Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomhaven - roguelike dungeon-crawling adaptation of the board game

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Paladin's Oath? It's Mage Knight instead, but it's not a game I've liked in physical form either. I sold my copy.

Wildermyth?

ss_13cb73afe38d7d0961360cc7ffe646fec2ab176b.600x338.jpg

Or maybe Talisman

edit:

Today we’re excited to announce that we’re going to be making Talisman: Digital Edition free to download and keep on Steam as of May 23rd!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I literally can't find it even manually scrolling through the card-based game section on Steam, lol.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
:necro:

I'm craving some Gloomhaven but not Gloomhaven. What other boardgamey tactics/crawling games are recommended? Tainted Grail?
If you've got the stomach for cutesy SD characters, there's Dokapon Kingdom. Franchise has been around forever and was built to be a digital boardgame from the start. Less tactics/crawling and more exploration/building vibe though.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yes, it's Card Hunter, I just found it.
I tried it on alpha and it was okay. By release the monetization model had fucked up the whole gameplay. Every run you'd get 2 pieces of loot, and the good one was locked behind a paywall. So you had to grind some encounters you'd already cleared to maybe get an upgrade that could get you past the next grindwall/paywall. Several other mechanics were also locked behind paywalls. It was a good game trapped inside a korean mobile MMO.

Did the developers ever die in a trash fire and fixed the game into...well, a game?

EDIT: No they did not.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Try out Etherlords 2 if you haven't played it already. It's a deck-building exploration game (it's more linear than it sounds, but I don't know how to explain it), I don't think there's anything like it out there.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Now that I've thought about it some more, there are 3 other games that come to mind - Warhammer Quest 1/2, Etherlords 2 and another one which someone will have to help me with. It's literally like Gloomhaven with characters and cards and shit, but I can't remember its name. I thought it was HeroQuest at first, but it's not. I'll try to find it. It has more simplistic graphics than Gloomhaven and iirc it's *not* based on a tabletop game, but plays and looks like one. Grunker might know because iirc he was the one who told me about it.

Can you give another hint? I feel a tiny tinge of memory at the outskirts of my addled mind, but not enough to recall

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is probably the closest something has looked to Gloomhaven and I have it wishlisted, however Maddmike’s (decent reviewer) review makes it sound subpar:

There’s also Inkbound which I haven’t played.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom