Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Early in this video he pushes back on the use of AI images for crpg potraits. He believes that use of such images would require credit for every use of any inspiration in the data set used to create it.

That's silly. Human beings compose art based on prior imagery and learned experiences that came from any number of sources. We don't give thanks to those on a constant basis, it is the core component of how we learn and iterate. But AI apparently is fraudulent for building something new based on many, many examples of existing content? The vast majority of the time, no one would be able to discern what an AI image used as a basis point.

AI can't see what human intelligence can see, dofus. AI art isn't art.

Artyoan

Arbiter

Early in this video he pushes back on the use of AI images for crpg potraits. He believes that use of such images would require credit for every use of any inspiration in the data set used to create it.

That's silly. Human beings compose art based on prior imagery and learned experiences that came from any number of sources. We don't give thanks to those on a constant basis, it is the core component of how we learn and iterate. But AI apparently is fraudulent for building something new based on many, many examples of existing content? The vast majority of the time, no one would be able to discern what an AI image used as a basis point.

It is 'art' unless you want to get into BS semantics that will be as fruitless as arguing about a definition for 'rpg'. People just feel threatened by it currently. There will always be a place for human crafting of anything. It is derivative, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It is 'art' unless you want to get into BS semantics that will be as fruitless as arguing about a definition for 'rpg'. People just feel threatened by it currently. There will always be a place for human crafting of anything. It is derivative, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

Yes, surely they will always be a place for human craftsmen and artisans (keeping in mind the freedom and independence they require) in the bureaucratic techno-hell of the pod cities and the view of life inherent to them.

Humans didn't need AI to push craftsmanship to the edge of the cliff, but it'll certainly help to throw it over it.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter

Yes, surely they will always be a place for human craftsmen and artisans (keeping in mind the freedom and independence they require) in the bureaucratic techno-hell of the pod cities and the view of life inherent to them.

Humans didn't need AI to push craftsmanship to the edge of the cliff, but it'll certainly help to throw it over it.
I'm much more optimistic. Instead of going over a cliff I see the little man with the big imagination now having access to tools that can let him rival corporations. Also without being captive to a certain ridiculous ideology centered in California.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I'm much more optimistic. Instead of going over a cliff I see the little man with the big imagination now having access to tools that can let him rival corporations. Also without being captive to a certain ridiculous ideology centered in California.

Fair enough, good for you.
It bears mentioning that consolidation and homogenization are deepening and accelerating, not reversing. Anyone off the street has access to the ‘tools’ of, say, UE5 or Unity, but that just means that everyone is using UE5 or Unity and no longer has the capacity to do anything else, no longer making bespoke tools of their own and exactly captive to the whims (ideological and otherwise) of the big corporations as a condition of use.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I see the little man with the big imagination now having access to tools that can let him rival corporations
Well ok, but we've been down that road before. Now any idiot has the same tools on his laptop as a recording studio had in the XX century.

The little man now has all the tools to match the Beatles. And yet the little man produces only trash or mediocre shit.

It's not about the tools.

Artyoan

Arbiter

Fair enough, good for you.
It bears mentioning that consolidation and homogenization are deepening and accelerating, not reversing. Anyone off the street has access to the ‘tools’ of, say, UE5 or Unity, but that just means that everyone is using UE5 or Unity and no longer has the capacity to do anything else, no longer making bespoke tools of their own and exactly captive to the whims (ideological and otherwise) of the big corporations as a condition of use.
This will be my last post on this subject since it is in the middle of a Josh Sawyer thread.

Consolidation has resulted in instability/decline in nearly all of forms of entertainment as the has-been companies sell out to the bigger ones and produce nothing good anymore. Not only that but these same companies enforce gatekeeping qualities like ideology and DEi-style hiring as you said. The difference between AI and any other tool is that of speed and quality balance, as well as bypassing a need for competence across many different venues. Instead of knowing how to draw an impressionist painting of a deer in a field, that can be generated in less than a minute by AI, with good quality. I can't draw that, yet now I can generate it.
WLv24H8.jpeg

Long story short: It isn't the same type of tool that requires years of study and practice. It bypasses the process in favor of the end result in very rapid speed. Which is then available to millions of people who can't be gatekept by much of the same hiring policies and ideological mandates of corporations. We'll see if I'm right in about a decade of AI advancement and use.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

AI also kinda sucks at drawing eyes and ends up drawing cross eyed characters...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom