Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Owlcat Game So Far

Best Owlcat Game so Far?

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 38 38.8%
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 33 33.7%

• Total voters

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I literally stopped playing Kingmaker 45mins in because I couldn't be bothered with being lectured by a bunch of ugly strong womyn companions lol.
Haven't tried any of the rest after that.
Yup, this doesn't happen in Larian game since they're based.
I havent and probably will not play BG3 either
BG3 is anti woke since you can kill anyone you don't like.

If someone made a mod where you get the Kingmaker/Wrath/Rogue Trader launch menu with an additional button, upon pressing which, your computer self-detonates.

notpl

Arbiter
They're all quite flawed, but Wrath achieved a higher degree of C&C, branching, replayabliity, and other such nearly-extinct RPG stuff while having all the same flaws as the other two games. Incredibly disappointed with what huge steps backward they took for RT.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I liked the cozy setting in Kingmaker, but there was too much bullshit in it. Game should have been much shorter. Rogue Trader on the other hand has a lot of things going for it, but it's still a shitshow filled with bugs. Not sure it should be counted as a game to be honest.

Wrath on the other hand is not only playable but I also had fun while beating it. And while Kingmaker and Rogue Trader didn't manage to make me feel like a king and a rogue trader respectively, Wrath succeeded in making me believe I was a commander that's leading an army and that the problems I'm solving can only be solved by me.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingmaker. Maybe I'm giving it more credit than it deserves because it was their first game and I was pleasantly surprised by it despite the flaws. It also has a better atmosphere than WotR.

Wrath is ok too, it's not fundamentally much better or worse than Kingmaker, but somehow the management side-games are even more annoying, and I have less patience for the bugs and unfinished / bad filler content than when playing Kingmaker. I also haven't finished it so far, and judging by the quality of chapters in Kingmaker it's probably going to get worse.

Haven't played Rogue Trader. It looks alright but I'm going to pick it up when it's 50%+ off and more patched up, as you should with all Owlcat games at this point.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kingmaker for sure. First two acts were brilliant. It's been mostly downhill since then.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Let's see, Kingmaker was sold to me on ps4 even though it didn't work properly and it still doesn't to this day so that's out. The writing in wotr was such an abomination that it prematurely aged me with massive hypertensive episodes and ensured I would never buy an owlcat game ever again as long as I live so that's out. I can't play 40k because the past games were both rip-offs and you can't fool me more than twice so that's out. Yep, kingcomrade is the only sensible choice for this poll.

Beans00

Erudite
I only played kingmaker, it was mediocre. I would be willing to play WOTR but it hasn't been in the gift thread, and when it has I lost the raffles for it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Kingmaker by a country mile on every single count. The games have become worse and worse, the good things about PKM dumbed down and the worst elements accentuated.

Whoever implemented crusade management in WOTR should be publicly horsewhipped.

Akka

Novice
Kingmaker, easily.

I like the concept of building your own kingdom, and the story is quite good. I really enjoyed seeing the progression and the massive scale of the game.
WotR has a better writing and more interesting companions, but it's quite too "epic". Not a flaw in itself (it's baked in the concept of the campaign to begin with) but much less of my taste. Also felt more on-rail.
Rogue Trader keeps improving on the writing, but the game is half-finished, quality takes a nosedive in chapter 4 and the gameplay system is just a bloated abomination. Also I despise turn-based combat, so I'm enduring the constant fights rather than enjoying them (and considering how many of them there is, that's a lot of enduring).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Wrath. It has lots of problems and insanely bloat with loot/combat/archetypes. But I love Mythics as a concept. It reinvents replayability to a completely new level.

Falksi

Arcane
Only played the Pathfinder games, but neither were worth it. First game showed signs of brilliance and some real potential, but was ultimately let down by it's garbage structure and wokeness. Wrath was fucking dire.

A million other games out there you'd be better spending time on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing Kingmaker, just defeated the bandit lord so I can't make any statements to the game's overall quality yet.
I'm gonna wait until the final DLC is out for WotR before I even touch that. I don't play RPGs before they're fully completed.
Same with Rogue Trader. I wager it will take at least one or two years for them to be done putting in new content via DLCs, so that how long I'm going to wait.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
You can't really compare them. But if you must, overall, Kingmaker is the best one, they really took a lot of care with it, for example they dropped the description of each monster from the in-game encyclopedia in Wrath... but Wrath has still things that are done better than in Kingmaker.
The mythic paths ensure a lot of replayability, and the implementation of epic level DND is decently done.

They are both solid on the setting and main plot. But companions are pretty meh.

Rogue Trader is OK, it is actually shorter than both the previous games, which is bad, but the setting is well done and so are the companions over all, it even has the best minigame of the three games, the space combat one is actually funny.
Main plot has issues towards the end, I think it was rushed out and they cut a big fat chunk.
The combat being turd based and super easy is unbearable, any fight forces you to lose 10 minutes, and since it is at the moment trivial even on the hardest difficulty, really feels like a chore. Even enjoying a lot the athmosphere I can't force myself to replay it with this combat, while in Wrath and Kingmaker I immediatly started a new game after I finished both. It was still enjoyable enough that I hope they can fix it so I can replay it and see the other paths, and will play the DLC(s) but Owlcat DLCs for the Pathfinder games were quite bad so I am a bit skeptic.

All in all, all three deserve to be played and Owlcat is nowaday the best CRPG maker on the market, nothing come close in the last few years.

Last edited:
Kingmaker was rad up until the end of the cyclops dungeon. I always like games where you build up a town or country. Gobbo companion was fun too. Everything after seemed rushed, house at the end of time was an absolute slog.

Wrath was alright, but the writing felt off the entire game, stuff would just happen with no lead up. Most of the companions were annoying and whiny, tho I heard the module it’s based on is pretty bad so eh? Hated getting booted to the Abyss for no reason, neat area but annoying gimmick. Deffo worst than King bc of the bananas munchkin balance, still the only game I ever looked up a build guide for. Better music, more aggravating gameplay.

RT they overcorrected, combat is piss easy, first 2 chapters are fun, hate the third, bricked my save at the start of Ch 4 by breaking every quest trigger twice. Also LOLin at the Tony Manero tier spaghetti code spooled out all over this thing. Bottom of the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom