Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE TOP 100 GAMES OF ALL TIME

Stella Brando

Arcane
Nintendo officially releasing their whole back category on PC

These releases likely wouldn't meet the high standards of PC gaming.

Nintendo officially releasing their whole back category on PC

These releases likely wouldn't meet the high standards of PC gaming.

Well, I’m talking Rock Paper Shotgun.

Although the moment any good console game hits PC like two thirds or three fourths of every motherfucker that bitches about consoles being decline and just dismisses them out of hand will start sucking that console game off. I mean look at stuff like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon’s Dogma when they eventually came to PC after their console releases. Although RockPaperShotgun didn’t to that with those two games since they’re nowhere on the list, guess they didn’t think they were as good as fuckin’ Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Where the fuck is Monster Hunter: World you phlebs? I guess being a fairly recent release (past half-decade) it hasn't had time to sink in as the spine-shuddering, genre-redefining, nearly-perfect gem of an RPG/action game that it is. And Monster Hunter is still fairly unknown in the West.

Seriously, can any other game say it has a 10/10 in graphics, soundtrack, gameplay, creature design, audio design, animation, and world design? I think not. The only thing it's missing is a life-changing story, not that it needs one.

Ash

Arcane
I've not played any monster hunter game, as from what I know of the first game they are very grindy, uninspired and extremely narrow in scope. Hastily thrown together to attempt to get ahead of the competition (console online gaming was brand new). and are what autists think is a good game. Skinner box style shit. An alternate spin of Diablo. Now that was the first MH game I looked in to, a long time and many releases ago. Maybe World is in fact :obviously:

So, can others chime in? How good is Monster Hunter: World? Top 100 material, or autist shit that preys on people with addictive personality traits? Also feel free to tell me I am completely wrong about the first game. I never actually played it after all.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Not sure what you mean by "an alternate spin of Diablo"
Games can be designed to be addictive while not being like Diablo at all. I don't see much similarity between Diablo and Monster Hunter games.

Ash

Arcane
Not sure what you mean by "an alternate spin of Diablo"
Games can be designed to be addictive while not being like Diablo at all. I don't see much similarity between Diablo and Monster Hunter games.
Gameplay is mostly only shitty combat and dumb RNG loot grinding. More importantly, it doesn't have actual level design to speak of, just set dressing.

Again, this is in regards to the FIRST game only, and I could also be wrong about it too.
With a name like "world", and almost 20 years later, I am sure the modern ones are very different.

Where the fuck is Monster Hunter: World you phlebs? I guess being a fairly recent release (past half-decade) it hasn't had time to sink in as the spine-shuddering, genre-redefining, nearly-perfect gem of an RPG/action game that it is. And Monster Hunter is still fairly unknown in the West.

Seriously, can any other game say it has a 10/10 in graphics, soundtrack, gameplay, creature design, audio design, animation, and world design? I think not. The only thing it's missing is a life-changing story, not that it needs one.

I’m pretty sure you’re not being serious. But regardless, it’s clearly not a time issue. I mean look at that list. Almost everything on it is newer games. It looks like 39 of the 100 came out within the past five years like Monster Hunter: World did, and 81 of them came out no later than 2010. If there 100 Greatest PC Games of All Time list was a 100 Greatest PC Games Since 2010 list it’d almost be the same thing.

I scrolled through that list kind of fast so that count could be off. I’m bored, but I’m not so bored to make sure that count was right.

Lucumo

Educated
I've not played any monster hunter game, as from what I know of the first game they are very grindy, uninspired and extremely narrow in scope. Hastily thrown together to attempt to get ahead of the competition (console online gaming was brand new). and are what autists think is a good game. Skinner box style shit. An alternate spin of Diablo. Now that was the first MH game I looked in to, a long time and many releases ago. Maybe World is in fact :obviously:

So, can others chime in? How good is Monster Hunter: World? Top 100 material, or autist shit that preys on people with addictive personality traits? Also feel free to tell me I am completely wrong about the first game. I never actually played it after all.
Huh? Monster Hunter came out in 2004. Phantasy Star Online came out in 2000. So I wouldn't call console online gaming "brand new". It also takes a decent amount of inspiration from PSO and Diablo has nothing to do with it.

People who play the series say World is casualized and what came afterwards is even more so.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
With a name like "world", and almost 20 years later, I am sure the modern ones are very different.

Gee, you think?! For starters, you will be inputting weapon attacks with the face buttons rather than the control stick.

You know what? Give me your Steam ID or a P.O. box address. I'm so confident that World is one of the Top 10 games ever made that i'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is. Think of it as a Thanksgiving gift.

If it's shit, you can keep it. Hell, flush it down the toilet, record a video of yourself rubbing steel wool all over the bottom of the disk, do whatever!

Ash

Arcane
Fuck, I swore off online games 5 years ago, too much degeneracy and decline. But if it's THAT good....? I'll keep an open mind to purchase it myself one day. Thanks for your generous offer nonetheless. I needed some kindness today. :salute:

Cheesedragon117

Educated
It's funny that you'd bump such an old thread.

Yeah, they're both good games, but they aren't even remotely comparable. It's a total non-sequitur to try to say one's better than the other. That list didn't seem particularly ordered in the first place.

We should do a Top 30 for each and every genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom