Lovecraft based game, I think Eldtrich Horror.

Other:
Airsoft

Ash

Arcane
Video games: my top 9 here from an older thread: link So pick any three.

Sports:

4. Football (Soccer)
5. Mountain Biking
6. Swimming.
7. Obstacle Course Racing.
8. Skateboarding.

I am getting older so too pussy (read: wise) to do most of the more extreme sports now. The boring gym is my new "sport".

Boardgames & TTRPG:

None, as they don't compare to video games. I've played and enjoyed some. So I suppose I'd better list.

9. Hero Quest
10. Risk

Card games suck ass, largely luck-based, fuck that.
Mostly I am just all about video games, but I do need to pick sports back up just a little.

Gandalf

Arbiter
4. Android Netrunner. Amazing 2-players asymetrical mechanics dripping theme. Sold my collection but will never forget you, my love.
Great game! There's an online version of it available on jinteki dot net.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
SMAC - the goat
SMAC is amazingly good. Civ II, Call to Power, and Galactic Civilization are all right there as well, but SMAC had a lot of interesting additions to the formula in one fantastic package. It was one of the ones I was debating on putting on my list as well. Master of Orion and Master of Magic deserve a mention as well, and I don't think there's been a successor to either that matched my playtime of those though I did like the Age of Wonders series.

ADL

Prophet
in no particular order except KCD at #1
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Daggerfall
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Deus Ex
Cyberpunk pen&paper
STALKER
Splinter Cell spies vs mercs gamemode
The Two Towers MUD
(honorable mention) HellMOO
emergent gameplay is king

Gandalf

Arbiter
Great game! There's an online version of it available on jinteki dot net.

I've heard the whole community is full of trannies now. Shame as I wouldn't have minded playing it

Well, if you'ew scared of strangers and don't have a friend to play with, you can still play Netrunner against computer ai at: chiriboga . sifnt. net . au

Back on thread topic, I'm still thinking about my TOP 10 games across all media. It's not that easy task.

Cogemesiter

Novice
Video games, no particular order
-Skyrim (Nostalgia and one of the first RPG game I played)
-Deep Rock Galactic (best co-op game imo)
-Adventure Quest Worlds
-All Bloons TD games
-Dark Souls
-Monster Hunter Worlds
-Feudalism 2
Ask me this question in a few weeks and the answers will probably change after I think of some other games. I didn’t have a good PC as a kid, nor did I get a console until much later so I mainly played flash games.

Card games
-Phase 10

Silva

Arcane
Shame on you bros only putting videogames lists. I open such an ingenious thread ( :cool: ) so we can talk about a bazillion topics, and you do that.

Btw, I'm adding Ping Pong to my honorable mention. Such a great little game. Shame I was so bad at it in my youth. Oh, and anybody noticed getting better at some sports or activity as you grow up/past your young years? This happened to me in ping pong. Can't explain why, it's like something clicked and now in my 40s I'm much better than my 15.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shame on you bros only putting videogames lists.
I played Football in high school, the real one, not soccer. I followed college and pro Football for two decades, then politics started taking the stage like it did with other sports, so I ignore it these days. I also could have mentioned Battletech, which I played the Hell out of in high school. Skateboarding also took up much of my time in late high school and a couple years in college. But honestly, narrowing it down to 10 video games is difficult enough without adding other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom